U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 PM

1,659 posts, read 332,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Only when they are in power. They denied the Bush 2008 recession all the way until Lehman Brothers, when at that point they couldn't say the economy was fine anymore.

Well they all had egg on their face in 2007/8..."we never saw it coming".
So now they are shouting it from the heavens.

We're not in a bad position yet. Italy and then Germany should be watched.
Any recessions now are global..the countries are too intertwined via globalism.

And the US tends to be the safe haven during recessions as foreign investors flock to Treasuries.

The last thing anyone should do is sell. Those that did in 2007-8 never recovered.
The stock market always comes back..always as history indicates.

If anything be the bull in the bear market and pick up some good investment buys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 PM

19,148 posts, read 9,872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But the recession has yet to materialize and the media keeps repeating the same thing over and over the last 5 years while the stock market keeps riding new highs even after a few correction on the way.

The same media keeps saying the tariffs will bring our economy to its knees but consumer sentiments and spending still very high. The tariffs has been nothing but a bluff to get China to the bargaining tables.

Unemployment at 48 year lows sitting at 3.8%

The media really out of touch with this country.

I remember in 2016 this woman at work says she's dumping all the stocks in her portfolio now that Trump is president that he'll start the recession in this country. If she didn't sell and bought like I did. She would've made out huge.
Liberals that don't believe in prayer are praying for a massive depresssion.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:12 AM

1,406 posts, read 346,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They are pushing a self fulfilling prophecy in hopes that it will happen and they can blame Trump.

And at the expense of all of us. IMHO politics is getting more corrupt each year.
This. Its 2004 again.

In the face of record high approval the Dems had no platform other than convince everyone the economy was tanked and Iraq was an unwinnable shameful quagmire.
Right when the Iraqis were working with us to rebuild their country, out comes Joe Wilson with a fabricated story that Cheney was given an answer on WMD that he didnt get BECAUSE of Wilson and his wifes meddling, the media ran it as fact every hour on the hour for a month. Iraqis were glued to their new satellite dish connected TVs and the insurgency was soon in full swing with pissed off militants killing the surrogates of George W. Bush. AKA American service men and women.
Thousands of additional military personnel would die or be injured just so John Kerry could say "I would have done exactly what Bush did. Only Id have done it RIGHT!"
How he would have lined up and shot all the democrats before they ruined policy for political capital Im not sure. That would have done it right.
(I invite anyone to defend Joe Wilson or Valerie Plame. Some lefties only know the beginning of their story not the shameful end. Theres a reason they vanished from public life.)

Old Today, 10:24 AM

9,351 posts, read 2,856,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But the recession has yet to materialize and the media keeps repeating the same thing over and over the last 5 years while the stock market keeps riding new highs even after a few correction on the way.

The same media keeps saying the tariffs will bring our economy to its knees but consumer sentiments and spending still very high. The tariffs has been nothing but a bluff to get China to the bargaining tables.

Unemployment at 48 year lows sitting at 3.8%

The media really out of touch with this country.

I remember in 2016 this woman at work says she's dumping all the stocks in her portfolio now that Trump is president that he'll start the recession in this country. If she didn't sell and bought like I did. She would've made out huge.
The OP - along with the others here who have complained about all the media talk about recession - does not understand 2 things:

1. The media is not talking about a recession without reason. If you search the news for "inverted yield curve" and then read about what an inverted yield curve portends, you might understand why the media is suddenly talking so much about a recession.
2. That economic data right now looks good is meaningless. Just prior to every recession everybody and his kid brother thought things were going great. A recession is when good numbers start turning bad. Just before they turn bad, they still look good. That can happen in a matter of months.

Some reading here:

How's That Recession Coming?
Quote:

My, how the mighty have fallen! Only ten months ago, the 30-year was trading at 3.46%. Now it's below the Fed's bottom target interest rate, scraping along at 1.97%. What is exceptional, then, is how extreme the inversion is because the 3-month-over-30-year curve has inverted at the lowest interest rates ever. Ten months ago, the Fed was trying to raise interest rates. Since then rates fell off a cliff with the Fed doing nothing to lower them. It merely stopped trying to raise them. This is where the market has taken them on its own. Does that sound like the Fed is in control of anything?

One more thing that is different this time? For the first time ever, the entire US treasury yield curve is inverted.

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uplo...ad_bfm1575.jpg

Old Today, 10:31 AM

208 posts, read 44,443 times
Liberal media!? Nope...not a partisan issue. The negative inverse yield curve is portending future recession/slowdown. Tariffs just exacerbating things and will be a long protacted battle with negative consequences for Americans.

Old Today, 10:33 AM

23,868 posts, read 12,569,324 times
Trump's public badgering of the Fed to lower rates, declaring the Chairman more of a problem than China is a way bigger red flag to American voters that the economy is headed towards a downturn/recession than the media citing that since 1955 an inverted yield curve has happened before a recession.'

Trump is playing his base. If he blames the media enough -- when the economy slows down he can blame the media -- as he predicted.

If only the media had that much power.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well they all had egg on their face in 2007/8..."we never saw it coming".
So now they are shouting it from the heavens.

We're not in a bad position yet. Italy and then Germany should be watched.
Any recessions now are global..the countries are too intertwined via globalism.

And the US tends to be the safe haven during recessions as foreign investors flock to Treasuries.

The last thing anyone should do is sell. Those that did in 2007-8 never recovered.
The stock market always comes back..always as history indicates.

If anything be the bull in the bear market and pick up some good investment buys.
But is the concern JUST about the stock market.'

WE all know it can crash and will come back...

ARen't there other concerns with a downturn.....especially for Trump next year.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

46,549 posts, read 18,414,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The OP - along with the others here who have complained about all the media talk about recession - does not understand 2 things:

1. The media is not talking about a recession without reason. If you search the news for "inverted yield curve" and then read about what an inverted yield curve portends, you might understand why the media is suddenly talking so much about a recession.
2. That economic data right now looks good is meaningless. Just prior to every recession everybody and his kid brother thought things were going great. A recession is when good numbers start turning bad. Just before they turn bad, they still look good. That can happen in a matter of months.
Hahahahahaha

What a silly argument. i.e. "The media is smarter than you. I'm smarter than you. They say recession, so there will be a Recession".

The media and you also told us for 2 years about Russian Bogymen too. You've got no credibility.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

46,549 posts, read 18,414,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump's public badgering of the Fed to lower rates, declaring the Chairman more of a problem than China is a way bigger red flag to American voters that the economy is headed towards a downturn/recession than the media citing that since 1955 an inverted yield curve has happened before a recession.'

Trump is playing his base. If he blames the media enough -- when the economy slows down he can blame the media -- as he predicted.

If only the media had that much power.
i.e. "Anyone who doesn't believe me is a Deplorable"

You guys are like a damned broken record.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e. "Anyone who doesn't believe me is a Deplorable"

You guys are like a damned broken record.
Nothing in the post I cited refers to anything about a deplorable or anyone not 'believing' me.

You don't think that Trump badgering the Fed to lower rates is an indicator that this administration is worried about a downturn?

Instead of your emotional attack on folks that don't think like you -- provide some substantive discussion on economic indicators or why you don't think that Trump screaming for lower rates shows a concern of where the economy is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies