U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

8,688 posts, read 1,988,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
LBJ did more permanent damage to this country than FDR and possible every other Democrat president.

Trump is probably the best President we had since FDR.

It's not a sob story about my mother. It's the reality about the very elderly.
Wilson was the worst President in U.S. history. Lincoln is close behind.

After them come FDR, LBJ, Teddy, and W.

How does gun control, huge budgets, interfering in the free market, import taxes, and huge debt make him a good President?

Oh, and it is a sob story. It's right out of the leftist playbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

13,043 posts, read 4,020,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Wilson was the worst President in U.S. history. Lincoln is close behind.

After them come FDR, LBJ, Teddy, and W.

How does gun control, huge budgets, interfering in the free market, import taxes, and huge debt make him a good President?

Oh, and it is a sob story. It's right out of the leftist playbook.
I agree somewhat with your rankings of worst presidents. You have to put Trump into his time frame and what he personal did that was new and damaging I think.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

25,365 posts, read 9,879,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
You seem to know your history, however I can't really take this too seriously if you really think Hitler didn't hate Jews. He wanted a "special" race of people and to dominate the world, Jews were inferior to him and he blamed them for a lot.
Throughout history we have had "bonuses" for the war machine (the central banks).

You talked about Japan being evil. Honestly, they haven't invented a word for how evil they were in their conquests through China during the Second Sino-Japanese War. It's an interesting case because of how rabid the Japanese were in mixing statism with traditional religious elements (most notably Zen Buddhism). The Emperor was believed to be an Arahitogami (a living god). A form of religion, known as State Shinto, was adopted which was entangled with ultra-nationalism much earlier in Hirohito's rule. Other religions were banned/strongly "shunned".

That kind of brainwashing over decades led to individuals on the ground to treat fellow humans lower than garbage (Nanking Massacre, Bataan Death March). It is why I will always speak out against statism because of how it can, and always does, result in the lowest treatment of fellow humans.

See, there's the bonus. It's the emotional tug to stop the Japanese because their State, and more importantly the individuals doing these deeds on behalf of said State, were savages.

On Hitler...

Yes, hated Jews. Killed millions of them. Enslaved millions of them. But that isn't what got him in primary trouble with the other State actors in Europe. England (ever see their empire map circa 1939?) had no trouble enslaving and exploiting people all around the world. France? Go ask the elders in Algeria what the French soldiers were doing there during Hitler's rise to power.

Point is, every State has no problem raping/robbing/killing in the name of nationalism. What? Churchill and de Gaulle got morals all of a sudden? Highly unlikely.

The bonus for the central banks looking to impose their curreny on the "German Miracle" was Hitler's treatment of Jews and other "undesirables". To me and you, or anyone with a shred of morality, Hitler's crimes were violating Jews...not simply wanting to avoid doing business with a private bank. That's because we learned in Kindergarten that theft, rape, and murder are bad. Simply not wanting to do a business transaction with another entity is not bad...it's benign.

It's thinking with your heart instead of your head that you must avoid. All of us must avoid it. That leads to the dark side of the force (to channel Obi Wan Kenobi) known as statism where the ends always justify the means.

And that's why the central banks love war because you can't help feel pain for the victims. All these years later and you see footage of the Jews rescued at the camps, or the little girl running with napalm on her naked body through Vietnam, or the Chinese men and women savagely beaten, raped, and killed by Japanese soldiers.

You automatically think with your heart: We needed to save them! We had to do this! Government had to "help".

What us anarchists are asking you to do is take a step back and think about what exactly put these events in motion that led to these atrocities. Breathe. Breathe deep. Use your head, not your heart. In our humble opinion it is the belief in the State. The belief in preordained violence being necessary for a common good. The belief in a "Social Contract" where a man's rights are ceded to the State at birth and distributed back to him over his lifetime. History has shown, time and again, that the State is the one common denominator when looking at the world's most horrific atrocities. Maybe it's time to rethink the paradigm? The government would not have to "help" if it first hadn't got involved in the first place.

I know the last video was long so here's one that's less than 3 minutes. Let Walter E Williams, a great man, break it down for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVtERFbVno

Last edited by No_Recess; Yesterday at 03:39 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree somewhat with your rankings of worst presidents. You have to put Trump into his time frame and what he personal did that was new and damaging I think.
No president is "good" but you do have kinder masters throughout history. I hesitate to engage you folks in such an endeavor because I don't want it to look like I'm endorsing the paradigm but generally speaking the worst presidents, in terms of natural rights violations, tend to be the most popular.

Well, except for Woodrow Wilson. He isn't very popular but there's a special place in hell for that SOB.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

https://reason.com/2014/05/15/be-ant...ent-and-proud/

And we have this (less than a minute long!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3cb3ZBmcuw

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

19,782 posts, read 12,444,507 times
Quote:
Libs and lefties need not respond, because we all know what your answer will be.

Do you, or do you not, believe that taxation is theft? If not, why?
No- if you want roads, bridges, and a military, gotta pay taxes.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

40,751 posts, read 40,325,264 times
Most people realize that a certain level of taxation is required. It's the hyper-libertarian set that gets sorta weird when it comes to taxation in my opinion.

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

8,688 posts, read 1,988,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No- if you want roads, bridges, and a military, gotta pay taxes.
Why can't those things be built and run by private companies?

Does the State have some omnipotent power that the free market doesn't?

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,315,449 times
Quote:
Why can't those things be built and run by private companies?

Does the State have some omnipotent power that the free market doesn't?
There are things that government inherently does better than private industry, because they don't have a profit motive. I work in prisons, for example, and private prison companies cut corners that states simply won't. The only way that they can offer lower costs is to understaff, undertrain, underpay and reduce services - all of which have negative consequences for the public.

Do you really want to turn national defense over to a private company? Let this company get entrenched, then decide suddenly that they want to double what they charge for the service. Then what? Also, if things aren't being done as they should be, all that you could do is complain to their corporate office and hope that they did the right thing. The government would have no direct control over anything that happened. Privatization is no panacea.

Some things are just too important to entrust to people with a profit motive.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
There are things that government inherently does better than private industry, because they don't have a profit motive. I work in prisons, for example, and private prison companies cut corners that states simply won't. The only way that they can offer lower costs is to understaff, undertrain, underpay and reduce services - all of which have negative consequences for the public.

Do you really want to turn national defense over to a private company? Let this company get entrenched, then decide suddenly that they want to double what they charge for the service. Then what? Also, if things aren't being done as they should be, all that you could do is complain to their corporate office and hope that they did the right thing. The government would have no direct control over anything that happened. Privatization is no panacea.

Some things are just too important to entrust to people with a profit motive.
You're confusing "private prisons" with free-market prisons.

https://mises.org/wire/dont-confuse-...market-prisons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies