Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM

50,149 posts, read 46,793,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am referring to the inability and impotency of US lawmakers to do what the American people elected them to do.

Poll: Majority Favor Gun Control
True, just like gay marriage huh. Prop 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:42 AM

25,434 posts, read 17,114,229 times
Quote:
I am referring to the inability and impotency of US lawmakers to do what the American people elected them to do.

I think that's it in a nutshell.
You and I may disagree with exactly what we want them to do, but their cowardice is on full display on nearly every issue.
People play around and argue with the definition of assault rifle, while politicians argue and play around with who should be sold guns. Politicians fruitlessly attempt to engage in people control while they announce they are engaging in gun control.

For me, sales of clip fed and magazine fed weapons, which can be rapidly reloaded, to civilians should be banned forever. I don't think I'll ever see the day when it will happen, but that is my preference.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 AM

3,059 posts, read 3,240,641 times
Quote:

lawmakers make laws, not respond to polls. if it were the latter, we'd have laws changing with people's whims ...

"hey, some terrorists flew some planes into some buildings killing thousands, let's round up all muslims, the majority of the people are in favor of common sense terrorist control"

plus, our lawmakers are pretty much impotent and unable to address other major issues facing the nation, why would this be any different?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM

19,707 posts, read 10,047,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You and I may disagree with exactly what we want them to do, but their cowardice is on full display on nearly every issue.
People play around and argue with the definition of assault rifle, while politicians argue and play around with who should be sold guns. Politicians fruitlessly attempt to engage in people control while they announce they are engaging in gun control.

For me, sales of clip fed and magazine fed weapons, which can be rapidly reloaded, to civilians should be banned forever. I don't think I'll ever see the day when it will happen, but that is my preference.
So you would eliminate most hunting rifles made in the last 60 years, even 22s? All 300-400 million or more of them.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 AM

58,720 posts, read 27,056,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
The clinton ban was effective at one thing. That era actually popularized the styling cues that they intended to "ban".
Many people I knew bought thier first semi auto rifle during that time as well.
"The clinton ban was effective at one thing." Guns sale went through the roof!

Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As I ponder this I think of the venerable Garand and the M14/M1A. The Garand, despite it's magazine capacity limits, is MUCH more suited to "assault" purpose than any AR or AK type rifle. 8 Rounds of 30 06 is nothing to sneer at. The M14 had 20 308s. Hardly a Twinky thing either.

The US was flooded with Garands for a long time. Alas, those days are gone. But in that lengthy period of bliss not one mass shooting was done with one. If Charles Whitman had a Garand in that tower oh my! As a great many German, Japanese , Chinese and North Koreans can attest the Garand was not fun to face in battle in the hands of American soldiers.

500 yards was a starting range for a Garand. Just starting to stretch its legs a bit. OK, it's a bit on the heavy side, ammo weighs up, whatever. Meh, military designed rifles have long held a stigma with the uninformed public for their purported abilities. Truly I blame the shooting community more for the "assault" misnomer than I do the banners. They got it from us.

I fully remember the whole "assault" craze of the 80s. Gun shops flying huge banners extoling shooters to get their "assault" and "combat" rifles. The beginnings of the "tacticool" craze.
Why didn't Congress ban these, "
Early history (1885–1945)

The Fusil Automatique Modele 1917 was the first semi-automatic rifle to be widely issued in the infantry in any nation's army.

The first successful design for a semi-automatic rifle is attributed to Austria-born gunsmith Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher, who unveiled the design in 1885."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=56035444

"Evans Repeating Rifle - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Evans_Repeating_Rifle

The Evans Repeating Rifle was a lever-action repeating rifle designed by Warren R. Evans as a high capacity rifle." held 28 bullets.

But , we NOW have to ban "high capacity, 10 an 15 bullets, magazines!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:42 AM

50,149 posts, read 46,793,388 times
Quote:

This is why I started this thread. Bans don't ban. Ban them forever it won't matter. Everyone still purchased, owned and used these firearms during the Federal 10 year ban.

Useless and unenforceable. Window dressing symbolism.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM

29,159 posts, read 14,444,481 times
Quote:

Thankfully, we have the 2A to prevent people like yourself from getting what you want.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:50 AM

29,159 posts, read 14,444,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why didn't Congress ban these, "
Early history (1885–1945)

The Fusil Automatique Modele 1917 was the first semi-automatic rifle to be widely issued in the infantry in any nation's army.

The first successful design for a semi-automatic rifle is attributed to Austria-born gunsmith Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher, who unveiled the design in 1885."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=56035444

"Evans Repeating Rifle - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Evans_Repeating_Rifle

The Evans Repeating Rifle was a lever-action repeating rifle designed by Warren R. Evans as a high capacity rifle." held 28 bullets.

But , we NOW have to ban "high capacity, 10 an 15 bullets, magazines!
Those types of magazines have been around since the 1930's ...not sure what you mean by the "but, we now" have thing

Old 09-13-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Those types of magazines have been around since the 1930's ...not sure what you mean by the "but, we now" have thing
My post, But , we NOW have to ban "high capacity, 10 an 15 bullets, magazines!

Is in reference to the anti-gun nuts who want to ban "high" 10 rounds, 15 rounds, magazines, so-called assault weapons, etc NOW.

Many of them argue against what the Founding Fathers meant with the 2nd amendment claiming they never meant citizens to have the guns of today.

I supplied data showing the semi-auto WAS around at the time of our Founding Fathers and they did NOT ban it.

In regard to high capacity mags, I supplied data sating a high capacity rifle, not 10 rounds or 15 rounds BUT 28 rounds was available and the Fathers did NOT ban it THEN but the antis want to ban them NOW based on what they THINK the fathers meant. The Fathers ACTIONS speak LOUDER then what the antis THINK the Fathers meant.

Hope this clear it up for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies