U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 08:18 AM

27,126 posts, read 11,388,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"We're looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby - congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen. ... It's frankly ridiculous," Trump told reporters outside the White House.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...hip/ar-AAG7LHl

I so agree with him, however I don't think he can do that on his own. It needs to be brought up before the Supreme Court as birthright citizenship was never intended for babies born from illegal aliens on our soil.
No one should profit off of an illegal act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 AM

27,606 posts, read 19,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There's no excuse for anyone not wanting to end birthright citizenship for illegals.
only a leftist could be fine with planeloads of rich chinese and russians flying in to have their kids in the US to take advantage of our current idiotic laws.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM

17,504 posts, read 8,849,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
only a leftist could be fine with planeloads of rich chinese and russians flying in to have their kids in the US to take advantage of our current idiotic laws.
The left only boo hoo’s when a handful of Russians did it,.. they did a special on it. Nevermind the millions of 3rd worlders doing it

Old 08-22-2019, 08:34 AM

46,872 posts, read 34,477,334 times
I have no issue with eliminating birthright citizenship. Having said this, there is no reasonable way to apply this retroactively.

I am a baby boomer and cannot easily prove I am not an anchor baby. My parents were not required to prove their citizenship at the time of my birth and my birth certificate does not contain any information about their citizenship. I am not concerned.

Birth certificates, like death certificates are issued by counties and there is no standard in the US.

Neither my husband or I was asked about citizenship when I delivered in US hospitals.

I am not a self- proclaimed armchair constitutional scholar. What I do know is that the US Federal and State governments have long accepted US birth certificates as proof of citizenship.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 AM

9,901 posts, read 2,431,150 times
Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

He can seriously look at whatever he wants (of course he will have someone else 'seriously' look, it cuts into his 'executive' time )

He can't do that by himself. He acts like he still does not understand the presidency.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 AM

40,750 posts, read 40,325,264 times
He should, it's outlived it's purpose.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM

67,020 posts, read 30,716,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no issue with eliminating birthright citizenship. Having said this, there is no reasonable way to apply this retroactively.

I am a baby boomer and cannot easily prove I am not an anchor baby. My parents were not required to prove their citizenship at the time of my birth and my birth certificate does not contain any information about their citizenship. I am not concerned.

Birth certificates, like death certificates are issued by counties and there is no standard in the US.

Neither my husband or I was asked about citizenship when I delivered in US hospitals.

I am not a self- proclaimed armchair constitutional scholar. What I do know is that the US Federal and State governments have long accepted US birth certificates as proof of citizenship.
Not really. Read my post with the historic and legal precedents. It's a fairly recent bastardization of the 14th Amendment.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 AM

9,224 posts, read 8,079,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Why doesn't he just issue an executive order? Then let the leftist fight him at the Supreme Court.

Because this issue doesn't fall under the purview of the Executive Branch.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 AM

6,589 posts, read 3,663,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nah. United States vs. Wong Kim Ark establishes birthright citizenship as the law of the land.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:38 AM

6,589 posts, read 3,663,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The difference is that Wong Kim Ark's parents were here legally when he was born.
Define "came here legally" in the late 19th Century. Obviously, they did not walk across the border from China. Did they get a "Visa" to come here? Did they apply for Permanent Residency? Nothing like that existed back in the late 19th Century. Yes, immigrants were screened back then, but if they weren't sick or dirt poor, they were considered legals.

His non-citizen parents just came to the US (however means), established a business, bought a house, and lived here for many years. They never became Naturalized Citizens. They were considered de facto permanent residents by their conduct.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/169/649

All of this is really irrelevant. Trump cannot change the Constitution by Executive Order. He has swore to uphold the Constitution as President of the United States, Issuing an Executive Order for something like this might just get him an impeachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or