U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Union County NJ
213 posts, read 165,776 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Any weapon is an assault weapon. Tools of violence are used for violence.
police officers are trained to realize ANYTHING can be a weapon............. knife, tire iron, axe,
hammer, screwdriver, etc, etc, etc..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:01 PM
 
10 posts, read 1,202 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Any weapon is an assault weapon. Tools of violence are used for violence.
Idiocy reigns supreme - I guess the left really doesn't know when they have goon too far.

So now ANY weapon is to be classified an assault weapon - I guess a knife, a club or hands and feet are now classified as assault weapons. And since they are weapons used in more murders than rifles, they need to be banned more than an AR-15. To get rid of assault weapons we need to cut off everyone's hands and feet. I am sure that will be popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,433 posts, read 4,251,850 times
Reputation: 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Here's why.

The laws, however, are largely ineffectual. Because these guns are really just ordinary rifles, it is hard for legislators to effectively regulate them without banning half the handguns in the country (those that are semiautomatic and/or have detachable magazines) and many hunting rifles as well.

But gun makers have been able to easily skirt these laws. They just sell the same semiautomatic rifle, with the same lethality, but without the military-style features.

Little wonder then that a 2004 study commissioned by the Department of Justice found that the federal ban didn’t lead to any decrease in gun crime or gun deaths. For starters, rifles, assault or otherwise, are rarely used in gun crime.




https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...211-story.html
Other countries didn't ban assault rifles as such they banned ownership of semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and restricted shotgun capacity to more than three cartridges (in magazine plus the breech). Hanguns has similar restrictions placed on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
 
10,769 posts, read 6,453,462 times
Reputation: 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Now it's a cost thing for a Garand. I remember seeing them in Woolworths when I was a kid for under a 100 bucks. With it all to do again I would have spent every dime I ever made mucking stables on Garands. As to the "cool" factor..yea. I guess. But to me the Garand and M1A were THE rifles growing up. Even the old 03s are now scarce and pricey. Ahhh... elsewhen.
Now you can add a zero onto that original price...if I had only known when I was younger, I'd have bought a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
 
10,286 posts, read 4,789,991 times
Reputation: 5675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Other countries didn't ban assault rifles as such they banned ownership of semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and restricted shotgun capacity to more than three cartridges (in magazine plus the breech). Hanguns has similar restrictions placed on them.
And has has been pointed out to you 100 times, other countries don't have our constitution. And we have at least a couple hundred million rifles in circulation plus probably more handguns than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,720 posts, read 10,879,513 times
Reputation: 34861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And has has been pointed out to you 100 times, other countries don't have our constitution. And we have at least a couple hundred million rifles in circulation plus probably more handguns than that.


And that's what the gun-grabbers just don't get. Setting aside the fact that their tactics won't affect those already illegally in possession of guns, they have no idea how many firearms the rest of us have. Not to mention the fact that no permit is required for long rifles, and most were acquired, handed down, etc. before background checks were required. And that's just here in NY. (NYC doesn't count lol.)

Even with insidious attempts to ultimately "regulate"...every firearm, it will be a futile effort to determine who has what, and to identify all of the firearms in our possession across this fruited plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM
 
10,286 posts, read 4,789,991 times
Reputation: 5675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]

And that's what the gun-grabbers just don't get. Setting aside the fact that their tactics won't affect those already illegally in possession of guns, they have no idea how many firearms the rest of us have. Not to mention the fact that no permit is required for long rifles, and most were acquired, handed down, etc. before background checks were required. And that's just here in NY. (NYC doesn't count lol.)

Even with insidious attempts to ultimately "regulate"...every firearm, it will be a futile effort to determine who has what, and to identify all of the firearms in our possession across this fruited plain.
In my state, it is illegal to register guns, and I would imagine we are not the only ones like that. Probably 1/2 the guns I have are so old they don't have serial numbers anyway. I have never checked the ones my FIL left me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,433 posts, read 4,251,850 times
Reputation: 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And has has been pointed out to you 100 times, other countries don't have our constitution. And we have at least a couple hundred million rifles in circulation plus probably more handguns than that.
And as has been pointed out before, your constitution does not state you can have any gun or weapon you so like, if that was the case military automatic M16 A4 rifles would be openly on sale, but they are not because the law prohibits it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
 
10,769 posts, read 6,453,462 times
Reputation: 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
And as has been pointed out before, your constitution does not state you can have any gun or weapon you so like, if that was the case military automatic M16 A4 rifles would be openly on sale, but they are not because the law prohibits it.
Actually they are legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
 
540 posts, read 111,833 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
And as has been pointed out before, your constitution does not state you can have any gun or weapon you so like, if that was the case military automatic M16 A4 rifles would be openly on sale, but they are not because the law prohibits it.
And as has been pointed out before, semi-automatic weapons are in "common use for legal purposes" and are protected under the 2nd amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top