U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 06:05 PM

13,023 posts, read 4,014,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You know the truth, as well as I do. We Americans are too good to take the jobs that legal, and illegal, immigrants will gladly take. Call it un-American if you wish, but it is the truth. And, contrary to your list, they are not taking Dr, Lawyer, etc jobs......they are digging ditches, cutting grass, working as help in restaurants, and other menial labor positions.

There is a reason so many American companies hire them, they know these folks show up every day, work hard, never complain, and are capable of heavy, manual labor. No one is stopping you from taking one of these jobs, but you and I both know neither of us would work that hard or for that low of a paycheck.

I work, and I see how American workers (especially younger workers) find every excuse not to show up for work, and when they do come, they spend half their day bent over their cell phone.
Well I don't agree. It's still illegal to hire them. And even if I agreed we need illegals to do manual labor jobs, why do we need birthright citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 06:11 PM

9,166 posts, read 2,598,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Spare me. My Dad was in Africa in WW2. I heard it all about it.
LOL You heard all about it? Yeah I can see how that makes someone qualified to discuss it. haha

Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 PM

35,865 posts, read 32,561,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I lived in Naples for 10 years. How many lily white Americans what to pick tomatoes or get up on a South Florida roof when the Heat Indexes are over 100 degrees?

Damn, I could not take 45 minutes of being out in the Noon day sun for Recess with little kids.
Who do you think did these jobs before say, 1977? Who were roofers, carpenters and meat packers? That would be your parents, American ones.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:40 PM

7,592 posts, read 8,800,007 times
Nothing is stopping young US citizens from going into trades and labor jobs. They need to learn how to do their trade of course, and they'll be paid what the company is willing to pay them, but if they want to install roofs, pick crops in the fields, dig trenches and other construction-related tasks and all the other jobs that are being "stolen" from citizens, they have to get off their duffs, get some training, and apply. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 PM

31,515 posts, read 13,929,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Nothing is stopping young US citizens from going into trades and labor jobs. They need to learn how to do their trade of course, and they'll be paid what the company is willing to pay them, but if they want to install roofs, pick crops in the fields, dig trenches and other construction-related tasks and all the other jobs that are being "stolen" from citizens, they have to get off their duffs, get some training, and apply. It's as simple and as complicated as that.
Somehow I don't think there will be a big line of applicants for learning how to pick strawberries

Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 PM

13,023 posts, read 4,014,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Except the 30 million illegals here and depressed pay and oversupply of labor.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 PM

18,018 posts, read 11,408,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Who do you think did these jobs before say, 1977? Who were roofers, carpenters and meat packers? That would be your parents, American ones.

No one is stopping you from going out and becoming a roofer, carpenter, or meat packer. How about a cushy job picking fruit and vegetables all day, in August heat ? How about taking a job cleaning hotel and motel rooms ?

There are still tons of opportunities out there for "Americans", why are they not knocking down the doors to take those jobs. Hint: Because we are too lazy.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 PM

7,592 posts, read 8,800,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
B.S. Those are excuses. Someone with the wherewithal to learn can compete for those jobs.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 PM

31,515 posts, read 13,929,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
thirty million...uh huh. Citizens never wanted to do those jobs, hence the demand for immigrant labor, and citizens won't do them in the future, most of them are too out of shape to do farm or construction labor, or they need a steady job, not 10 weeks of harvesting a crop then a 4 week break, drive a thousand miles and harvest another crop.

Here you go, this is an interesting read.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...high-schoolers

Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM

37,606 posts, read 16,646,406 times
Since when haven't American always done blue-collared jobs such as landscaping, hotel, restaurant work, construction, roofing, road work, etc that require working in the hot sun all day for a fair wage? SINCE WHEN???? What a bunch of BS!!!! Those job were taken by illegal aliens that were already held by Americans because they work cheaper and make the rich, richer. How clueless can one be? An English speaking American can't even get a job in construction unless they speak Spanish to communicate with these illegal aliens and are willing to work for slave labor wages.

We didn't get to be the most successful country on the planet by our own citizens being too lazy to do those jobs! I get so sick of those who have ethnic ties to illegal aliens that lie their a**es off in defense of illegal aliens. It's racism with a tribal mentality and just plain anti-American! I wish we could deport them along with their illegal amigos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or