U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 PM

23,861 posts, read 12,569,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But the recession has yet to materialize and the media keeps repeating the same thing over and over the last 5 years while the stock market keeps riding new highs even after a few correction on the way.

The same media keeps saying the tariffs will bring our economy to its knees but consumer sentiments and spending still very high. The tariffs has been nothing but a bluff to get China to the bargaining tables.

Unemployment at 48 year lows sitting at 3.8%

The media really out of touch with this country.

I remember in 2016 this woman at work says she's dumping all the stocks in her portfolio now that Trump is president that he'll start the recession in this country. If she didn't sell and bought like I did. She would've made out huge.
The media is reporting on the information providing by economic indicators this country has used for years and years and years.

For you folks that are Trump fans, suddenly you think they are making this stuff up and that they are making up historical evidence that has shown that these indicators reacted in a similar fashion just before we had recessions before.

Nobody has said there is a recession.
Nobody has said there is going to be one.
Media has reported that factors -- like the bond yield curve -- are showing sumptoms that have historically been present before a recession.

And yes unemployment is low because we have had almost 10 years of positive job growth. Trump was fortunate to inherit a positive job growth market....and he hasn't lost it YET.....but it will happen. And the guessing game is when.

It is important that while you hurl accusations -- you rethink your bias and look at the information that you are using to come to your conclusions.

Even Trump and his admin are concerned about a recession and that's why they are considering payroll tax cuts, capital gains tax cuts and the reason the tariffs were postponed/delayed........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:07 PM

981 posts, read 1,800,773 times
Could just as well have been titled "Right-wing media continues to pretend everything is OK with the economy, ignoring leading indicators that the economy is heading into stormy waters". Reality is that the economy is only working well for a small portion of the population. What amazes me is the Trumpers at rallies who gormlessly applaud and whoop every time Donny trots out his "economy is great, best ever" lie, even though it is very doubtful any of them are on the receiving end of the benefits he espouses.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 PM

4,453 posts, read 5,644,420 times
I had a meeting with my financial adviser yesterday, who reviewed the indicators for recession with me and stated that we should be ready for a recession within 18 months. The indicators do not mean that recession is around the corner or inevitable. But, depending on who you talk to, it seems likely. This could be altered, either for the better or for the worse, by what happens to the global economy, and especially by what Trump does. But Trump's policies have taken some global headwinds and turned them into a gale of winds blowing toward recession. His statement that there will be no recession because we are all rich applies only to his cronies. The rich often do not suffer at all in a recession, or if they drop a few million, it isn't enough of a percentage to matter to them.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 PM

6,011 posts, read 4,604,518 times
They’re hoping to scare people into not spending any money. Just the latest attempt to get rid of him after the others have failed.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM

7,665 posts, read 2,734,149 times
I guess we should chalk up economics as another science the right does not believe in.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:25 PM

9,438 posts, read 4,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I guess we should chalk up economics as another science the right does not believe in.
Only when they are in power. They denied the Bush 2008 recession all the way until Lehman Brothers, when at that point they couldn't say the economy was fine anymore.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 PM

30,715 posts, read 20,278,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Conservatives have to make everything into a conspiracy in which they are the victims of the big bad evil liberals.

I agree on one thing. We all are going to have to suffer, possibly worse than in 2008-2012. However, it's not the fault of the liberal media or even circumstances. This is 100% the fault of Donald Trump.
OK, so not only is there an imaginary recession but it's worse than 2009 and it's definitely 100% Trump's fault, even if it doesn't really exist.

"Conservatives have to make everything into a conspiracy in which they are the victims of the big bad evil liberals."

Russia ring a bell?

Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 PM

13,092 posts, read 10,133,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But the recession has yet to materialize and the media keeps repeating the same thing over and over the last 5 years while the stock market keeps riding new highs even after a few correction on the way.

The same media keeps saying the tariffs will bring our economy to its knees but consumer sentiments and spending still very high. The tariffs has been nothing but a bluff to get China to the bargaining tables.

Unemployment at 48 year lows sitting at 3.8%

The media really out of touch with this country.

I remember in 2016 this woman at work says she's dumping all the stocks in her portfolio now that Trump is president that he'll start the recession in this country. If she didn't sell and bought like I did. She would've made out huge.
You know that policy effect does not materialize over night, right?

Old 08-21-2019, 07:50 PM

21,384 posts, read 10,320,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I had a meeting with my financial adviser yesterday, who reviewed the indicators for recession with me and stated that we should be ready for a recession within 18 months. The indicators do not mean that recession is around the corner or inevitable. But, depending on who you talk to, it seems likely. This could be altered, either for the better or for the worse, by what happens to the global economy, and especially by what Trump does. But Trump's policies have taken some global headwinds and turned them into a gale of winds blowing toward recession. His statement that there will be no recession because we are all rich applies only to his cronies. The rich often do not suffer at all in a recession, or if they drop a few million, it isn't enough of a percentage to matter to them.
Mine is saying the same, and just because it seems inevitable doesn't mean it's going to be as bad as recent recessions.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 PM

551 posts, read 104,444 times
They can try and spin it however they want, but the truth is that it’s an amazing time to be living in this country. The consumer is strong and numbers don’t lie

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bar...ok-51566390970
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies