U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM

8,776 posts, read 2,028,757 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with higher education--and any education, for that matter--as long as it's 100% privately funded.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:48 PM

16,683 posts, read 4,382,445 times
What percentage of Republicans think Humans never evolved?

48%
Another 9% don't know.

bringing that total to about the same as this one.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:49 PM

20,506 posts, read 11,438,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That D won't get him into a university but does guarantee him a seat at a CC where they spend 2 years taking remedial classes (HS content) and then drop out with no education and a student loan to pay off.
Oh, public universities also have remedial courses these days. They're not going to stand by while community colleges get that lucrative loan money. So the universities and the government will happily encourage the D student to just keep plugging and spending money to get to that Bachelor of Science in General Studies.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:49 PM

16,683 posts, read 4,382,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
There's nothing wrong with higher education--and any education, for that matter--as long as it's 100% privately funded.
Oh, the Saudis are standing in line to fund it...in fact, they already do. But if we want to they would be glad to fund much more of it as long as they are "free" to teach Religion along with it.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I can understand the offputting character that many feel towards higher eduction whether a myth/anecdote/truth:

1) higher education costs too much money and can you leave with mounting debt that will be difficult if not impossible to repay.
2) higher education comes at an opportunity cost of delaying years of income generation.
3) higher education leans too liberal and presents learning styles that are not as accepting to conservatives (Socratic method, peer review, etc).
4) higher education is not necessary for most jobs and family businesses.
5) hard work is worth more than a college degree.
6) universities are too far from the family hub.
7) conservatives principles preach self-sufficiency and parents would rather their progeny be one their own once they turn 18; they have less interest in financially supporting them through college.
8) they don't want their progeny to be more educated or more wealthy than them; they don't want their kids to look down on them.
9) they all know at least one person who went off to college and came our worse.
10) college lifestyle is full of sex, alcohol, drugs, & partying.
I have never met a parent with the attitude of #8. At the worse, they'd want their children to do better in order to support them in their old age.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM

8,776 posts, read 2,028,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Oh, the Saudis are standing in line to fund it...in fact, they already do. But if we want to they would be glad to fund much more of it as long as they are "free" to teach Religion along with it.
How is the government of a foreign country “privately funded?”

Old 08-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Your experience being in a STEM related program was a little different than mine. I'm an Aerospace Engineer, and graduated from a large state University, where the ME/Aero and other Engineering Students were overwhelmingly conservative, compared to the social science and non-Science programs. After-all if Liberals were designing and building Aircraft they would be falling from the sky.
And there is a professor out there teaching that "turbulence" is a female characteristic and aerospace engineering is inherently sexist because they are opposed to turbulence.

Really. I'm not joking.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:57 PM

11,018 posts, read 10,681,731 times
And you know perfectly well which sort of "higher ed" they feel is bad for America. Nothing like half truths in reporting, eh?

I also feel "higher ed" is bad for America. And I WORK in higher ed. But it is not academic knowledge that I feel is bad. What I feel is bad would be biased teaching and indoctrination. And that is rampant in America's "higher ed." Anyone who wants REAL higher education needs to be an autodidact or attend one of the few colleges that offer true higher education--how to think and reason, rather than what to think and whom to hate.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM

17,166 posts, read 11,986,597 times
Higher ed has out priced itself.

Higher ed is a big business democrats protect from criticism. Higher ed, formerly called Colleges and universities, now portal of social justice, turn out indoctrinated JV democrats in return.

Democrats want more taxpayer cash to give to the schools in the form of tuition. Really a money laundering scheme. Teacher unions, like in NJ, spent 7 million dollars of conscripted teacher pay to fight a proposal by the governor. of course in alignment with the democrat party....money to spare.

Why are rising edu costs never addressed? Why is higher edu exempt from protests and attacks dems wage on big business???

Dems on the other hand want everyone to go to college, not for their benefit, but for the benefit of dems symbiotic relationship with BIG BUSINESS EDU. they must feed the furnace to keep recruits and votes coming.

A simple case of reapplied dem strategy, where they nurture problems and milk them for political advantage. Solving a problem would be one less weapon in the dems quiver of poison tipped arrows.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Dems on the other hand want everyone to go to college, not for their benefit, but for the benefit of dems symbiotic relationship with BIG BUSINESS EDU. they must feed the furnace to keep recruits and votes coming.
Pushing bachelor degrees to the exclusion of all else has been the public policy of every administration, Republican and Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or