U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,377 posts, read 628,945 times
Reputation: 1855

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Why can't roads be privately owned and operated?

Why does the government have to provide security instead of private companies?
Fair points.

But someone would still have to foot the bill.

Would rather leave security to our Armed Forces than some private company. It would take a a week before we were invaded, maybe less.

I lean conservative but I'm happy to pay my share, not one penny more one penny less.

But I also live in a state where we pay basically nothing in taxes.

My inlaws in upstate NY, I've been married 5 years now and I still can't swallow their tax bills. It's normal up there to pay more in taxes than to your actual house payment. That's just flat unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,657 posts, read 1,979,435 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Fair points.

But someone would still have to foot the bill.

Would rather leave security to our Armed Forces than some private company. It would take a a week before we were invaded, maybe less.

I lean conservative but I'm happy to pay my share, not one penny more one penny less.

But I also live in a state where we pay basically nothing in taxes.

My inlaws in upstate NY, I've been married 5 years now and I still can't swallow their tax bills. It's normal up there to pay more in taxes than to your actual house payment. That's just flat unbelievable.
I disagree. I firmly believe privately-funded mercenary companies would be far cheaper and far better than a government military.

As an anarcho-capitalist, my fair share is $0. No one has the right to the fruits of my labor. People should only pay for what they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Out West
23,005 posts, read 17,034,061 times
Reputation: 26612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I disagree. I firmly believe privately-funded mercenary companies would be far cheaper and far better than a government military.

As an anarcho-capitalist, my fair share is $0. No one has the right to the fruits of my labor. People should only pay for what they use.
Re: bolded

Okay, then I think for the most part we are in agreement. Only pay for what you use. So, if I fill up my tank with gas, and the taxes on that go to the roads, then I'm paying for what I use - although I agree that me having to pay as much in that tax as someone with a vehicle far heavier than mine isn't right - but I'm in agreement with you only pay taxes towards the roads if you actually use the roads.

Sales tax covers the same thing. You only pay for what you're using, you're not forced to pay a general tax for goods that you don't even use. You only pay if you use them.

Income tax - is theft. I will ask the question again:

When this country did not have income tax, how were those roads, fire, and police paid for?

That question is for those who say they like their roads and to be able to call the cops.

And rebolder, I still want to know, for those who are completely unable to care for themselves, what is your solution to that? You've never answered. You just keep saying "all tax is theft". I understand that is how you feel, but I'm going to continue to ask, for this particular situation, those who cannot care for themselves, how will they be taken care of?

I'm almost onboard with some of you "anarchists" (which, in reality, is how Conservatism used to be), but I would like to hear ideas on the one issue I don't know how else to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,377 posts, read 628,945 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I disagree. I firmly believe privately-funded mercenary companies would be far cheaper and far better than a government military.
No way, we dropped an atom bomb 75 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
As an anarcho-capitalist, my fair share is $0. No one has the right to the fruits of my labor. People should only pay for what they use.
I hate taxes, too. Nobody would pay them if they didn't have to.

If you ever want to stump a liberal, ask them how much extra they pay Uncle Sam each year.

Or ask them when they get their paychecks if they're mad the government didn't take more.

You will hear crickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,377 posts, read 628,945 times
Reputation: 1855
All that said though, I don't mind paying taxes. But yes they're not fun and if I could get away with paying nothing, I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,362 posts, read 9,872,280 times
Reputation: 9855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
No way, we dropped an atom bomb 75 years ago.
Correction: The Federal Reserve and the Bank of England dropped an atom bomb 75 years ago. They were fully willing to drop one on Anytown, USA as well seeing that they funded Hitler too. U.S. scientists were just a hair faster.

Us peasants just paid the piper via our wallets and lives. Same thing in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Japan, Germany, etc, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,377 posts, read 628,945 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Correction: The Federal Reserve and the Bank of England dropped an atom bomb 75 years ago. They were fully willing to drop one on Anytown, USA as well seeing that they funded Hitler too. U.S. scientists were just a hair faster.

Us peasants just paid the piper via our wallets and lives. Same thing in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Japan, Germany, etc, etc, etc.
So you're saying we didn't drop bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I'm trying to decipher your rhetoric. Japan got what they deserved, so stubborn, warned repeatedly to surrender or face mass destruction. Blood is on them, not us. Don't drag us into WW2 and complain when we finish it.

And you're saying "they were fully willing to drop on on Anytown, USA"?

So what, we were about to drop the bombs on US soil?

You sure about that?

The Manhattan Project was 15 miles away from my front door in a suburb.

https://www.nashvillepublicradio.org...b-75-years-ago

But no bombs were detonated on US soil.

The Japanese were unfathomably evil.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/unit-731

I know now with everything so PC and all the SJWs (whose grandparents and great grandparents are SPINNING in their graves I might add) we can't even address history without "BUT THE KIDS....."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,362 posts, read 9,872,280 times
Reputation: 9855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
So you're saying we didn't drop bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I'm trying to decipher your rhetoric. Japan got what they deserved, so stubborn, warned repeatedly to surrender or face mass destruction. Blood is on them, not us. Don't drag us into WW2 and complain when we finish it.

And you're saying "they were fully willing to drop on on Anytown, USA"?

So what, we were about to drop the bombs on US soil?

You sure about that?

The Manhattan Project was 15 miles away from my front door in a suburb.

https://www.nashvillepublicradio.org...b-75-years-ago

But no bombs were detonated on US soil.

The Japanese were unfathomably evil.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/unit-731

I know now with everything so PC and all the SJWs (whose grandparents and great grandparents are SPINNING in their graves I might add) we can't even address history without "BUT THE KIDS....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfEBupAeo4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,657 posts, read 1,979,435 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Re: bolded

Okay, then I think for the most part we are in agreement. Only pay for what you use. So, if I fill up my tank with gas, and the taxes on that go to the roads, then I'm paying for what I use - although I agree that me having to pay as much in that tax as someone with a vehicle far heavier than mine isn't right - but I'm in agreement with you only pay taxes towards the roads if you actually use the roads.

And rebolder, I still want to know, for those who are completely unable to care for themselves, what is your solution to that? You've never answered. You just keep saying "all tax is theft". I understand that is how you feel, but I'm going to continue to ask, for this particular situation, those who cannot care for themselves, how will they be taken care of?

I'm almost onboard with some of you "anarchists" (which, in reality, is how Conservatism used to be), but I would like to hear ideas on the one issue I don't know how else to fix.
To answer your question--charities and other nonprofits.

Most people are giving and generous. Just look at what happens after a natural disaster--some people loot and rob, but the vast majority of people come together and help each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
 
13,017 posts, read 4,014,733 times
Reputation: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
To answer your question--charities and other nonprofits.

Most people are giving and generous. Just look at what happens after a natural disaster--some people loot and rob, but the vast majority of people come together and help each other.
Yeah right, most charities distribute less 10% of what they take in to helping anyone. No one gives a crap about the elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top