Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Many of us are in our 50' and 60's so there wasn't the push with the liberal ideas back then - but we've seen the progression of such when our own children and our grandchildren attended college. I fail to see how even liberals can't see the push in institutions for far left thinking - you should be rejoicing and yet you don't see it - which seems to mean - your own indoctrination has you completely hypnotized and you are unable to see things and think for yourself.
Give some examples of this supposed leftwing indoctrination purpetrated by teachers..As it seems to me if i dont follow your way of thinking then i'm completely hypnotized and are unable to see things and think for yourself.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
WRONG! Once a BIG advocate but now you either start out with huge debt or you don't get an education. You kids are screwed thanks to college professors and administrators. THINK ABOUT IT..

WHO? is charging those inflated prices. The professors, essentially the kids are funding their retirement and the administrators who OF COURSE want gov't to keep the money flowing.

WHO? is effected if the kids opt not to go into debt to pay for their college? You got it, the professors and administration. So OF COURSE they want gov't to guarantee your tax dollar keeps the money flowing and fund their retirements.

Stop and think for once instead of buying the rhetoric.

Stop being fools and fighting for their mismanagement and greed.

Last edited by petch751; 08-21-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-21-2019, 11:30 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Most people that are in a discipline like engineering pay little attention to the "indoctrination" they might or might not be getting in their humanities courses. Mastering advanced calculus, thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid dynamics permits little if any time to even think about fluff like that. My experience anyway. Plus people that are in STEM fields are usually highly logical folks, and are generally immune to "indoctrination" from any source,
So how does that explain the many Soviet dissidents who were scientists? Maybe they applied that logic and reasoning to politics, democracy and human rights.

Chinese dissident Fang Lizhi was an astrophysicist.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
College attendance will not suffer at all. The reality is that you will always look better with a college degree to employers. Might as well get one if you're okay with going to school.

If you dislike school, pick a career direction and work, work, work to get experience!!

Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All the name calling won't change the fact that F1 visas are down almost 50% and colleges are worried about all that lost money.
Part of that is because your country has given the impression that it's a bit more hostile to foreign students. Glad that you've at least agreed that it's an issue.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
WRONG! Once a BIG advocate but now you either start out life with a huge education bill or you don't get an education. You kids are screwed thanks to college professors and administrators.

Think about it.. WHO? is charging those inflated prices. The professors who want the kids to fund their retirement and the administrators who OF COURSE want gov't to keep the money flowing. WHO? is effected if the kids opt not to put themselves in debt to pay those costs? You got it, the professors and administration. otherwise people may stop putting their lives on hold to pay off exorbitant college debt. So OF COURSE they want gov't to guarantee your tax money pay them.
The thing is, though, most of the professors and instructors are not making that much money.

Now the football coaches--they're making the bucks. There are some college football coaches with higher salaries than any other government employee in the nation, including the president of the United States.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Did you go to school ? if so how did you avoid this supposed evil Far Left Progressive liberal indoctrination?
I went to college and I live in a very liberal area. My sociology professor was gay and really enjoyed talking about the LGBT community. It was called counter culture back then, and now it's in mainstream media.

But I just went to class and turned in my papers. I didn't have to believe in anything they said.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

This is not really surprising given our current culture that views higher education, with the exception of institutions like Liberty University, as liberal indoctrination centers. Still, I think this is an alarming trend. There are a lot of issues with the higher education system in the US today but I'm pretty certain that's not why conservatives are turning so rapidly against it. I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
Yeah, no. It isn't learning that is the issue, it's the fact that colleges are indoctrinating rather than teaching. It isn't just colleges, either. My daughter started high school this year, and their curriculum is ridiculous. Very little real history is taught for fear of offending some subset of SJWs. Even language arts is turning political in the choices of reading material.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:04 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Give some examples of this supposed leftwing indoctrination purpetrated by teachers..As it seems to me if i dont follow your way of thinking then i'm completely hypnotized and are unable to see things and think for yourself.
Computer Science..master/slave model.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
What was the quesiotn they asked? Usually it is something like "Do you think trade schools are more critical right now to the USA's future than colleges?

Me. Yes. We have too few trade schools and too many colleges. Too many unskilled liberal arts bachelors massively in debt and too few electricians. We definitely need to shift our focus somewhat and quit teaching kids that trades = failure and that college is the only way to success.

them: Ok this guy hates higher ed - check the box.

But wait, I sent all my kids to college, some have advanced degrees, one is a college professor and i am very proud of her, and some left college to do something else.

"Too late, you already said it. we checked the box. Now lets confirm you are a republican.

"No I am independent. I vote for whichever candidates seem to make the most sense or be the least corrupt. Generally for me that if more frequently Republican than Democrat, but i pretty much despise the parties entirely.

OK check the box. He said the word "republican" Another republican college haters. there we met our quota. Now we can say most republicans hate college. Our followers can now brand themselves even more elite and superior and deny the other side might have any merit whatsoever, they are just a bunch of ignorant college haters and we are superior - good job team. .

Of course both sides engage in this BS. This time it just happens to be the left. give it a month and there will be an equally ridiculous republican counter-study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies