U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 PM

118 posts, read 19,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.

Wow people have issues with kids getting free lunch and breakfast at schools. I feel so sorry about people with a mentality like yours. I am 40 and at my schools, I and everybody student at all my schools and the whole public schools system, got free lunches and breakfasts. For some students those are the only healthy meals they have. Seriously some people in these forums show zero solidarity and zero sense of living in a community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
How many of those free meals go to the millions and millions of illegals’ kids?
I would never want ANY child to go hungry, but again, another way we taxpayers are subsidizing businesses so they can make bigger profits with their cheap labor.
Except if the kid is “illegal” of course. Those can go hungry and if they can be put in concentration camps with no soap and toothpaste better. Sick mentality

Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM

37,899 posts, read 16,765,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliampr View Post
Wow people have issues with kids getting free lunch and breakfast at schools. I feel so sorry about people with a mentality like yours. I am 40 and at my schools, I and everybody student at all my schools and the whole public schools system, got free lunches and breakfasts. For some students those are the only healthy meals they have. Seriously some people in these forums show zero solidarity and zero sense of living in a community.
They aren't free they are taxpayer funded! There is no reason for the schools to be restaurants. They are there to educate. Why in the world would that be the only meal that these students would get when their parents can get food stamps, SNAP, etc.?

Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 PM

9,251 posts, read 3,122,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.

Tell me where you could go in this country, that would have no risk of suffering a natural disaster.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Except if the kid is “illegal” of course. Those can go hungry and if they can be put in concentration camps with no soap and toothpaste better. Sick mentality
Oh stop with this BS already! They weren't put in concentration camps and when you have thousands after thousands crashing our border all at once what makes you think we could readily supply all of their needs instantly? It's you and yours that have a sick mentality as it's sick to spin and lie.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 PM

12,105 posts, read 15,711,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with this BS already! They weren't put in concentration camps and when you have thousands after thousands crashing our border all at once what makes you think we could readily supply all of their needs instantly? It's you and yours that have a sick mentality as it's sick to spin and lie.
It basically is. Kids ripped away from families- real Christian.

Great outreach for Jesus from the evangelical right.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 PM

9,816 posts, read 2,968,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Example #389563384 of why government schools should be abolished.
Not gonna happen. Most people can't afford private schools.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
They aren't free they are taxpayer funded! There is no reason for the schools to be restaurants. They are there to educate. Why in the world would that be the only meal that these students would get when their parents can get food stamps, SNAP, etc.?
Yes everything is taxpayer funded, including the billions wasted to defense budget, corrupt politicians, etc.. It is part of the responsibilities of living in a society. Since you have a problem with that, I recommend you to buy yourself an island (oh wait you probably can’t afford that anyway) and provide yourself alone with all the goods and services you need to live.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Is it that hard to provide soap? Thousand of good Americans where willing to VOLUNTEER this stuff and other services and services and they were not allowed. It is not that hard to provide basic higiene facilities but of course that is not going to happen when the objective is to punish. Seriously try to expand your horizons. See a therapist, travel, interact with people different than you, anything that can teach you the meaning of the word empathy

Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Is it that hard to provide soap? Thousand of good Americans where willing to VOLUNTEER this stuff and other services and services and they were not allowed. It is not that hard to provide basic higiene facilities but of course that is not going to happen when the objective is to punish. Seriously try to expand your horizons. See a therapist, travel, interact with people different than you, anything that can teach you the meaning of the word empathy
See a therapist? I suggest you stop with the personal attacks! I stated how it was but no matter what you and yours are going to bash the Trump administration and our border officers anyway.

WTH does someone being different than me have to do with anything? There are plenty of those here legally and that weren't bogus asylum seekers already so WTH are you talking about? I have no empathy for law breakers, foreign or domestic and certainly not bogus asylum seekers.

Why don't you stay on topic also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies