Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Arizona, gee only 5 years? Is that all?

AZ 12 Years after the crash.

May 2019 770,000 on food stamps 2007 541,000 on food stamps 770000/541000= 42% increase
May 2019 7,275,000 population June 2007 6,360,000 7275,000/6,360.000= 14% increase

Food stamps are 42% higher while population grew 14%

When you subsidize something you get more of it.
No you didn't read what I said. Arizona TANF recipients only get benefits for 12 months. The federal maximum is 5 years. And now for some unknown reason you are conflating TANF with SNAP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
The Roman Government began Cura Annoname, free bread to the citizens. This prevented riots. But it created a forever poor class that made babies who also received the free bread, and their kids, and so forth. It ended when the empire ended.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No you didn't read what I said. Arizona TANF recipients only get benefits for 12 months. The federal maximum is 5 years. And now for some unknown reason you are conflating TANF with SNAP
My mistake. Temporary is in the name TANF. But that's cash benefits. Plus states may use federal TANF funds to support up to 20 percent of the caseload beyond 60 months.
The 60 month limit is only for Federal and not state benefits.

Where did you get the info that food stamps are stopped after 12 months in AZ?I could only find the following.
As long as a person works 80 hours a month, the individual can continue to receive food stamps, said Angie Rodgers, president and CEO of the Arizona Association of Food Banks.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...unty/78865968/

There are no limits to how long you can get SNAP if you have children/dependents living in your household or are under age 18 or over age 50.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Old 08-23-2019, 09:35 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its easy to pretend you're king the moral universe when spending someone elses money.
What? You think I am exempt from paying taxes and other charges ? I bet I contribute at least as much, if not more, a year than you do.........we all do.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
My mistake. Temporary is in the name TANF. But that's cash benefits. Plus states may use federal TANF funds to support up to 20 percent of the caseload beyond 60 months.
The 60 month limit is only for Federal and not state benefits.

Where did you get the info that food stamps are stopped after 12 months in AZ?I could only find the following.
As long as a person works 80 hours a month, the individual can continue to receive food stamps, said Angie Rodgers, president and CEO of the Arizona Association of Food Banks.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...unty/78865968/

There are no limits to how long you can get SNAP if you have children/dependents living in your household or are under age 18 or over age 50.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
I never said SNAP is stopped in Arizona after 12 months. And the 60 month federal limit for TANF is the max, states can set lower limits, i.e. Arizona 12 months, Connecticut 21 months, California 48 months, Texas 60 months.

My point in this is to illustrate that Welfare does not provide a sustainable existence unless you are fortunate enough to get subsidized housing or can live rent free with friends or family. I can't think of any reason why a person would choose a life on welfare over a job.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
I never said SNAP is stopped in Arizona after 12 months. And the 60 month federal limit for TANF is the max, states can set lower limits, i.e. Arizona 12 months, Connecticut 21 months, California 48 months, Texas 60 months.

My point in this is to illustrate that Welfare does not provide a sustainable existence unless you are fortunate enough to get subsidized housing or can live rent free with friends or family. I can't think of any reason why a person would choose a life on welfare over a job.
For your last statement, because there are those who don't know anything else. We're now into the 3rd or maybe 4th generation of people who have had no other existence but to be on the public dole.

I taught long enough in the same high school to have multiple generations from families. Almost without fail the kids of kids I had early on were on FARM/TANF just like the parents.

And TANF doesn't necessarily stop at 5 years, there are exceptions which, when it comes to kids and the expanded definition of "disabled" negate the time limit.
https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/re...-5-year-time#b

Old 08-23-2019, 01:07 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
I can't begrudge giving a free meal to a poor kid who can't afford one, at least while they're in school. Kids get "free" lunches anyway, from their parents. It's not like that's creating a lifetime dependency.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Its part of the Farm Bill. So are food stamps. Its called killing two birds with one stone. Farmers produce excess food and we have millions of poor and hungry Americans. We could be mean and heartless and let people go hungry and just give Farmers more money not to produce so much food. But that would be giving them welfare.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For your last statement, because there are those who don't know anything else. We're now into the 3rd or maybe 4th generation of people who have had no other existence but to be on the public dole.

I taught long enough in the same high school to have multiple generations from families. Almost without fail the kids of kids I had early on were on FARM/TANF just like the parents.

And TANF doesn't necessarily stop at 5 years, there are exceptions which, when it comes to kids and the expanded definition of "disabled" negate the time limit.
https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/re...-5-year-time#b
actually I don't disagree with anything you just said, and I was NOT defending the current welfare system, I was addressing a comment in this thread. To paraphrase, "welfare is so great that if they give kids free lunches on top of all the other goodies people will quit their jobs and go on welfare"

The welfare system is and always has been awful. It's wasteful, treats adults like children and lacks any meaningful path to work or to entrepreneurship.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:

Seriously? You have not been out in the world much, have you? No matter where you travel, there are always people trying to get by with doing nothing for something. It takes different forms. In Venice, they try to con you with street card games. In LA, they try to convince you they need bus money because their car broke down. There are people in this world who enjoy scamming. If they put as much work into getting a real job as they do scamming people, they would probably do alright. This has been around since time began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies