U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 AM

27,278 posts, read 11,460,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You seem to think that all people who are categorized as being "poor" are on "welfare" which is just plain absurd.
No I don't. That's something you made up because I've proven you don't have a leg to stand on.

Quote:
In 2017 only 23% of people living in poverty received TANF
And? So?

Quote:
The list was originally compiled by Robert Rector in the 90's and he didn't source it even then. Heritage still uses the data by carefully taking out "DVD player"
But here's the thing you ignore: Most of the working age poor have jobs, so I'm not sure why you would think it odd that a person who has a job would have cable TV?
I never said it was odd. That's something you made up because I've proven you don't have a leg to stand on.

Let me explain something to you because you don't get it and it is very simple. When one doesn't have much money, one needs to live within their means. Since when is cable a must need item? Get it? Do you understand that very simple statement?

Quote:
Source please because that makes no sense at all.
It wouldn't make sense to someone who has little knowledge on the subject. You've never heard of a couple who makes a few dollars too much to make welfare vs a couple who doesn't make much and therefore gets welfare? lol That concept is too much for you to grasp?

from 2013 State and federal welfare benefits pay $28,872 per year in Michigan, according to a new study. This puts Michigan in about the middle of the pack nationwide.

The Cato Institute on Monday released "The Work Versus Welfare Trade-Off," which examines the total level of welfare benefits by state.

Quote:
Bottom line is you failed to refute my claim that welfare benefits do not provide a disincentive to work.
So you don't think it is human nature for some to not work when money is given? lmao On what planet is this NOT true. On earth it is. No one ever says "I paid into unemployment so I'm going to use it"? Never heard that???? lol How absurd.

"Only 2.6 percent of full-time workers are poor, as defined by the Federal Poverty Level standard, compared with 23.9 percent of adults who do not work. Even part-time work makes a significant difference; only 15 percent of part-time workers are poor. And while many anti-poverty activists decry low wage jobs, a minimum-wage job can be a springboard out of poverty."

Again why work when government will pay you not too?

Finish high school, work a full time job, and wait until you are 21 to get married and have kids. Do just those 3 things and you'll have a 75% success rate of being middle class or higher and less than a 2% chance of being permanently poor.

Bottom line is you make things up because I've proven you don't have a leg to stand on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 10:26 AM

31,663 posts, read 14,068,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Bottom line is you make things up because I've proven you don't have a leg to stand on.
Whatever floats your boat my friend

Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 AM

1,365 posts, read 219,368 times
I am a conservative, but I am perfectly OK with investing in kids (aka our future generations and tax payers). They are my/our future doctors, engineers, and tax payers.

But you cannot send them to school and expect them to perform with an empty stomach.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 AM

31,040 posts, read 15,931,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I am a conservative, but I am perfectly OK with investing in kids (aka our future generations and tax payers). They are my/our future doctors, engineers, and tax payers.

But you cannot send them to school and expect them to perform with an empty stomach.
Can they perform well with little sleep due to going to bed hungry? If not, shouldn't we provide money to every household with kids to purchase dinner?

Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 AM

34,180 posts, read 42,758,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can they perform well with little sleep due to going to bed hungry? If not, shouldn't we provide money to every household with kids to purchase dinner?
We already do, it's SNAP, which automatically qualifies the children of recipients for FARM at school. There are school systems which already offer dinner as well as summer breakfast and lunch open to anyone who walks in. That's not counting the schools that send bags of food home with the kids on Friday for the weekend.

One of the inputs used for school systems deciding on weather related school closing is how long it's been since the kids got fed at school.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 AM

36,002 posts, read 32,707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We already do, it's SNAP, which automatically qualifies the children of recipients for FARM at school. There are school systems which already offer dinner as well as summer breakfast and lunch open to anyone who walks in. That's not counting the schools that send bags of food home with the kids on Friday for the weekend.

One of the inputs used for school systems deciding on weather related school closing is how long it's been since the kids got fed at school.
They even run buses to the school because so many poor don't drive and they choiced their kids into better performing schools that still offer all meals being covered.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 AM

15,652 posts, read 8,051,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.
IMO all American kids in all public schools should get free lunch and breakfast at schools since our tax dollars are going to support schools anyway.

