Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:38 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I get it.

Most people in this country right now cannot accept that it isn't 1955 anymore. They want to return to a society where white Christian men are in all positions of authority, gays are in the closet, women are in the kitchen submissive to their husbands, every school day began with a prayer and pledge of allegiance, and Andy Griffith is sheriff.

People want a white evangelical, God's Not Dead version of reality. They want a "Christian United States" and are willing to destroy the country to get it.
no this is simply a strawman you created to rail against
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
I get it.

Most people in this country right now cannot accept that it isn't 1955 anymore. They want to return to a society where white Christian men are in all positions of authority, gays are in the closet, women are in the kitchen submissive to their husbands, every school day began with a prayer and pledge of allegiance, and Andy Griffith is sheriff.

People want a white evangelical, God's Not Dead version of reality. They want a "Christian United States" and are willing to destroy the country to get it.
You just proved Piers Morgan's point, LOL.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
For once I agree with Morgan.

I agree with Morgan that people are getting tired of the PC nonsense.
So the 538 Approve/Disapprove and the 6+ point spread for Congress are lies?

I think it's all the very same people who used it as an excuse before...who are using it now. The numbers don't show otherwise. Stats, baby, stats.

Quoting what celebrities say is not "fact". You can do better.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:47 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When Piers Morgan is someone that folks turn to for wisdom we know we are in one of the USA's greatest declines ever.
It's the message, not the messenger, that is important. What in the message do you object to?

Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny
Piers Morgan is only a “liberal” when it comes to gun control, because last many across
the pond, they have more common sense than most Americans.

For those who find Liberals “unbearable” I hope you love like your Faustian bargain with the fascists, because you’re gonna get more than you bargained for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're both fascists (as in Team Red and Team Blue).

This diatribe is simply pointing out how your side's fascism manifests itself in overall society.
This is actually spot on; 95% of those who use the term 'fascism' don't know what it means. It is defined through the writings of Mussolini, who coined the term, and said: ""Fascism is the principle that the state no longer leaves the economy to its own devices...." It's more or less what we have in the US today.

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...lini-roosevelt

Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
I get it.

No, you don't really get it.

Your style of hyperbole is a big part of the problem.

I'm a liberal.

I do think that the threat of PC has been wildly exaggerated as a tool by the right wing, and exploited by people like Trump. It's not nearly as pervasive and oppressive as people who regularly imbibe right wing media think it is.

However, I went to a Northeastern Liberal University with a pretty significant SJW representation before the term existed. I'm not going to tell anyone that there isn't a lot of nonsense going on that is over the top. But for the most part, a lot of it is largely contained to the Universities themselves.

Some guy who grinds out bullets and conspiracy theories in Rockhole Texas thinks this actually effects him..when all he has to do is turn off the internet.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Because Piers Morgan is universally liked by everyone so we should take what he says seriously.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Piers is right.
It really says something each time you see/hear about someone else coming out and saying things along this line.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
However, I went to a Northeastern Liberal University with a pretty significant SJW representation before the term existed. I'm not going to tell anyone that there isn't a lot of nonsense going on that is over the top. But for the most part, a lot of it is largely contained to the Universities themselves.

Some guy who grinds out bullets and conspiracy theories in Rockhole Texas thinks this actually effects him..when all he has to do is turn off the internet.
I was at orientation at BU for my daughter and visited many times.

My daughter is fairly mature...but when I saw the crowds of "girls" hanging around they 100% reminded me of high school....that is, they are/were "kids".

Youth. Is young. There are many things they have to offer and other things they have yet to learn.

But, as you mention, the idea that these kids fresh out of high school are some plot against "conservatives" takes a very special kind of paranoia and buttresses the REAL fact that the Right runs on fear.

As a liberal I also dislike over-the-top BS of any type...whether it's corporate politics or PC-BS. BUT, in terms of my priority list, a party and sect of this country run by False Fears is MUCH WORSE....

I'd rather chuckle about some BS that doesn't affect me then have to deal with the current reality of monsters in a corrupt and inept administration.....

Priorites. No liberals or thinking independent is going to weigh things and say that Pronouns are more important than....health care....or sinking into authoritarianism..or the like.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Piers is right.
It really says something each time you see/hear about someone else coming out and saying things along this line.
You are so right!

When people say something it definitely says something.

But it doesn't always MEAN something. Nor is it akin to actual actions or truth or change or anything that is going to improve us.

What it might do is give a washed-up talk show host another quick shot of attention. That "says something".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies