Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 12:44 PM

21,127 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

If people can’t afford to feed their kids, maybe they shouldn’t be having them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 12:48 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is because children were often coming in without eating breakfast. They would perform very poorly until lunchtime because they hadn’t had a meal in over 12 hours. They found it was cheaper to provide breakfast than to provide classroom and other interventions for all of these kids who really didn’t need any academic support.
It's enabling their parents by doing so. They know that their kids will be fed at school so they take advantage of it. I'm opposed to schools providing free meals, period. The parents are responsible for feeding their own kids. I'm with another poster who said "can't feed em, don't breed em".

Old 08-24-2019, 12:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Extensive experience in schools in Georgia and South Caorlina.

Many of the families getting free breakfast and lunch have two working parents.

They both work at fast food and by the time they pay rent, etc.....they don't have much left over.

I'm not sure what the answer is -- I don't support a federal minimum wage because of the vast differences in cost of living across the country......

The notion that everyone on some kind of assistance isn't working is a naive one.

Sure there is lots of abuse but there are lots of times it isn't abuse...it's a genuine lack of income.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:27 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Those parents who supposedly can't feed their own kids are usually on food stamps. Providing free meals for them at school is like double dipping.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:39 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Extensive experience in schools in Georgia and South Caorlina.

Many of the families getting free breakfast and lunch have two working parents.

They both work at fast food and by the time they pay rent, etc.....they don't have much left over.

I'm not sure what the answer is -- I don't support a federal minimum wage because of the vast differences in cost of living across the country......

The notion that everyone on some kind of assistance isn't working is a naive one.

Sure there is lots of abuse but there are lots of times it isn't abuse...it's a genuine lack of income.
I honestly don't mind it if it is people who are here legally. It's when they are here illegally that bugs me. How many people are we going to let in and then have to support?

Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think what a lot of you, and most everyone, miss is that there are literally millions of totally dysfunctional adults out there. I'm not talking the working poor or those, through no fault of their own, have hit rough times but totally and completely dysfunctional. Meaning can't even organize themselves enough to pour a bowl of cereal. That's because most people don't come into contact with them.

Alcohol and drugs play a part but so does a subculture of multi generational dependency. It goes across demographics and location but you do see more in urban areas just due to population density.

Temporary programs become permanent and are passed down.

It's easy to say "don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em" but that's unrealistic unless you want to go down the eugenics road.

I was 30 when I started teaching. Early on I had a parent conference with a 28 year old mother who came to arrange take home work for her pregnant 14 year old daughter, the oldest of five kids (I had her and her year younger brother). Does anyone think those kids learned how to function?

At the middle/upper middle class high school I went to a few years later I had one girl whose family kicked her out in 10th grade. She apparently was getting "snotty" (Mom's description) because she hadn't dropped out in 9th grade, as everyone else in the family had done as far back as you cared to go, and wouldn't get pregnant to "help the family" with bills. She did end up pregnant as a Senior.

That's who you're dealing with.
It is a generational cycle of entitlement that seems to have no end. It’s not the governments or individual communities job to feed and clothe every child yet things are leaning more and more in that direction. First it was lunch, now breakfasts been added, soon it’ll be dinner, and then maybe the kids will be sleeping at school too. There definitely is an ever growing mentality around that someone can keep having babies but they don’t have to take care of them in any way. There are people who are perfectly content staying on the dole their entire lives. They’ve never worked, their parents never worked , grandparents maybe worked part time a few weeks here and there. This is their lifestyle. Their children won’t have shoes or school supplies or backpacks or anything unless the whole family treks over to the LA mission to get their handouts.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:20 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
It is a generational cycle of entitlement that seems to have no end. It’s not the governments or individual communities job to feed and clothe every child yet things are leaning more and more in that direction. First it was lunch, now breakfasts been added, soon it’ll be dinner, and then maybe the kids will be sleeping at school too. There definitely is an ever growing mentality around that someone can keep having babies but they don’t have to take care of them in any way. There are people who are perfectly content staying on the dole their entire lives. They’ve never worked, their parents never worked , grandparents maybe worked part time a few weeks here and there. This is their lifestyle. Their children won’t have shoes or school supplies or backpacks or anything unless the whole family treks over to the LA mission to get their handouts.
The idea is to have more and more people dependent on the state.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:21 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I honestly don't mind it if it is people who are here legally. It's when they are here illegally that bugs me. How many people are we going to let in and then have to support?
Why should I have to feed, clothe, or educate anyone else's kids, regardless if they're here legally?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
You know school is about to start across the US when one of these "muuuhh taxes are feeding kids" threads shows up. Why can't we just send these kids back into the mines ?

Meanwhile in France,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovO18E-hgew

You guys are a riot. One Aircraft carrier 13 billion dollars. One school lunch 1 dollar.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think what a lot of you, and most everyone, miss is that there are literally millions of totally dysfunctional adults out there. I'm not talking the working poor or those, through no fault of their own, have hit rough times but totally and completely dysfunctional. Meaning can't even organize themselves enough to pour a bowl of cereal. That's because most people don't come into contact with them.

Alcohol and drugs play a part but so does a subculture of multi generational dependency. It goes across demographics and location but you do see more in urban areas just due to population density.

Temporary programs become permanent and are passed down.

It's easy to say "don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em" but that's unrealistic unless you want to go down the eugenics road.

I was 30 when I started teaching. Early on I had a parent conference with a 28 year old mother who came to arrange take home work for her pregnant 14 year old daughter, the oldest of five kids (I had her and her year younger brother). Does anyone think those kids learned how to function?

At the middle/upper middle class high school I went to a few years later I had one girl whose family kicked her out in 10th grade. She apparently was getting "snotty" (Mom's description) because she hadn't dropped out in 9th grade, as everyone else in the family had done as far back as you cared to go, and wouldn't get pregnant to "help the family" with bills. She did end up pregnant as a Senior.

That's who you're dealing with.
Yep. And unless you work in one of those schools, most of those on the functional parenting scale can not begin to fathom how bad or prevalent it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies