U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM

31,024 posts, read 15,931,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have no idea but probably not. It's difficult to know without knowing where you are. You may very well be in a high poverty area which may or may not be related to the hurricane. The school meals program was expanded during the Obama Administration.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/faqs
We are not in a high poverty area, and the letter that went out to us the first year specifically said it was via a federal grant obtained due to Hurricane Harvey.

The letter that came last week stated the grant was approved again this year and the free lunches for EVERY STUDENT would continue for the 2019 - 2020 year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:12 PM

30,477 posts, read 16,768,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Go to your bedroom, get down on your knees, and thank God for the good fortune you have had. Also pray for the people who DO need a helping hand, and whose only meal during the day may be that "free" meal they get at school.

It is so easy to criticize others, but, unless we walk in their shoes, we have no idea what we are talking about.
Its easy to pretend you're king the moral universe when spending someone elses money.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM

21,652 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Go to your bedroom, get down on your knees, and thank God for the good fortune you have had. Also pray for the people who DO need a helping hand, and whose only meal during the day may be that "free" meal they get at school.

It is so easy to criticize others, but, unless we walk in their shoes, we have no idea what we are talking about.
Yes, because some of us are blessed, we should be forced to pay for freebies for students who are just as blessed....just because.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 PM

58,461 posts, read 41,485,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Debt only comes from spending. Period.

Nah, debt comes from spending money you don't have.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:23 PM

58,461 posts, read 41,485,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its easy to pretend you're king the moral universe when spending someone elses money.

Hey! It works for the MIC!

Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 PM

1,267 posts, read 228,916 times
Woah why are people mad at liberals here? I get they support these programs but we are talking Texas here.

Republican Governor wants it. Republican President is authorizing it. Republican Secretary of Education. Republican state currently. I haven’t hit a liberal who controls this flow of money at any point.

BTW it takes longer than 1-2 years to recover from a hurricane. If you don’t like the time and money it cost to recover then move the city or too bad. Just a 1 foot sea rise regardless of the cause makes all these disasters much much worse.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:36 PM

31,657 posts, read 14,068,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Another part of liberalism is the belief that we should pay for things instead of putting everything on the credit card. Do you pay your bills at home or do you pass them on to your children?
huh? A republican state government, i.e. Texas requested this assistance from a Republican run federal government and you are blaming "liberalism"?

Old 08-21-2019, 01:37 PM

4,906 posts, read 4,482,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.
If the biggest complaint that you can come up with is that the Feds are providing lunches for school children in the wake of your area's continued recovery from Hurricane Harvey, you really are scraping the bottom of the conservative outrage barrel. Why, the next thing you know FEMA may start dropping blue tarps all over Puerto Rico which has yet to recover from Hurricane Maria.

The Republican Party - bringing the US hungry children since Herbet Hoover.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nah, debt comes from spending money you don't have.
Actually no.

You can have $2 million in the bank and only $5 on a credit card, but you still have debt by spending that $5 which is still owed. Now, if you use $5 from that $2 million you have, you no longer have that $5 debt.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If the biggest complaint that you can come up with is that the Feds are providing lunches for school children in the wake of your area's continued recovery from Hurricane Harvey, you really are scraping the bottom of the conservative outrage barrel. Why, the next thing you know FEMA may start dropping blue tarps all over Puerto Rico which has yet to recover from Hurricane Maria.

The Republican Party - bringing the US hungry children since Herbet Hoover.
They're wasting money.

I guess you're ok with wasting money, and that would explain your political affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies