U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 AM

31,655 posts, read 14,061,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's foreign parasites vs host. I never said screw everyone who needs help who are our own and born and bred Americans. One good way to help is to get rid of the illegals, foreign workers and immigrants who are displacing Americans in the job market.
People who are here illegally are still people they are not 'foreign parasites'. And as soon as you are ready to give up your job for a 10 week gig picking strawberries we can talk about how illegals are displacing Americans in the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:42 AM

11,973 posts, read 8,637,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Parasitical? Foreign? Illegal? I doubt you care in the slightest that BP a foreign corporation, was just given a $15.3 BILLION tax credit for its liabilities over cleaning up its illegal oil spill. Kind of obvious why.
Holy cow. Thanks. I missed that.

But anybody paying attention could have seen it coming.

Where's the new version of Barry Goldwater? He said any business that did damage to others or the environment should be out of business. But, here in the USA we care more about jobs than the health of others or the earth.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 AM

13,712 posts, read 4,128,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not romanticizing anyone, people would not come here if employers didn't hire them, it's really that simple, it's been that way since the 70's and I'm old enough to have watched it happen.
And people would not hire them if they didn't come here illegally. They're both in the wrong. They're both parasites, one a domestic and one a foreign.

The important point is Democrats are hypocrites as they do more to aid and abet illegal immigration than employers or Republicans do.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:51 AM

13,712 posts, read 4,128,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
People who are here illegally are still people they are not 'foreign parasites'. And as soon as you are ready to give up your job for a 10 week gig picking strawberries we can talk about how illegals are displacing Americans in the job market.
Stop romanticizing illegal aliens. They're not all self sufficient, temporary AG workers that go back home by far.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:33 AM

1,959 posts, read 956,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
You may not realize it, but some people don't have it together enough to go through the process to get government aid. I agree that their irresponsible parents should feed them, and I teach my students that it is their responsibility to provide for everyone whom they create. But I also know children whose parents don't get aid and don't feed them either. They have to get what they can at school and try to go to friends' houses for meals when possible.

Feeding children makes them better able to learn. Perhaps we could include that as part of the expense to educate them. Healthy, well-fed children use fewer medical services, which for taxpayer-paid health care, would seem to be a good thing.

I think too many people don't see the trees for the forest. A healthy forest depends on healthy trees. A healthy country needs to have healthy people. It's easier to grow them that way than to try to fix them once they are grown and have poor habits. When you look at children who get free lunches as a monolithic whole, instead of as individual people with their own set of circumstances, it's easy to focus on the forest and not the trees.

eta. I meant to ask if you propose letting the children starve who have parents who don't or won't provide for them, even through government programs. What do you suggest is done with them?
For many years I lived in a shack in the woods with no running water. We traveled to other places and stole water in jugs from outside taps. My mother wouldn't get food stamps even though she just worked minimum wage job. Around that area people had to commute long distances to get decent jobs, and she never had a decent running vehicle. As it was, her commute was still a ways to another town that also didn't have much jobs. If it weren't for free food at the school, I would have not had food most of the time.

When we moved to the town where her job was, I changed schools. I often went without food then because the lines to get food was so long that by the time I made it through the line the bell would ring signaling the end of lunch. So, I often didn't get to eat except what I grabbed off the tray and put in my mouth on the way out the lunchroom. I stayed hungry all the time. I was so skinny that I was near emaciated. I wore size 6 clothes, the smallest you could get around there back then, and they were baggy on me. The only benefit to living in the other town was that I could bathe whenever I felt like it, so I wasn't smelly anymore, and I could walk to the local library whenever I wanted. The lack of food made that not much better though. I already didn't have much to eat before we moved there, and then I no longer got to eat regularly at the school, either.

I ended up having to shoplift food again to eat. I tried to obtain employment, but none of the places were willing to hire me. I was an honor roll student and still couldn't land a job at the local minimum wage jobs. The only thing I briefly got was a cashier job at a Kroger for the summer, but they wouldn't work around high school hours and expected me to drop out of high school to continue working for them. Had I realized I'd never get a job again around there I would've dropped out of high school and kept the job. I would've had food to eat then. Perhaps my biggest regret in life was not dropping out of high school so I could keep the only job I'd ever be granted as a teen. I did not receive anything other than work study positions again until I managed to get out of that state, and then I kept losing those jobs in the new state because of my health problems.

People knew since I was a small child that I was being abused/neglected at home and did nothing. Instead, whenever I complained about something going on, I was told to shut up about it and scolded for being ungrateful. It was even worse than I ever said though. My father was a felon and moved us around a lot. I've been in and out of therapy since I was 8 years old, after my father had shot up and busted up the apartment we were living in. He was very violent. My mother took us and fled to my friend's place. Her mother took us in for the night. I had to wear my friend's clothes to school the next day because I had fled in my night clothes. I told the teacher the next day about it and the teacher scolded me for making up tales. Later the same day my father shows up at the school demanding they hand me over to him. The staff in the office didn't move quick enough or something and he attacked them and pulled out his gun. My teacher found out somehow and we all left the room and hid in another classroom in the area where the coats and backpacks go. I was hysterical and going "he's going to kill me" and stuff like that. Did the teacher try to console me (after previously calling me a liar when I said what he'd already done)? Nope! Instead, the teacher angrily kept telling me to shut up, which just made me more hysterical. That was my last day of school there. I wasn't allowed back because I was a danger to the rest of the students to be there. I was not taken from the home. After my father did some counseling, I had to live with him again. That is the way I was done my whole life. No one ever protected me from my father. Even now as an adult, my father still finds ways to abuse me. He caused me to lose my disability money I was getting each month for PTSD and other health problems. Years ago he helped my rapist obtain custody of my daughter conceived in one of those many rapes. And to this day when I tell what he is like, people accuse me of exaggerating. I have never received any protection from him.

No one picks their own parents. Lunches at public schools do keep some students from going hungry. Schools need to make sure there's enough time allotted to allow the student to sit down and eat the lunch though. When the lines are so long that the bell ending lunch goes off while students are still in line then students are still going hungry.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:34 PM

3,069 posts, read 3,088,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People keep forgetting this part. IIRC, it was the farm lobby that started pushing for the school reduced and free lunch program. And the government who had all that food in warehouses that they had 'purchased' needing a place to go.

I also remember vividly the soft drink people pushing long and hard to get soda machines into schools. Their selling point was the school got part of the take. Now they just replace soda with other sugar water drinks
As I said earlier, it was essentially the Army wanting to fatten up the skinny recruits that came in during the
WWII draft.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:40 PM

11,973 posts, read 8,637,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
As I said earlier, it was essentially the Army wanting to fatten up the skinny recruits that came in during the
WWII draft.
Thanks. That would have been a hard job. People were really skinny back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies