U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

10,514 posts, read 4,017,770 times

Advertisements

I used to put money on my child's school account for lunch, until I found out she was buying food for other kids. So I pack her lunch now. It can't be that hard for a parent to drop a sandwich into a bag for their kid every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:56 PM

31,040 posts, read 15,931,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You know what the tax burden is on people for stuff like this? Peanuts. You can find out how much the federal budget gives away instead of "guessing" by googling it. It is a matter of public record.
The government has never bought a trillion dollar tank.

Our huge budget and deficit is made up of millions of peanuts. The cost of another aircraft carrier is peanuts when it comes to the national budget. The cost of deploying 10,000 troops in Afghanistan is peanuts when it comes to the nation budget.

I'll bet a very large number of people with hardly any retirement savings would be in really good shape had they paid attention to peanuts; however, most of them at the time would probably say, having dinner out tonight isn't going to hurt us financially.

You should really give Dave Ramsey a listen.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM

10,286 posts, read 4,789,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Where do they get the money from now? I'm sure it's stolen but just curious.
Taxes paid by people in the school district.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:10 PM

14,322 posts, read 6,568,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I used to put money on my child's school account for lunch, until I found out she was buying food for other kids. So I pack her lunch now. It can't be that hard for a parent to drop a sandwich into a bag for their kid every day.
No it shouldnít but guess what? There are crappy parents out there. Why do you people take issue with this? And then you want us to believe when you screech how much you care about the children? Please, what a load of you know what.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 PM

4,841 posts, read 4,078,696 times
I wasnít consulted in the decision to have these children, and certainly not involved in the process. Iím already on the hook to educate them, and in many cases house them and provide food stamps, medical care, etc. At the least, send them over on the weekend to mow the lawn or wash the car as thanks. Our highway medians are looking a bit weedy too. TANSTAAFL.

Are these schools or restaurants?

Old 08-21-2019, 04:43 PM

5,892 posts, read 1,487,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
How many of those free meals go to the millions and millions of illegalsí kids?
I would never want ANY child to go hungry, but again, another way we taxpayers are subsidizing businesses so they can make bigger profits with their cheap labor.
I get the free and reduced paperwork every year. I looked at it for the first time. There is an income chart and if you make under $x, you qualify. AND if you are a migrant. No income requirements at all.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its easy to pretend you're king the moral universe when spending someone elses money.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM

11,974 posts, read 8,640,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Taxes paid by people in the school district.
13.8 Billion came from the feds last year for 29.7 million kids. Some local districts kick in some.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its easy to pretend you're king the moral universe when spending someone elses money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't often agree with you but I do here.

But....why would anyone pack a lunch when they can get if for free????

Old 08-21-2019, 04:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 8,640,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Woah why are people mad at liberals here? I get they support these programs but we are talking Texas here.

Republican Governor wants it. Republican President is authorizing it. Republican Secretary of Education. Republican state currently. I havenít hit a liberal who controls this flow of money at any point.

BTW it takes longer than 1-2 years to recover from a hurricane. If you donít like the time and money it cost to recover then move the city or too bad. Just a 1 foot sea rise regardless of the cause makes all these disasters much much worse.
It is estimated 5% of Houston flooded during Harvey. But the Republicans had their hands in every pocket they could reach for aide. They love FEMA here.

FWIW, i'd rather spend money on lunches for destitute kids than subsidized flood insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies