U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 PM

1,917 posts, read 643,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The world is full of bias.

Kids grow up having to process that...even from their parents.

Recognizing that there is some kind of bias in all of us and spouting 'indoctrination' are two different things.
Indoctrination is passing bias off as truth, and not offering up alternative perspectives. If you couch your bias as such, such as by saying something is your opinion and not fact, and allow viewpoint diversity, I agree that is not indoctrination. Sadly many universities are rife with indoctrination.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 PM

24,065 posts, read 12,638,521 times
I guess my experience - my most liberal teachers have always presented the alternatives. They may still support their own bias, but they have always explored the options. To me that's what being more 'liberal' is about. It is being more open to ideas, theories, cultures, religions, political differences.

Based on that -- higher education than is more liberal - -it is the exploration of all ideas - -not just the adoption of a theory that fits a certain stereotype.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:35 PM

235 posts, read 49,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Sure, like they'll just let you opt out of the groupthink. Even professors at the indoctrination centers have to toe the line or risk losing their jobs.

That's why it's such a shame so many of our institutions of "higher learning" are so dedicated to churning out armies of ignorant fools.
Of course some professors have biases..."indoctrination" is really too strong of a word though.

I'd say "armies of ignorant fools" with a college degree much better than a bunch of gang bangers that probably dropped out of high school.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 AM

11,029 posts, read 4,560,055 times
Quote:
I guess my experience - my most liberal teachers have always presented the alternatives. They may still support their own bias, but they have always explored the options. To me that's what being more 'liberal' is about. It is being more open to ideas, theories, cultures, religions, political differences.

Based on that -- higher education than is more liberal - -it is the exploration of all ideas --not just the adoption of a theory that fits a certain stereotype.
Sounds good, but when sentiments like this come from a poster who always toes the PC line, and seems impervious to contrary arguments, it rings hollow. Some make, "being more open to ideas" seem like a meaningless catch phrase.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:09 AM

20,195 posts, read 14,940,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I think that college curriculum has drifted far from education and has docked at political indoctrination
Absolutely. At one time Berkley area had bright Professors that put out quality well rounded students, now they hire their professors from ANTIFA groups.

"If you hit 7 people on the head with a bike lock and none of them dies, you are lucky, not virtuous. Sounds like attempted murder under the “depraved indifference” concept:"

No jail time for Berkeley bike lock philosopher Eric Clanton, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 AM

11,029 posts, read 4,560,055 times
Quote:
What exactly is being indoctrinated at MIT, ----

Please tell me?
OK...?

I don't know how successful she's been, but the woman in charge of the library at MIT has dedicated herself to the task of making people think negatively about the contributions of white men to literature.

Purging libraries of books by white men

Old 08-21-2019, 02:31 AM

4,179 posts, read 1,617,564 times
We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone

Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!

Pink Floyd, 1979

Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,404,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://reason.com/2019/08/19/pew-su...s-safe-spaces/

This is not really surprising given our current culture that views higher education, with the exception of institutions like Liberty University, as liberal indoctrination centers. Still, I think this is an alarming trend. There are a lot of issues with the higher education system in the US today but I'm pretty certain that's not why conservatives are turning so rapidly against it. I believe it has more to do with the fact that conservatives don't want people learning and accepting science over a Biblical worldview and they don't want youth being exposed to the different cultures and lifestyles they are exposed to on a secular college campus. What do you think?
Please - as a conservative Democrat I've realized that higher education - pushed on everyone since the 70s - was a bad idea. More so now with the scam courses and degrees that don't lead to jobs. Besides which we now have a lack of blue collar workers in fields like plumbers, pipe fitters, electricians. Has nothing to do with being a Republican although your hate for them has always been apparent.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:36 AM

19,147 posts, read 9,289,102 times
Higher Education has become and INDOCTRINATION camp, and less a place of learning, and diverse thought. Lock step Far Left Progressive indoctrination. No freedom of speech, nor thought. No tolerance, no diversity of views. I would advise young people today to get their education on line as much they can and tune out the political, SJW, PC indoctrination.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:44 AM

34,785 posts, read 42,006,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Higher Education has become and INDOCTRINATION camp, and less a place of learning, and diverse thought. Lock step Far Left Progressive indoctrination. No freedom of speech, nor thought. No tolerance, no diversity of views. I would advise young people today to get their education on line as much they can and tune out the political, SJW, PC indoctrination.
Did you go to school ? if so how did you avoid this supposed evil Far Left Progressive liberal indoctrination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or