Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 10:28 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I’m not gay, but if I were I think I would feel ashamed that I couldn’t appreciate women sexually. Being attracted to a duplicate of myself rather than a complement would be very confusing.
What an uninformed post.

I am a gay man and I am not attracted to duplicates of myself, either physically or emotionally.

A lot of straights have this weird notion that gay people are attracted to all other people of the same gender.

My guess is you would not be attracted to a fat ugly woman. Why do you assume gay men like all other men?

Old 08-30-2019, 10:39 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
What you do with YOUR genitals is none of MY business.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
To answer OP: It's a natural orientation for around 10% of the population.

There should be neither shame or pride in it, as it was not self-created - it would be like having shame or pride in having red hair.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
We are going into 2020 and we are still talking about homosexuality. We are doom.

The only people hung up on it are religious and those that are extremely afraid of being mistaken or associated of being gay due to the stigma (see religion, cultural customs, etc) and those that are in the closet but are against their own nature due to upbringing.

Let's say if GOD came down and made it know that everything was done according to ITS plan a whole lot of people will go mute overnight on the issue.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:28 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What an uninformed post.

I am a gay man and I am not attracted to duplicates of myself, either physically or emotionally.

A lot of straights have this weird notion that gay people are attracted to all other people of the same gender.

My guess is you would not be attracted to a fat ugly woman. Why do you assume gay men like all other men?
How can I be uninformed of my opinion? Your opinion of being gay doesn’t invalidate my opinion of being non-gay. I never said I was sexually attracted to all women nor did I assume that a gay man is attracted to all gay men.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:39 PM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Is it something to be ashamed of? Proud of? Or neither of those?

Sexual misorientation is something that happens in utero. Certainly nothing to be proud of nor ashamed of. It is what it is. I feel sorry for gays, they are going up the down staircase in a heterosexual world. My wife was a hair dresser, and, over the years, her nicest and most considerate employers were gay. Her nephew is gay and when my SIL had serious surgery, he moved home temporarily to care for her while the others kids asked when she would be well enough to do favors for them.

Our next door neighbor and his partner are gay. He can be a bit petulant, but that is typical. They're quiet and keep the house nice. Good neighbors.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:06 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That's not really how nature works.

Nature doesn't understand purpose.

Nature never created a drive in an animal with a purpose in mind.

Drives evolve on their own and lead to behavior, and if that behavior has a positive outcome (children that become parents), the drive that lead to the behavior will be carried to future generations.

Assigning a purpose to sex requires the uniquely human ability to conceptualize and the human inclination to do so.

Humans are tool makers.

To make tools we assign purpose to objects, and even people, so that they can become useful in ways they were not previously.

We even go so far as to modify people (especially ourselves) and things so that they are better suited to a particular purpose.

We educate our children, paint our faces, wear clothing, make use of fire, domesticate animals, create complex machines, build shelters, gather into groups and more so that purposes, once conceived, can be realized.

Assigning purpose, like sex, is an innate human drive.

This is where the homosexuality conflict comes from.

Homosexuality, for everyone except the homosexuals, serves no purpose.

This in itself doesn't necessarily make homosexuality wrong, but it does make it a useless activity.

As humans, we are driven to discard all the things (and people) for which no purpose can be found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is simply not true. The MAIN evolutionary success of humans lies in our collaboration, our communication and our connection. Our capacity for things like love, empathy and such very much serve a survival purpose.
Collaboration, communication and connection are the means by which goals are accomplished.

Their purpose is dependent on the goal's purpose.

Take away the goal and they no longer serve a purpose.

Because we all die, surviving (prolonging the inevitable), while desirable, isn't enough.

If we all lived to be 500 years old because of our capacity for "love, empathy and such" but failed to produce children that became parents, whatever purpose you or anyone else assigned to our existence wouldn't matter in 501 years because we would all be gone.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I believe God had some good purpose for it. We may not want to know because perhaps this world doesn’t exist anymore or is a much worse place without homosexuality. There may be some sort of horrible consequence of 100% of civilization being heterosexual

For example.....

Old 08-30-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think there is more purpose to life than having children. You could say the same about marriages between people who cannot have children or elect not to have children. Loving partnerships are important regardless of whether there is a child born of them. Besides, many homosexual couples have children, either adopted or parented by one of them, and are loving parents.
Ok, then what is the purpose of life?

Old 08-30-2019, 01:17 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
I am from a very catholic family. 7 children, 6 boys and myself. One of my brothers identified as gay in his late teens. He was 6 years older than me. It caused quite a stir....for about a day. My parents were very understanding as were all of our siblings.
I seen firsthand what my brother dealt with as far as discrimination and how he had to hide his sexuality from his job. He worked at city hall in downtown Phila. He found a wonderful mate & they lived together for 20 yrs.
At the age of 43 my brothers partner came home & found my brother dead from a heart attack.
I am so glad that my brother had someone that loved him & that he enjoyed years of happiness.

Life can be surprising and sometimes very short so no one should care who one chooses to love.

I have to add...it has been over 30 yrs and my brothers partner and I are still best friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies