U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 AM
 
10,066 posts, read 2,477,022 times
Reputation: 4996

Advertisements

59% of Republicans now think higher ed is bad for America


Equally odd: 59% of Republicans think they actually are Republicans.

 
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 AM
 
238 posts, read 51,516 times
Reputation: 309
Lots of smart poor people out there not going to college due to cost and massive student debt. Can be done affordably by attending community college for 2 years, then transferring to an inexpensive state public college instead of an expensive private. And yes, there should be many more vocational/trade school options for those not pursuing higher education.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM
 
24,106 posts, read 12,658,814 times
Reputation: 7739
Student loan debt is serious. I can't believe there are people in their 50's that still have debt. Most of those people are people who pursued professions like being a lwyer or doctor that required so many years in college....but still -- I would live like a student for years if I had to , to pay down debt.

Having said that...to demonize further education because people are not good with financial planning, prioritizing, being frugal, etc. is and odd approach. I think it is important for there to be discussions on where jobs are, what skills are needed, what is practical and what isn't.

Things are changing slowly. I have three kids that span 10 years almost. I have seen a shift in my youngest son's friend group. There are more that chose a community college for two years, or even a preliminary degree/certificate, especially those that weren't sure what they wanted to pursue.

More discussion, awareness, exploring options is needed.

Just an observation but living in the southeast -- lots of conservative communities, those parents are as anxious to get their kids into university as any of the more liberal parents. I don't see the upper middle class conservatives bashing education.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM
 
27,772 posts, read 19,467,334 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Many of us are in our 50' and 60's so there wasn't the push with the liberal ideas back then - but we've seen the progression of such when our own children and our grandchildren attended college. I fail to see how even liberals can't see the push in institutions for far left thinking - you should be rejoicing and yet you don't see it - which seems to mean - your own indoctrination has you completely hypnotized and you are unable to see things and think for yourself.
yes, i think that's exactly why they don't see it. the same way a fish doesn't know what 'wet' is.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,489 posts, read 4,327,851 times
Reputation: 8053
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Many of us are in our 50' and 60's so there wasn't the push with the liberal ideas back then - but we've seen the progression of such when our own children and our grandchildren attended college. I fail to see how even liberals can't see the push in institutions for far left thinking - you should be rejoicing and yet you don't see it - which seems to mean - your own indoctrination has you completely hypnotized and you are unable to see things and think for yourself.
It really comes down to the fact that conservatives see some things as "far left" that are really just facts. What do you consider 'far left thinking'? Is it science classes teaching evolution? Is it climate change? Is it philosophy classes that may challenge religious faith?
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM
 
432 posts, read 131,249 times
Reputation: 556
I have a friend who has a degree in Architecture from a top school who works at a call center. His family thinks he's foolish but he's happy doing what he is doing. He could do almost anything with his intelligence and education and his education gives him those options. He does the job he does because he likes it not because he has no choice. That is what education gives you, a greater choice in what to do with your life.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Brackenwood
3,603 posts, read 1,426,943 times
Reputation: 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
59% of Republicans are morons.

Not exactly a surprise.
I'm guessing you honed your reasoning skills at college.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 AM
 
20,540 posts, read 11,453,072 times
Reputation: 20755
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I have a friend who has a degree in Architecture from a top school who works at a call center. His family thinks he's foolish but he's happy doing what he is doing. He could do almost anything with his intelligence and education and his education gives him those options. He does the job he does because he likes it not because he has no choice. That is what education gives you, a greater choice in what to do with your life.
Sure was a lot of money spent on that choice, though.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM
 
20,540 posts, read 11,453,072 times
Reputation: 20755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Lots of smart poor people out there not going to college due to cost and massive student debt. Can be done affordably by attending community college for 2 years, then transferring to an inexpensive state public college instead of an expensive private. And yes, there should be many more vocational/trade school options for those not pursuing higher education.
The "inexpensive state public college" I went to cost $25 per credit hour in the early 70s. I was making $2.50 an hour working part time, so I could pay off a full semester's tuition in half the semester working part time.

Now that same "inexpensive state public college" costs $400 per credit hour. It's not possible for a student to pay off tuition working part time (unless he's selling narcotics).

Moreover, those "inexpensive state public colleges" tend to have punitive admittance for students transferring from community colleges--denying many of those credit hours and requiring courses to be retaken.

Colleges these days are pursuing similar money-grubbing, screw-the-customer policies as any big business.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 AM
 
49,191 posts, read 46,058,867 times
Reputation: 15612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Both sides deny science in favor of their own ideologies.

Conservatives tend to be religious ideologs, liberals tend to be Lamarckian evolutionists.
This likely explains why politicians on both sides get it wrong when it comes to global warming/climate change. One reason I trust a scientist over many politicians, on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top