U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,663 posts, read 14,068,921 times
Reputation: 22702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They parents should use the food stamps they currently receive to feed them and get rid of this program.
Not every family whose children receive free lunches get SNAP benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 PM
 
6,533 posts, read 3,047,580 times
Reputation: 16670
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
God forbid we let people keep more of their own money.

I guess part of liberalism is the belief that we should be taxed as much as possible and then figure out where to spend it.

How about we stop wasting money on buying food for kids that are provided food by their parents and stop wasting money playing the world police?
Here is some free food for thought. THAT FREE FOOD, IS ABOUT 4-6 DOLLARS, yearly. of your individual tax. You do pay on avg 100-200 $ per year though for some of the following federal funded programs.
Weapons. Bribes. (Yes we bribe to get information from our counter parts).
Presidential security . State dinners and travel.
Yet here you sit smug in how it ires you to pay Iin 6$.
Go talk to uncle Sam see if you can get an exemption for paying in to that program .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,278 posts, read 11,460,543 times
Reputation: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not every family whose children receive free lunches get SNAP benefits.
An extremely, extremely high percentage does. Feel better now? lol

Children from families with incomes at or below 130 percent of the poverty level are eligible for free meals.

SNAP is roughly the same. Among other things like Gross monthly income 130 percent of poverty and Net monthly income 100 percent of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,278 posts, read 11,460,543 times
Reputation: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Here is some free food for thought. THAT FREE FOOD, IS ABOUT 4-6 DOLLARS, yearly. of your individual tax. You do pay on avg 100-200 $ per year though for some of the following federal funded programs.
Weapons. Bribes. (Yes we bribe to get information from our counter parts).
Presidential security . State dinners and travel.
Yet here you sit smug in how it ires you to pay Iin 6$.
Go talk to uncle Sam see if you can get an exemption for paying in to that program .
How about I get to decide for myself, where my money goes? We didn't have a Federal Tax for most of our history until 1913. At a minimum put states in complete control of the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,663 posts, read 14,068,921 times
Reputation: 22702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You hit the nose right on the head. Welfare causes people to not take care of their kids and to not work.
A free lunch for a poor kid on top of the measly welfare benefits that the poor receive would not cause anyone in their right mind to quit their job and go on welfare.
  • Subsidized housing of any type is only available to about 1/4 of the poor.
  • Welfare is never provided after 60 months and in some states, i.e. Arizona welfare is terminated after 12 months.
  • TANF is the only source of cash welfare benefit, the monthly amount varies by state but it does not provide enough cash to pay for rent in any state. In Mississippi the cash grant for a family of 3 is $170, in Arizona it's $278.
  • SNAP benefits average $1.40 per meal
  • The only other benefits generally available to welfare recipients is medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,663 posts, read 14,068,921 times
Reputation: 22702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How about I get to decide for myself, where my money goes? We didn't have a Federal Tax for most of our history until 1913. At a minimum put states in complete control of the program.
Lol and if you don't want to pay for schools, you can just opt out? Maybe people who are house bound could opt out of paying for road repair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM
 
11,974 posts, read 8,640,633 times
Reputation: 7300
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Past retirees did receive more in Social Security than they put in-that would be the Greatest Generation that lived through the Great Depression, won WW II and came home to start offshoring jobs when the got control of industry.

The Baby Boom, on the other hand, will receive less than they put in, a fact known for a couple decades but ignored by you.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/10/its-...-security.html
Before DH retired in 1992 he did a study for his employer that came up with the same result.

He also did one on everything he had paid into Social security. If he had all he paid in, plus his employers share, invested at the same rate, yada yada, it would be throwing off a lot more than what we get from SS.

IIRC, they didn't figure Medicare, that's the cost. But, those of us who just get an annual check up and maybe some blood pressure medication, who knows. But, he took early out because his employer paid healthcare cost while he lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 PM
 
11,356 posts, read 11,127,163 times
Reputation: 5641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
This is money we could be using to invade and get kicked out of some small country somewhere and it`s being wasted on food. Oh the humanity!
Or maybe we can give the 0.1-1% even more of a tax cut. They really need it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,278 posts, read 11,460,543 times
Reputation: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Lol and if you don't want to pay for schools, you can just opt out? Maybe people who are house bound could opt out of paying for road repair?
The money they pay for products that use those roads to deliver goods and services means they do pay. Which is why I said the gas tax should pay for it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,278 posts, read 11,460,543 times
Reputation: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A free lunch for a poor kid on top of the measly welfare benefits that the poor receive would not cause anyone in their right mind to quit their job and go on welfare.
  • Subsidized housing of any type is only available to about 1/4 of the poor.
  • Welfare is never provided after 60 months and in some states, i.e. Arizona welfare is terminated after 12 months.
  • TANF is the only source of cash welfare benefit, the monthly amount varies by state but it does not provide enough cash to pay for rent in any state. In Mississippi the cash grant for a family of 3 is $170, in Arizona it's $278.
  • SNAP benefits average $1.40 per meal
  • The only other benefits generally available to welfare recipients is medical care.
Arizona, gee only 5 years? Is that all?

AZ 12 Years after the crash.

May 2019 770,000 on food stamps 2007 541,000 on food stamps 770000/541000= 42% increase
May 2019 7,275,000 population June 2007 6,360,000 7275,000/6,360.000= 14% increase

Food stamps are 42% higher while population grew 14%

When you subsidize something you get more of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top