U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 03:11 PM

11,139 posts, read 9,524,982 times

Advertisements

There's a dichotomy between what higher education should be, and what it's become.

What it should be:
- Advanced education in specialized topics
- A platform for advanced research.

What it has become
- Party central
- Left wing political indoctrination
- A way of separating students from their and their parents money to fund overpaid college administrator and a few select professors (the rest of whom subsist on substandard wages)
- A way for financial companies to saddle students with vast amounts of debt they'll be paying forever, that can't even be discharged in bankruptcy
- big money sports leagues.

What's there to be skeptical about?

Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM

20,232 posts, read 19,232,505 times
Most people would be against college for everyone. College is supposed to be for the most talented people, people who would have something to gain by attending. It's not for everyone and they are wasting their time and money if they don't have the intellect to be able to learn and achieve.

Colleges have become diploma mills too, watering down the classwork just so they can admit more students, students who aren't even qualified. It's all about money.

Democrats are against college for everyone too. When you get college students who need to take remedial English and remedial math, what are they doing in college? There are other things to learn that don't need college. Take a survey of Democrats and see how many of us think these kids today should all be in college. No, a lot of them should be somewhere learning a trade or getting a community college degree in something useful and practical.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's a dichotomy between what higher education should be, and what it's become.

What it should be:

What it has become
- Party central
- Left wing political indoctrination
- A way of separating students from their and their parents money to fund overpaid college administrator and a few select professors (the rest of whom subsist on substandard wages)
- A way for financial companies to saddle students with vast amounts of debt they'll be paying forever, that can't even be discharged in bankruptcy
- big money sports leagues.

I'm a Democrat but we agree on most of this. It's obvious that colleges (for a long time) have been party central. I lived near a major university and all they did was drink and party. That's not uncommon and it's not what they are there for. Way too expensive--and the university said they didn't care because they would just recruit rich foreign students who could afford to pay the high costs.

I don't think it's left wing indoctrination though. This is a time in their lives when kids are growing up and thinking for themselves, talking to kids other than the kids they grew up with, so they will most likely change their minds about some things. No one indoctrinates them.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:32 PM

7,326 posts, read 1,599,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
What I think is that taxpayers are tired of paying for educations that do not result in graduates getting jobs that enable them to pay back student loans and keep them permanently off any kind of government subsidies.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:33 PM

9,079 posts, read 7,879,847 times
Unfortunately, there are many sciences and social sciences that accept only liberal assumptions. Hard sciences reject anything contrary to evolution, archelogy denies any findings contrary to their established orthodoxy, social sciences are constantly changing with societies trends. (Homosexuality used to be considered a mental illness by APA). Meteiorology students must accept man made global warming. That is not science, when fundamental assumptions cannot be challenged or tested.

This is why much of higher education is a waste of money and time. I'd rather my grandson become a plumber.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:36 PM

5,134 posts, read 2,067,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most people would be against college for everyone. College is supposed to be for the most talented people, people who would have something to gain by attending. It's not for everyone and they are wasting their time and money if they don't have the intellect to be able to learn and achieve.

Colleges have become diploma mills too, watering down the classwork just so they can admit more students, students who aren't even qualified. It's all about money.

Democrats are against college for everyone too. When you get college students who need to take remedial English and remedial math, what are they doing in college? There are other things to learn that don't need college. Take a survey of Democrats and see how many of us think these kids today should all be in college. No, a lot of them should be somewhere learning a trade or getting a community college degree in something useful and practical.
Your premise ain't hard to prove...

I kid you not, one of the "journalists" laid off from Huffington Post earlier this year actually admitted she had a PhD in... Hollywood Romantic Comedies!!!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM

14,322 posts, read 6,555,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Unfortunately, there are many sciences and social sciences that accept only liberal assumptions. Hard sciences reject anything contrary to evolution, archelogy denies any findings contrary to their established orthodoxy, social sciences are constantly changing with societies trends. (Homosexuality used to be considered a mental illness by APA). Meteiorology students must accept man made global warming. That is not science, when fundamental assumptions cannot be challenged or tested.

This is why much of higher education is a waste of money and time. I'd rather my grandson become a plumber.
Your grandson will do whatever he wants, not what you want.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 350,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

More like debt mills.

Only 60% graduated college after 6 years there..2011-2017
Open admission college..graduation rate was 31%
Selective admission college..graduation rate was 87%

All those that dropped out have loans to pay off. They didn't graduate so they won't get those good paying jobs.

While this is just one cohort that is reported there are links to the other years. It's a pattern.
Everyone is a winner. Everyone goes to college. That mantra is creating a huge debt burden on entire generations.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

Well, if someone studies at a college that thinks evolution is fake, they're probably not going to learn much there anyway, nothing that will get them a job. Archaeology, I agree, is very set in its ways but there aren't many jobs in it anyway. Most archaeologists end up digging up a bit of a parking lot behind a Walmart and that's about it.

Social sciences do change with the times. It's a good thing that homosexuality is not considered a mental illness. Social science would be a good field to go into with all the elderly folks out there needing help--and more to come. One's political stance shouldn't matter when it comes to helping people. Meteorology, I don't know if they force you to believe that. I don't think it's been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt.

None of these studies would be affected by so-called "liberal indoctrination."

Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM

16,705 posts, read 4,382,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

What it should be:

Thanks for your opinion........

Unfortunately for you, history shows many of the advancements of mankind were created by people who "think outside the box".....you know, like....

"Steve Jobs touted the importance of liberal arts and humanities at the unveiling of the iPad 2: ďItís in Appleís DNA that technology alone is not enough ó itís technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the result that makes our heart sing, and nowhere is that more true than in these post-PC devices"

"although a degree made a big difference in the success of an entrepreneur, the field it was in and the school that it was from were not significant factors. YouTube chief executive Susan Wojcicki, for instance, majored in history and literature; Slack founder Stewart Butterfield in English; Airbnb founder Brian Chesky in the fine arts. And, in China, Alibaba chief executive Jack Ma has a bachelorís in English."

Hmmm.....are you more accomplished than Jack Ma or Wojcicki?

If so I am ready to throw out facts and my personal opinion and considers yours....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or