U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 PM

1,661 posts, read 349,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Success from a bachelor's degree requires above-average intelligence. Either a person has to be able to get a marketable degree--and they all require above-average intelligence--or the person needs above-average intelligence to make himself marketable with an unmarketable degree.

People of average or slightly less intelligence might be guided to a soft bachelor's degree (why, for Gawd's sake, do some colleges offer a "Bachelor of Science in General Studies?" What a fracking cash grab that is!). But that will be a great debt that won't pay for itself for those people.

Technical education (not just "trades") is the greater benefit to the greater percentage of kids. But the entire education system needs to be reformed to that end. Right now, a senior could have a D average, and his high school counselor will still encourage him to go into debt for that Bachelor of Science in General Studies instead of med-tech training.
That D won't get him into a university but does guarantee him a seat at a CC where they spend 2 years taking remedial classes (HS content) and then drop out with no education and a student loan to pay off.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:13 PM

5,334 posts, read 3,811,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

This is not really surprising given our current culture that views higher education, with the exception of institutions like Liberty University, as liberal indoctrination centers. Still, I think this is an alarming trend. There are a lot of issues with the higher education system in the US today but I'm pretty certain that's not why conservatives are turning so rapidly against it. I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
You don't realize how goofy you sound, do you?

Old 08-20-2019, 01:22 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,422,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
No doubt they're being told to reject college by people who already have a college degree.
That's because those of us who have been through the indoctrination wringer and have experience with it better understand its diminished value, especially in proportion to the debt debt load one must take on nowadays to complete a degree program.

Beyond its indoctrination function, a bachelor degree these days is little more than a gate-keeping process -- either for employers who use a degree as a proxy for intelligence and aptitude for jobs that used to only require a high school degree, or a stepping stone for grad school where you might actually (but not necessarily) learn something useful. Unless your chosen field absolutely requires a degree, the cost-to-benefit ratio isn't so clear any more. You're probably just as well if not better off going to a trade school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
How very sad that there are so many ignorant people in the US.
I'm not nearly as saddened by laymen's ignorance as I am by college grads who were taught to be deliberately stupid.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,098,002 times
I can understand the offputting character that many feel towards higher eduction whether a myth/anecdote/truth:

1) higher education costs too much money and can you leave with mounting debt that will be difficult if not impossible to repay.
2) higher education comes at an opportunity cost of delaying years of income generation.
3) higher education leans too liberal and presents learning styles that are not as accepting to conservatives (Socratic method, peer review, etc).
4) higher education is not necessary for most jobs and family businesses.
5) hard work is worth more than a college degree.
6) universities are too far from the family hub.
7) conservatives principles preach self-sufficiency and parents would rather their progeny be one their own once they turn 18; they have less interest in financially supporting them through college.
8) they don't want their progeny to be more educated or more wealthy than them; they don't want their kids to look down on them.
9) they all know at least one person who went off to college and came our worse.
10) college lifestyle is full of sex, alcohol, drugs, & partying.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:55 PM

10,692 posts, read 6,429,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I can understand the offputting character that many feel towards higher eduction whether a myth/anecdote/truth:

1) higher education costs too much money and can you leave with mounting debt that will be difficult if not impossible to repay.
2) higher education comes at an opportunity cost of delaying years of income generation.
3) higher education leans too liberal and presents learning styles that are not as accepting to conservatives (Socratic method, peer review, etc).
7) conservatives principles preach self-sufficiency and parents would rather their progeny be one their own once they turn 18; they have less interest in financially supporting them through college.
8) they don't want their progeny to be more educated or more wealthy than them; they don't want their kids to look down on them.
9) they all know at least one person who went off to college and came our worse.

I wouldn't consider #10 a negative....

Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 PM

1,241 posts, read 221,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post

The first two are the only concerns for most Americans. If college was 10K for a bachelors and 20K for a Masters no one would be complaining right now.

The rest is up to the individual student. No one makes you protest, turn gay, drink, or forced you to have sex. God forbid you hear an opposing view point these days, will your child survive? College in person is not like a movie, trust me I was disappointed by a mile. Unless your at an Ivy league school, amazing how the well to do allow their kids to do what they want, but the middle class stiffs always want to hover.

And scre@ who ever #8 is in your family, ditch that loser ASAP. You could shovel crap all day and your PHD kid will love you if your not a crap parent.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 PM

14,322 posts, read 6,553,798 times
Meanwhile in some other countries, there are kids who risk their lives to get an education, thatís how important it is to them.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:01 PM

14,322 posts, read 6,553,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
You don't realize how goofy you sound, do you?
Nah, that poster got it right.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:11 PM

20,196 posts, read 14,940,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I earned an advanced degree in a STEM field from a public university and it unquestionably was a liberal indoctrination center. I was 100% bought into Democrat beliefs, essentially brainwashed and I didnít realize it at the time.

Furthermore this also occurred, but to a lesser degree at the public middle and high schools I attended.

It took 2-3 years of being out in the real world and thinking for myself to open my eyes.

The degrees enable me to live a comfortable, high income life. So there is absolutely value in higher education. But anyone who argues that most education facilities arenít operated by liberals who seek to pollute the minds of their young followers is either delusional or dishonest.
Your experience being in a STEM related program was a little different than mine. I'm an Aerospace Engineer, and graduated from a large state University, where the ME/Aero and other Engineering Students were overwhelmingly conservative, compared to the social science and non-Science programs. After-all if Liberals were designing and building Aircraft they would be falling from the sky.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 349,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Your experience being in a STEM related program was a little different than mine. I'm an Aerospace Engineer, and graduated from a large state University, where the ME/Aero and other Engineering Students were overwhelmingly conservative, compared to the social science and non-Science programs. After-all if Liberals were designing and building Aircraft they would be falling from the sky.
It's just recently that social justice is entering the hard science.
Do you know that the computer term master/slave is considered politically incorrect and that term has been banned in some places ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or