U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

2,522 posts, read 686,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Here's why.

The laws, however, are largely ineffectual. Because these guns are really just ordinary rifles, it is hard for legislators to effectively regulate them without banning half the handguns in the country (those that are semiautomatic and/or have detachable magazines) and many hunting rifles as well.

But gun makers have been able to easily skirt these laws. They just sell the same semiautomatic rifle, with the same lethality, but without the military-style features.

Little wonder then that a 2004 study commissioned by the Department of Justice found that the federal ban didnít lead to any decrease in gun crime or gun deaths. For starters, rifles, assault or otherwise, are rarely used in gun crime.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...211-story.html
Now you've done it, spilled the beans the gun grabbers don't know.........just guns out there no "assault rifles" .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

10,289 posts, read 4,789,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
And as has been pointed out before, semi-automatic weapons are in "common use for legal purposes" and are protected under the 2nd amendment.
Heller vs DC.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

32,010 posts, read 19,941,532 times
Quote:
Here's why.

The laws, however, are largely ineffectual. Because these guns are really just ordinary rifles, it is hard for legislators to effectively regulate them without banning half the handguns in the country (those that are semiautomatic and/or have detachable magazines) and many hunting rifles as well.

But gun makers have been able to easily skirt these laws. They just sell the same semiautomatic rifle, with the same lethality, but without the military-style features.

Little wonder then that a 2004 study commissioned by the Department of Justice found that the federal ban didnít lead to any decrease in gun crime or gun deaths. For starters, rifles, assault or otherwise, are rarely used in gun crime.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...211-story.html
Ever wonder how other countries are able to get things done like gun control and universal healthcare yet the US is impotent?

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

14,521 posts, read 11,821,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
And as has been pointed out before, your constitution does not state you can have any gun or weapon you so like, if that was the case military automatic M16 A4 rifles would be openly on sale, but they are not because the law prohibits it.

Fully automatic weapons used to be commonly stocked at hardware stores. It was not unusual to see a couple 1928 Thompsons for sale at Al's Hardware 0n 44th and Vine. That changed in 1934 because of the gangster era which was focused primarily in Chicago. And caused to bloom because of governments insistence that it can control things by banning them.

Alcohol in this case, which created huge bootlegging empires that used violent methods to operate. And after the full auto ban went into effect both alcohol and full auto weapons were still widely available to the criminal businesses. Even though both were banned. Whoda thunk!!?? You mean to tell me that criminals don't respect the LAW?! It's it's it's the LAW!

Personally I don't feel any want of a full auto firearm. They chew up ammunition very quickly and ammo costs money which I don't have an unlimited supply of. Plus I much prefer to put rounds on target in pinpoint groups. The purpose of shooting is hitting after all. The semi auto only AR 15 is totally suitable for militia use should we be called up and in the meantime handles hunting competition and general sport shooting nicely as well.

Used to be a guy could get a nice surplus military rifle through the DCM for a reasonable price but alas the M 14 and now M 16 changed that since both are full auto capable. Thus millions of perfectly good rifles have been smelted or sold off to third world bungholes so dictators can keep their people in line. There are very few old Garands and 03's left to parcel out.

The DCM used to be a great agency for ensuring a well regulated militia. Not so much any more. Mores the pity. The US tradition of citizens being armed with the very same weapons as the military and actually being able to procure said weapons from the government are over. Still we can buy suitable firearms via civilian retailers.

I do not feel the least bit undergunned with only having semi auto. The law does not prohibit ownership of full auto, it's just insanely expensive to do so. Legally anyway. The street gangs can get their hands on anything they want and have the money to do so. Their masters the cartels see that they are supplying their soldiers on the ground here very well. Meanwhile we honest citizens prepare as best we can within our legal limits.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

36,019 posts, read 32,707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Ever wonder how other countries are able to get things done like gun control and universal healthcare yet the US is impotent?
Sounds like you have many choices to move to. Those that don't have a constitution and unlimited immigration that have access to social services.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

276 posts, read 28,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Any weapon is an assault weapon. Tools of violence are used for violence.
What you meant to say is:"Any weapon could be used to assault people if it falls into the hands of a crazy person".....
Glad to help you sort it out...

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And has has been pointed out to you 100 times, other countries don't have our constitution. And we have at least a couple hundred million rifles in circulation plus probably more handguns than that.
At least that many.....the ATF says about 400,000,000. But that doesn't account for all of the unregistered guns, nor all of the 'homemade' guns built from 80%s......based on the gun guys I know, half of their collections are not known to the Govt. So I'd estimate the actual number to be closer to 600,000,000.

Molon Labe, MF'ers

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

32,010 posts, read 19,941,532 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have many choices to move to. Those that don't have a constitution and unlimited immigration that have access to social services.
I am referring to the inability and impotency of US lawmakers to do what the American people elected them to do.

Poll: Majority Favor Gun Control

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As I ponder this I think of the venerable Garand and the M14/M1A. The Garand, despite it's magazine capacity limits, is MUCH more suited to "assault" purpose than any AR or AK type rifle. 8 Rounds of 30 06 is nothing to sneer at. The M14 had 20 308s. Hardly a Twinky thing either.

500 yards was a starting range for a Garand. Just starting to stretch its legs a bit. OK, it's a bit on the heavy side, ammo weighs up, whatever. Meh, military designed rifles have long held a stigma with the uninformed public for their purported abilities. Truly I blame the shooting community more for the "assault" misnomer than I do the banners. They got it from us.
I think the Garand with it's 8 Rnd clips is indeed formidable. You can put almost as much lead in the air with that setup as with an AR....And as you said, a much more lethal round. A 30-06 will penetrate a 6x6 piece of lumber......

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

10,289 posts, read 4,789,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am referring to the inability and impotency of US lawmakers to do what the American people elected them to do.

Poll: Majority Favor Gun Control
You really think that gun owners respond to polls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or