U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 10:49 AM

31,037 posts, read 15,931,350 times

Advertisements

I live in an area impacted pretty hard by Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

Our school district has once again received federal grant money to continue providing free breakfast and free lunches.

Now, I can kind of understand allowing families to apply for and receive such assistance (kind of) who have lost practically everything; however, just like last year, ALL students receive free breakfast and free lunch regardless if you had any losses or not.

When people, and schools, are offered stuff for free, it's hard to blame them for taking it. My problem is with the federal government continuing to take tax money from people in places like Arizona or Maine and using it to provide free food for two years to my kids. We CHOSE to move to a place where hurricanes are pretty much guaranteed, so it's my belief that since we CHOSE to take that risk people in other places shouldn't be on the hook for my CHOICE to take that risk.

Obviously, this isn't something that is going to be unique. I'd bet good money the federal government gives away billions upon billions of dollar via such programs.

BTW, no, my kids are not eating the free lunches, we pack lunches for them each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM

8,776 posts, read 2,036,666 times
Example #389563384 of why government schools should be abolished.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM

6,647 posts, read 3,453,138 times
How many of those free meals go to the millions and millions of illegals’ kids?
I would never want ANY child to go hungry, but again, another way we taxpayers are subsidizing businesses so they can make bigger profits with their cheap labor.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM

7,507 posts, read 3,853,330 times
This is money we could be using to invade and get kicked out of some small country somewhere and it`s being wasted on food. Oh the humanity!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
This is money we could be using to invade and get kicked out of some small country somewhere and it`s being wasted on food. Oh the humanity!
God forbid we let people keep more of their own money.

I guess part of liberalism is the belief that we should be taxed as much as possible and then figure out where to spend it.

How about we stop wasting money on buying food for kids that are provided food by their parents and stop wasting money playing the world police?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM

14,935 posts, read 10,833,717 times
It’s not because of Hurricane Harvey, it’s because a large percentage of the students attending the school qualify for free and reduced lunch. It’s part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

USDA|School Meals: Community Eligibility Provision

Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 AM

8,776 posts, read 2,036,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I guess part of liberalism is the belief that we should be taxed as much as possible and then figure out where to spend it.

How about we stop wasting money on buying food for kids that are provided food by their parents and stop wasting money playing the world police?
Reagan doubled the Dept of Education. No Republican since--other than Ron Paul--has even campaigned on abolishing it. GOPers are every bit as guilty as libs.

How about we completely abolish government schools and let parents handle their kids' educations?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Its not because of Hurricane Harvey, its because a large percentage of the students attending the school qualify for free and reduced lunch. Its part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

USDA|School Meals: Community Eligibility Provision
Yes it is.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/disaster/te...ion-assistance

Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 AM

7,507 posts, read 3,853,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Another part of liberalism is the belief that we should pay for things instead of putting everything on the credit card. Do you pay your bills at home or do you pass them on to your children?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Another part of liberalism is the belief that we should pay for things instead of putting everything on the credit card. Do you pay your bills at home or do you pass them on to your children?
Debt only comes from spending. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies