U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:20 AM

66,978 posts, read 30,690,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No it doesn’t sound promising but somehow restricting poor women information on abortion is some kind of victory.
Using abortion as birth control is cruelly evil. Much better to spend that money on offering contraceptives education, services, and meds and devices. Prevent pregnancy before abortion is even a consideration. There are 14,000+ FQHCs that provide publicly-funded family planning services (and other comprehensive women's health care) throughout the US. Planned Parenthood, at less than 700 locations, is redundant, unnecessary, and grotesquely focused on promoting abortion as a method of birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:27 AM

27,626 posts, read 15,981,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is no guarantee what percentage the feds will pay for that going forward. It started at 100% and will drop to 90 percent next year where it's supposed to stay. If funding is cut further the state will be on the hook to make up for it.
I remember a number of states said no simply because it was ObamaCare. Arizona was one of a few to expand Medicaid especially for the children.

Old Today, 07:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 1,392,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
All this proves is that they were using the money for abortions. They could easily keep accepting the money for all those services they keep claiming they provide that are essential.

Didn't Obamacare expand insurance to millions, including Medicaid to millions to low-income people? Why do they need to go to Planned Parenthood to get their pills or STD screenings?
And PP is the only 'women's health clinic' that gets federal funding.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

30,694 posts, read 20,263,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Mmmm, no actually, no it doesn’t. Try again.
That's exactly what it does.

If they only provided mammograms and free contraceptives to poor women (what their propaganda would have us believe), the abortion issue wouldn't be an issue.

Old Today, 08:10 AM

14,312 posts, read 6,520,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That's exactly what it does.

If they only provided mammograms and free contraceptives to poor women (what their propaganda would have us believe), the abortion issue wouldn't be an issue.
Nope, it doesn’t.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

32,574 posts, read 60,241,453 times
I'm not surprised that most of you applauding this decision by Planned Parenthood a) do not understand how Title X and federal funding work; b) do not understand accounting and auditing procedures, especially where federal funding is concerned; and c) do not understand what this gag order was all about.

But go ahead and keep your heads in the sand (or elsewhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Just proves they were using the funds the government gave them to abort babies.
Actually, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm fairly positive the US government will have no problems finding other organizations that are willing to take on the onerous task of accepting 60 million in funding to provide the same services.
I live and work in two towns in Montgomery County, Pa. Both have Planned Parenthood offices; neither of those offices provides abortions. Both are Title X providers. There are no other Title X providers within 20 miles of either location. Take away the Title X services from these two Planned Parenthood locations, and there will be no Title X services in Montgomery County at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
They were NOT using federal funds for abortions. This has been explained time and time again.
Don't bother. It's like talking to a brick wall. If there's anything more uninformed than a brick wall, it's like talking to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
If you think the fed money did not support, albeit indirectly, PP abortions efforts, you are seriously mistaken.
If you think the feds don't audit every single penny that comes from Title X payments, you are seriously mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You can't separate the services provided by Planned Parenthood with a straight face
See answer answers a and b above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are 14,000+ FQHCs that provide publicly-funded family planning services (and other comprehensive women's health care) throughout the US.
There are not, and your argument has been shot down time and time again. You trot out this lame canard at least a dozen times during every discussion about Planned Parenthood.

There are not 14,000 Federally Qualified Health Centers in the United States. You are confusing Federally Qualified Health Centers with federal Title X funding. We've been over this time and again; you refuse to educate yourself. Now I am quite sure from your posts that you do not know what a Federally Qualified Health Center is, or what that designation means. Not all FQHC organizations receive Title X funding. They might provide birth control, but they don't necessarily receive Title X funding.

And once again, I'll remind you that not all Title X recipient organizations are open to the general public. There are dozens of Title X recipients in Philadelphia, for instance; however, many of them are in public high schools, homeless shelters, and other organizations that serve specific population. I can't go to the nearest high school clinic for a diaphragm, but a student attending that school can.

Quote:
Planned Parenthood, at less than 700 locations, is redundant, unnecessary
See my response to the coalman above.

After eliminating Planned Parenthood clinics from the number of Title X providers, and Title X providers that restrict their patient population, you're not left with many Title X recipients that are open to the general public. In Philly, you're left with about a dozen in a metro population of more than 6 million, and all but two are in the city itself, leaving most of the suburban population without providers.

Planned Parenthood is the only Title X provider in small Pennsylvania cities such as Johnstown and Somerset.

Please explain to me how that is redundant.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

66,978 posts, read 30,690,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There are not.
There are, though PP proponents are loathe to admit it.

Quote:
And once again, I'll remind you that not all Title X recipient organizations are open to the general public.
Actually, they are open to any woman who needs subsidized comprehensive health care.

Quote:
Planned Parenthood is the only Title X provider in small Pennsylvania cities such as Johnstown and Somerset.
False.

https://opa-fpclinicdb.hhs.gov/searc...8&geosearch=25

https://opa-fpclinicdb.hhs.gov/searc...1&geosearch=25

And before you jump on me for the 25 mile radius, understand that the nearest VA medical facility to me is 51.9 miles away. The nearest Social Security Administration facility is 52.6 miles away. And the nearest FQHC Title X family planning clinic (not PP, it's a county health department facility) is only 13.7 miles away.

Quote:
Please explain to me how that is redundant.
I just did.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

32,574 posts, read 60,241,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are, though PP proponents are loathe to admit it.
I see you cleverly (??) ignored the fact that you do not understand what a Federally Qualified Health Care provider is.

But if that's the canard you're going to run with, you could at least get your numbers straight. There are only 1,367 Federally Qualified Health Care providers in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa..._Health_Center

Some of them may be Title X funded providers. Some are not.

Quote:
Actually, they are open to any woman who needs subsidized comprehensive health care.
Wrong again.

You, as an adult female, cannot walk into a high school clinic to get Title X funded services. You cannot walk into a homeless shelter and get care. Those clinics restrict care to their own specific populations.

Quote:
And before you jump on me for the 25 mile radius, understand that the nearest VA medical facility to me is 51.9 miles away. The nearest Social Security Administration facility is 52.6 miles away.
Blah, blah, blah ...

It stands, then, that Planned Parenthood is still the only Title X provider in both Johnstown and Somerset, Pa.

And I'm sure the women who depend on Planned Parenthood for their care don't give a rat's ass how far away you live from a Social Security Administration office. Apples and oranges.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; Today at 10:12 AM.. Reason: forgot link

Old Today, 10:54 AM

9,059 posts, read 4,511,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Imagine having a doctor being blocked from providing medical options to a patient, this reminds me of behavior in some 3rd world countries with religious fanatics. I assume this funding cut will impact many low income women but I don't think the GOP really cares. Title X had bipartisan report and was initiated under Nixon and now 50 years later this administration welcomes its demise.

Why are some these groups cheering this as a victory, is it because they are denying service to poor women because it will not stop abortions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/19/h...sultPosition=1
Our tax dollars do not pay for abortions ...

Old Today, 11:04 AM

1,449 posts, read 568,644 times
I just love how people who don't have a uterus and cannot carry a baby have so much to say about planned parenthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or