U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:41 PM

7,566 posts, read 2,713,385 times

Advertisements

Jerry Springer is a day time show and people are worrying kids will see this show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:50 PM

29,522 posts, read 40,025,534 times
I'm OK with it as long as it's lesbians. Dudes? No way.

Old Today, 05:53 PM

9,612 posts, read 9,373,440 times
Seems to me that anyone letting children watch reality TV is a bad parent to begin with.

Old Today, 05:58 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would any parent let their kids watch that crap anyway?

Lotta fragile men on the forum today. Oy.
I sure as heck don't. However, there are a few reality TV shows I don't mind them watching because I know it's pretty safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm OK with it as long as it's lesbians. Dudes? No way.
Isn't that a double standard?

Old Today, 05:58 PM

10,981 posts, read 10,647,942 times
As a kid, that's absolutely the last thing I would have wanted to see, other than maybe puppy torture films. But... hey if someone, anyone, wants to watch that sort of thing, have at it. Free country, supposedly. Personally, at this point, I'd rather watch grass grow or someone frying leeches for dinner, which would be more interesting/entertaining.

Old Today, 06:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 719,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
IMHO..It would be a form of mental child abuse.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...urnett-1233460

In our day and age no one should give unrestricted media access to a minor. In the old days they used to filter the books kids were allowed to read. Some books were deemed improper for young girls, Madame Bovary comes to mind (though the moral at the end is quite conservative). I haven't read Catcher in the Rye but I heard teens were not allowed to read it either. Parents are ultimately responsible for what their children see/read.

Old Today, 06:24 PM

1,601 posts, read 309,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
In our day and age no one should give unrestricted media access to a minor. In the old days they used to filter the books kids were allowed to read. Some books were deemed improper for young girls, Madame Bovary comes to mind (though the moral at the end is quite conservative). I haven't read Catcher in the Rye but I heard teens were not allowed to read it either. Parents are ultimately responsible for what their children see/read.
Catcher in the Rye was never banned across the board; it was done by individual schools.

Before online books though you could only get books from the library or book stores.
That's where books got filtered and if you were a kid you were not buying/checking out "The Graduate"

Libraries enforced kids section/adult section and your library card had a different color.
I don't remember too much about bookstores though but I was an avid reader and checked out the max from the library every week.

(I actually snuck into the adult section and read "The Graduate" right there in the library so even then they couldn't stop what they wanted to stop)

Old Today, 06:41 PM

10,089 posts, read 4,722,886 times
All reality shows are scripted lies anyway. Nothing real about them.

Old Today, 07:06 PM

5,775 posts, read 7,624,331 times
What the hell is the problem with same sex couples being on tv?
Wheel of fortune has been doing it for years.

Bob.

Old Today, 07:10 PM

971 posts, read 1,797,424 times
OP - you are a prude. If you don't like it, move on. Seriously, some people need to just mind their own darn business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or