I live in Ohio and we don't have hurricanes here. My daughter's school has provided free lunch and breakfast for all students since she was in kindergarten and she is in 5th grade now. I task my kids with making their own lunch but I like that if they forget, they will get to eat. She already has forgotten and had to eat the "nasty" lunch this past week lol.

Free lunch programs have nothing to do with hurricanes all the time. Maybe in your district, but this is common in many districts across the country or particular schools who move around their resources/budget to accomodate providing free breakfast/lunch to all students.

FWIW our entire district does not do this but is considering doing so because my kid's school and the other couple schools that have this initiative - they have higher test scores than other schools in the district. Kids learn better when they are not hungry and I'm of the belief that many parents are irresponsible and we should not punish children for the irresponsibility of their parents.

I also think you are kind of full of it acting like your kids have never eaten the free lunch. I bet they have. No one is perfect about taking lunch to school and I'm sure your kids have forgotten or you have yourself if you make them for your kids.

I'll also note that our school gathers better financial data on the household incomes of the families who attend because of the free lunch program. I admit that I did lower my household income on forms before in the past (you may judge me but I don't really care if you do lol - I didn't want to pay for something I feel I already pay for with my property taxes and especially not for the nasty food). I made sure I just put the lower amount on the chart that would qualify us for free/reduced lunch and the schools never checked. I now put the right amount on the form since it doesn't matter. I'll note that I know a lot of parents who do the same thing I did and it is a reason why many of the income statistics cited by people are incorrect since a lot of that data is self reported from free/reduced lunch programs.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:09 PM

36,002 posts, read 32,707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO all American kids in all public schools should get free lunch and breakfast at schools since our tax dollars are going to support schools anyway.

I live in Ohio and we don't have hurricanes here. My daughter's school has provided free lunch and breakfast for all students since she was in kindergarten and she is in 5th grade now. I task my kids with making their own lunch but I like that if they forget, they will get to eat. She already has forgotten and had to eat the "nasty" lunch this past week lol.

Free lunch programs have nothing to do with hurricanes all the time. Maybe in your district, but this is common in many districts across the country or particular schools who move around their resources/budget to accomodate providing free breakfast/lunch to all students.

FWIW our entire district does not do this but is considering doing so because my kid's school and the other couple schools that have this initiative - they have higher test scores than other schools in the district. Kids learn better when they are not hungry and I'm of the belief that many parents are irresponsible and we should not punish children for the irresponsibility of their parents.

I also think you are kind of full of it acting like your kids have never eaten the free lunch. I bet they have. No one is perfect about taking lunch to school and I'm sure your kids have forgotten or you have yourself if you make them for your kids.

I'll also note that our school gathers better financial data on the household incomes of the families who attend because of the free lunch program. I admit that I did lower my household income on forms before in the past (you may judge me but I don't really care if you do lol - I didn't want to pay for something I feel I already pay for with my property taxes and especially not for the nasty food). I made sure I just put the lower amount on the chart that would qualify us for free/reduced lunch and the schools never checked. I now put the right amount on the form since it doesn't matter. I'll note that I know a lot of parents who do the same thing I did and it is a reason why many of the income statistics cited by people are incorrect since a lot of that data is self reported from free/reduced lunch programs.
It's been known for a while many people lie to get free benefits.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,489,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And you'd be wrong. I guess you assume everyone else is a liar because you did it?

If my kid forgot their lunch, I did a thing called "parenting" and brought it to school but mostly I made sure they brought it in the am. Another parenting trick.

And you committed fraud to get your kids a free lunch.???? LOL. Seriously? You couldn't swing a few dollars? So you purposely let your kid eat a FREE "nasty lunch"? WOW.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 08-25-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-25-2019, 02:20 PM

37,956 posts, read 16,775,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

But as I said, wouldn't their parents be on food stamps if they are too poor to feed their own kids? So what excuse is there for them not eating breakfast at home and bringing a sack lunch to school? As I said, it's double dipping into our tax coffers. It also encourages these lazy or poor parents to keep breeding more kids with all the freebies they get through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies