Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 11:10 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Flawed logic - terribly flawed.

Why not put out said amendment and run with it?
Because your side would insure that it failed, and there are enough of you to do it, too. Then you would giggle and clap your hands and make snarky comments about winning.
That's what you have tried to do with the wall, and it didn't even require an amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Because your side would insure that it failed, and there are enough of you to do it, too. Then you would giggle and clap your hands and make snarky comments about winning.
That's what you have tried to do with the wall, and it didn't even require an amendment.
Ah, you seem to know me well....

So what you are saying is that you don't care about the Amendment process...you'd rather somehow make it happen without that nasty constitution???

Expected, of course. Everyone knows that the Right talking about "activist judges" was simply a way for them to make way for their own doing it.

Hey, be my guest. Do you really think I care about birthright citizenship? I mean, I really don't. Whatever the rules are, I am fine with them.

But many of your "activist judges" things will backfire on you - Citizens United for one. It was assumed when passed by the Activist Conservative POTUS Appointment Committee that only Republicans are filthy rich. Now we know that's not the case. When the liberal and reasonable Billionaires use it to "win", you will be crying Wolf. In fact, your "side" is already doing that (see: Google and stuff).....

Old 08-22-2019, 11:35 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Is this before or after he buys Greenland?
Maybe he should build a wall and end birthright citizenship for people living in Greenland so he can accomplish a few plans at once.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Maybe he should build a wall and end birthright citizenship for people living in Greenland so he can accomplish a few plans at once.
King of Debt
King of Tariffs
King of Real Estate
King of Israel
and now King of all Mankind

Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You should of bolded and subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

Under the common law where wording is assumed to derive from that means only having allegiance to US and not a foreign jurisdiction. This is why the citizenship clause didn't include Indians.
Exactly.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Would that make them "activist jurors who legislate from the bench?"l
No, that would make them Constitutionalists.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Talking Yeah, but...

Quote:
Is it coming before or after he finishes the wall, buys denmark, shuts down the mexican border and has cheaper and better health care for all?

Because I think some of the things above have a higher priority for most....
Well, tRump himself is an anchor baby.

Look at it like this.

tRump's own 4 anchor babies (born from immigrants) will be safe. And he's completed the chain migration of his foreign wives' families.

So, it only became a problem recently.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:13 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,288 times
Quote:
King of Debt
King of Tariffs
King of Real Estate
King of Israel
and now King of all Mankind

King of living in your mind.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Well, tRump himself is an anchor baby.
No, he isn't. His mother became a naturalized US citizen before he was born.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, that would make them Constitutionalists.
Nah, they'd have to allow citizens to own cannons....and limit arms to single shot non-cartridge....to be strict.

You don't seem to understand the very basics here. What could possibly make you think that people like myself don't object to the current Birthright situations?

I can state flatly that I do. However, it may not be for the same exact reasons as you do - but probably similar. I don't want those Russians in Trump Sunny Isles being able to infiltrate us by dropping babies here...nor do I want a simply tourist or someone who comes because they have a preg. problem and need medical attention.

But there are two caveats here. First is that when Righties go about it in a hateful..instead of a reasoned...way, it turns off all the people who might be interested in actual legislation.

Secondly, which relates to the first point, we have MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS that are costing us trillions and trillions.....

I guess that's the old "AFTER the cheaper better medical care for all when 40% of Americans aren't behind the either ball, let's talk".

Trump and his cultists are all talk and screaming. But they don't care about decency. The fact that 80% of Americans want better background checks doesn't phase them. The fact that 40% can't make it....just a crumb. BUT, the WALL and BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP...those need the SCOTUS to act now???

It's really not going to happen that way. It's the perfect definition of authoritarianism....we'll just issue an edict and be done with it!

I don't think things work that way. Precedent matters...even to the SCOTUS. They aren't going to overturn BirthRight Citizenship in any meaningful way. If a certain case gets to them about individual X (maybe born on an airliner when in US Air Space), they will rule on that. It will not change the law or norms.

The problem with Righties is they know in their heart that the Constitution needs updating...they say it in so many ways. But the pesky fact that Amendments are hard to do grates at them. Other Americans, who follow the law and politics, know that it needs updated and fine tuned and would love to do it....in the proper fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies