Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 05:46 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times

Advertisements

None of my business.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In scenario two, you don't have to stand there forever listening to nonsense.
Pedro, THAT is funny! Unfortunately we have some people who lack any sense of humor - but I appreciated it.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:27 PM

25,680 posts, read 18,770,132 times
It's none of my business.

But if asked, I'll just say it is pretty disgusting to me. Then again, I like to eat beets and beets are disgusting to many people. Luckily, at this point, it is still pretty much a free country. You are free to find beets disgusting, and I am free to find homosexuality disgusting. We all should be free to have any OPINION we like on any matter. We should NOT be free to inhibit the rights of others to choose for themselves. But you see, contrary to popular belief, my OPINION does not inhibit your RIGHTS. So knock yourself out. I don't really care. But I DO have an opinion just as anyone with a brain in his/her/its skull should.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How? In what way?

When I was in school, we learned about reproduction in school in terms of basic anatomy and what it physically took to reproduce. We didn't get into things like attraction. We never covered why most straight men are attracted to a certain female body type. We didn't cover that men and women kissed at restaurants. We didn't cover if reproduction should involve marriage. It was pretty much just a straight up anatomy class. Which parts were used to reproduce and the basics of how to prevent pregnancy and STDs.

How would homosexuality fit into that?

I believe things like love, dating, etc should be covered at home.

If people want to include a unit on preventing stereotypes, reducing violence and sexual assault in hopes of reducing things like bullying and assaults, I'm fine with that, and such a class would be a good place to cover topics like homosexuality and transgender issues. I could see all sorts of benefits for doing such.

The idea that would should teach "social aspect X" just to say that we did so isn't really what schools are for IMHO. However, if you teach it for a legitimate purpose and not just a social statement, I'm good with it.

And while we are adding to the school curriculum, can we add some basic home and personal finance to it?
I think that by "learning about homosexuality" in schools, I'm mostly talking about it in terms of it being a real world reality, as in there are LGBTQ+ people in society, and this is a little background of some of their history and this is what current events involve them, etc. So basically the following:

-For the youngest grades (like 2nd and younger), schools don't really need to discuss LGBTQ+ issues directly. The main thing I think for this age group is messages saying that while there is a norm, not everybody falls within that norm. So maybe an occasional story about a little mouse being raised by a duck and a squirrel or something like that.

-Around 3rd grade, kids are starting to learn about LGBTQ+ people from their families and their peers. This is the time when I agree that we can start discussing about bullying due to being or being perceived to be LGBTQ+. By 4th and 5th grade, there are going to be kids that start realizing that they're gay or bisexual, and there should be resources for them to discuss with school counselors, for example.

-In late elementary, and definitely by early middle school, there might be occasionally books or stories that kids read with LGBTQ+ characters as part of their English or Literature curriculum, and this can continue into high school.

-In high school, and possibly even by later middle school, kids are going to start hearing about controversial topics related to LGBTQ+ issues. This is the time to introduce them to arguing topics such as religious liberty laws or transgender students playing sports, for example. This should not be done as indoctrination, as it's important to present that different groups of people have different thoughts on LGBTQ+ issues, but rather to help develop students' critical thinking skills and argument from evidence.

-When learning about various civil rights movements, the curriculum can bring up the Stonewall Riots.

None of these have anything to do with sex education, and a lot of schools are doing these things already. Basically, I just want to prevent LGBTQ+ erasure, which is a lot of times what people want when they draw the line at schools teaching their kids about this stuff. Because knowing that gay and bisexual people are real helps people function better as a productive citizen.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM

8,542 posts, read 10,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I can tell you on pretty good authority that dna has absolutely nothing to do with why a person would be gay, straight, by, transgender etc.

Bob.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,495,777 times
My take? It's got nothing at all to do with me what persuasion people are. None, nada, zap. so I mind my own business.

I wish more people followed my example, but sadly a lot of people like to try and force their prejudices onto others.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Is it something to be ashamed of? Proud of? Or neither of those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
None of my business.

i agree with WS, its none of my business. while i disagree with the lifestyle, that is the choice the people make. as long as you dont throw it in my face, have at it. dont expect me to attend gay pride parades, or other such crap though, that is throwing it in the face of those that dont want to see it.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I read between the lines

Curious, where are you seeing these " sexualized " pictures and how exactly were they sexualized?
The only thing you should be reading is that I think what you do sexually is your own business and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t insist on making it mine. I don’t care what gender you or your spouse are, don’t tell me about your sex life.

Oh, you know the kind I’m talking about - the ones where they are in some deep throat kiss with no air between bodies and hands clutching clothing. My husband had to explain to a solider more than once that they can’t have those kind of pictures on their desks - and, yes, they were all heterosexuals. And, psst, in one case the complaining solider was gay.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am curious. Compare two scenarios and your reaction:

You walk into the grocery store. You run into a person you work with casually, they introduce you to their husband.

Scenario one, the colleague is a woman vs scenario two, the colleague is a man. How do you reactions differ?
What part of "I. Don't. Care" are you having problems comprehending?

Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They exist because they have morphed from protest marches, to more of a celebration, in many places. In many countries, they are still protest marches and people risk their lives to march.
Pride parades rock. Should also be noted many straight allies march and attend pride parades. Corporate America and Big Sports are well represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.