U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:38 AM

33,720 posts, read 14,208,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If everyone who voted for Hillary donated $1.00/year, PP would have that $60 million in Title X funds it refused. I'm sure wealthy supporters could afford more than $1.00. Besides, PP is rolling in dough.

PP boasts that 97% of its services go to health care other than abortion, only 3% for abortions. Why would you or anyone else support its decision to sacrifice Title X funding for the 97% in order to keep the abortion business.
Their point is regarding doctors being prohibited from discussing abortion as an alternative after 50 years of being allowed to do so. I wish they would have fought the battle, it would have been interesting to see the Trump administration pulling their funding because of a doctors conversation with a patient, this sounds very 3rd world.

So in a nation where 50% of births are funded by Medicaid this administration wants to pull funding over alternatives to birth, does that make any sense at all. Asking for public donations instead of Title X funding that has been in place since the 1970's, why,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:53 AM

32,577 posts, read 60,291,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Back in the day, PP was about planning. It was a place to get cheap pap smears, birth control pills, std checks, referrals for wanted pregnancies, parenting and yes even some abortions. I've watched it evolve into a political hot mess abortion mill. I think it's outlived it's purpose, women can go elsewhere.
Planned Parenthood is about women's and men's sexual/reproductive health, which includes family planning. The locations near me do not provide abortions, and there are no other Title X clinics within 20 miles of the towns in which I live and work.

So, no, women cannot go elsewherel

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think the last time I walked into PP was around seven years ago. The first time I walked into one was in the late '70's. The difference was striking and disappointing. It was not about family or planning anymore, it was all about abortion.
I am still a Planned Parenthood patient. The location I go to has nothing of the kind, aside from a pamphlet about choices and referrals for pregnant women, including, but not limited to, abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is an excellent outcome and puts an end to a chunk of the abortion debate as far as most people are concerned.
Title X has nothing to do with abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The numbers say otherwise but back to the point, I don't know why people celebrate defunding planned parenthood since the end result will be fewer services for poor women.
Yeah, I don't get it, either. Planned Parenthood not being a Title X provider will not stop women from seeking abortions at Planned Parenthood or any other provider. All it will do is prevent low- and moderate-income women from receiving health care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Why would you or anyone else support its decision to sacrifice Title X funding for the 97% in order to keep the abortion business.
I don't support the decision, although I support Planned Parenthood. I think Planned Parenthood is cutting off its nose to spite its face. I think Planned Parenthood could win a court battle over this, based on precedent of privacy and privilege between a doctor and patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense. PP is just a very small percentage of the FQHCs, nationwide, that already provide Title X family planning and comprehensive health care services to women.
It's your post that makes no sense. Planned Parenthood is NOT a Federally Qualified Health Center, nor are most of the Title X providers.

I do wish you'd read this:

https://www.hrsa.gov/opa/eligibility...qhc/index.html

It will tell you exactly what an FQHC is. The FQHC designation has nothing to do with Title X.

I suspect you know that, but are being willfully obstinate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or