U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,688 posts, read 1,988,810 times
Reputation: 1703

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Sadly, even the guardian angel of the Republican Party, Ronald Reagan started the myth that Government Is the Problem. Shame on him. The Republican party has followed this mantra into near anarchy, but I do have hope that the GOP is quite near it's death which will require transformation.
LAWL

Republicans? Anarchy?

The GOP has as much to do with anarchy as Trump has with good hair.

And the State IS the problem.

Just ask the 200 million people killed by governments in the 20th century alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,391 posts, read 632,312 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
All government is wrong.

What gives you, or anyone else, the right to the fruits of my labor?
Start your own country?

I say this as a right-winger. I hate taxes.

I hate even more that 45% of Americans pay none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,688 posts, read 1,988,810 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Start your own country?

I say this as a right-winger. I hate taxes.

I hate even more that 45% of Americans pay none.
Why should I have to?

I hate that ANYONE has to pay taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,391 posts, read 632,312 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Why should I have to?

I hate that ANYONE has to pay taxes.
What exactly do you think you're entitled to?

(I'm not being a smart a$$, I'm trying to understand your position.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,688 posts, read 1,988,810 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
What exactly do you think you're entitled to?

(I'm not being a smart a$$, I'm trying to understand your position.)
Absolutely nothing.

I don't want the services the State "provides." The problem is I'm forced to use them and pay for ones I don't use because the State forbids competition.

I have no use for cops and the military doesn't protect my freedom. I shouldn't have to pay for government schools, since I don't have kids. Why should I have to fund the same agency (NSA) that spies on me? Why should I have to fund the CIA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,139 posts, read 980,968 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Sadly, even the guardian angel of the Republican Party, Ronald Reagan started the myth that Government Is the Problem. Shame on him. The Republican party has followed this mantra into near anarchy, but I do have hope that the GOP is quite near it's death which will require transformation.
Oh, is that who started the "myth"?

I'll put my copy of Common Sense back on the shelf then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
 
13,043 posts, read 4,020,558 times
Reputation: 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Absolutely nothing.

I don't want the services the State "provides." The problem is I'm forced to use them and pay for ones I don't use because the State forbids competition.

I have no use for cops and the military doesn't protect my freedom. I shouldn't have to pay for government schools, since I don't have kids. Why should I have to fund the same agency (NSA) that spies on me? Why should I have to fund the CIA?
I'd be okay with rolling the government back to where it was in about 1910 with a few exceptions (e.g. I'd probably keep Social Security, maybe Medicare, and the 1924 Immigration Act) ,basically I want to redo about 1910 to present where the government really screwed this country up. But you just take this anarchy, privatization and open borders stuff to far in the extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,688 posts, read 1,988,810 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'd be okay with rolling the government back to where it was in about 1910 with a few exceptions (e.g. I'd probably keep Social Security, maybe Medicare, and the 1924 Immigration Act) ,basically I want to redo about 1910 to present where the government really screwed this country up. But you just take this anarchy, privatization and open borders stuff to far in the extreme.
SS and Medicare have no right to exist, as it is my money and the government has no right to tell me what to do with it.

What's wrong with privatization? And when have I ever said I'm for open borders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,391 posts, read 632,312 times
Reputation: 1859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Absolutely nothing.

I don't want the services the State "provides." The problem is I'm forced to use them and pay for ones I don't use because the State forbids competition.

I have no use for cops and the military doesn't protect my freedom. I shouldn't have to pay for government schools, since I don't have kids. Why should I have to fund the same agency (NSA) that spies on me? Why should I have to fund the CIA?
Move to a cheap state is the best advice I can give you.

Taxes are the last thing on my mind, we barely pay any.

I have no kids either so I feel you there, but nevertheless my property tax bill that goes to public schools is $100. I can live with it.

You don't need to military because you are safe and always will be. War will never break out here (non civil at least, lol.) But if not, I'd be willing to wager you'd be calling on the calvary.

I hate taxes too, trust me....but it almost makes me proud, patriotic, etc. If I got lost in sea, boat capsized, the Coast Guard would spend god only knows how much trying to rescue me....because that's what I pay taxes for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
 
11,529 posts, read 7,438,428 times
Reputation: 4684
I like government and paying taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top