Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 10:50 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,160,833 times

Advertisements

The United States is one of the only countries in the world that has birthright citizenship. Just being in the country at your time of birth shouldn't be reason enough to be made a citizen. It's actually a terrible and ridiculous practice that should be ended immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:52 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,396,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Why doesn't he just issue an executive order? Then let the leftist fight him at the Supreme Court.
Exactly. That's how to do it and fast track it to the USSC

Old 08-22-2019, 10:55 AM

17,720 posts, read 13,432,092 times
Why isn’t he looking into chain Migration? Oh never mind we know why.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,978,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
It needs to be ended. When interpreting the Constitution, we must look at what the intent was when written. In the case of the 14th Amendment, it's pretty obvious, it was adopted to extend citizenship to slaves and their descendants, not anyone who can walk across the border and drop an anchor baby.

We need a test case to be brought ultimately before the SCOTUS for the current interpretation to be changed, however.
Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
Nope. Pretty straight forward. Bolded for the simple minds, focus on that.

trump can’t do anything about it. Just more showing his “genius”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The United States is one of the only countries in the world that has birthright citizenship. Just being in the country at your time of birth shouldn't be reason enough to be made a citizen. It's actually a terrible and ridiculous practice that should be ended immediately.
Regardless, that would require a constitutional amendment.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,805,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no issue with eliminating birthright citizenship. Having said this, there is no reasonable way to apply this retroactively.
Who said it has to be applied retroactively?

Quote:
I am a baby boomer and cannot easily prove I am not an anchor baby. My parents were not required to prove their citizenship at the time of my birth and my birth certificate does not contain any information about their citizenship. I am not concerned.

Birth certificates, like death certificates are issued by counties and there is no standard in the US.

Neither my husband or I was asked about citizenship when I delivered in US hospitals.

I am not a self- proclaimed armchair constitutional scholar. What I do know is that the US Federal and State governments have long accepted US birth certificates as proof of citizenship.
It's easy to prove for someone like a baby boomer or even someone younger they are not an anchor baby. Just show one of your parents or possibly a grandparent was born here or in the country before about 1924, then they are not an illegal and you are not an anchor baby.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,969,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why isn’t he looking into chain Migration? Oh never mind we know why.
you don't 'know why', because it's something you just made up

What is 'chain migration' and why does President Trump want to end it? | USA Today

Old 08-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Because this issue doesn't fall under the purview of the Executive Branch.
The executive branch issues birth certificate. Executive order could direct going forward to issue a non-citizen birth certificate if unless and until at least one parent can provide documentation, a birth certificate or green card, they are in the country legally.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,208,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The executive branch issues birth certificate. Executive order could direct going forward to issue a non-citizen birth certificate if unless and until at least one parent can provide documentation, a birth certificate or green card, they are in the country legally.
Individual States are responsible for registering births. Not the Feds.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Nope. Pretty straight forward. Bolded for the simple minds, focus on that.

trump can’t do anything about it. Just more showing his “genius”

Regardless, that would require a constitutional amendment.

Good luck.
You should of bolded and subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

Under the common law where wording is assumed to derive from that means only having allegiance to US and not a foreign jurisdiction. This is why the citizenship clause didn't include Indians.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,368,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
So, screw the constitution. Got it.

nope... actually FOLLOW the constitution

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they
•14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

illegal aliens are NOT subject to the jurisdiction thereof, and therefore their babies are born unto illegals who are NOT subject to the jurisdiction...therefore the babies too are...illegal

if your loyalty and subject to the jurisdiction to ANOTHER country... ie you are a citizen of another country, and here illegally....then your kids are citizens of the other country of which you are a member....

sorry, but you don't reward an illegal action
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies