U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 315,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I could also vote for Gabbard, Pete is just a very smart but also transparent politician. I won't vote for him.
Problem is that the MSM is giving attention to Sanders, Harris, Warren and then Biden.
I don't think the majority want a progressive and that leaves Biden in the spotlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM

359 posts, read 38,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Problem is that the MSM is giving attention to Sanders, Harris, Warren and then Biden.
I don't think the majority want a progressive and that leaves Biden in the spotlight.
I personally think Harris or Pete will win. Biden is a senile old man. It's painfully obvious. He also makes Hillary look charismatic. He started this race with a gigantic lead due to being Obama's VP but he has been losing ground. I would put my house on Harris. Of course I'd never vote for her.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

9,315 posts, read 2,844,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Isn't it funny when the Trump fans like polls when it tells them something they want to hear, but when it doesn't they scream, "Polls? That's what they said in 2016!"

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 4,274,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
I wouldn’t say the county is turning more red, the country is very divided but the electoral map is most favorable at the moment for the GOP. With the electoral college, the only states that really matter in he election are Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona and the democrats will probably only win two or three of them at best. Donald Trump’s 216 campaign where he made trade and America first a central issue of his campaign was brilliant, because it gave him a fighting chance in the election to spur and rally independent and republicans voters in these states to turn out for him and put states originally thought to be favored towards the democrats in play such as PA, Mi, and Wisconsin.

I think they will take back Michigan and maybe Wisconsin, but it’s PA that will probably decide the election. Whoever wins and gets support in Pennsylvania will get the White House.

I think we well see a very close election from the electoral standpoint regardless of the democrats retaining popular vote which doesn’t mean anything. In our system. Those polls might be accurate, but you have to remember these polls are done with popular vote in mind, not electoral college which is what matters.

I’m predicting 260 GOP to 258 on the map with Wisconsin and Michigan reverting back but Pennsylvania being the wildcard. I think Florida, Arizona will be close but possible GOP lean
. The election will Not be a landslide for either party.

Either way this will be one of he closest elections in U.S history and most critical.
It will come down to a couple states and a few thousand voters. All eyes on Pennsylvania
I think this scenario is close to how it will play out but I think the Democrats will get a boost from a higher youth turnout combined with a baby boomer generation that has declined in numbers since 2016. All three blue wall states will probably go back to the Dems. Trump will probably keep Florida but lose North Carolina. Arizona could easily go to the Dems. Georgia will be close. Younger voters aren't as concerned with "traditional values" and support a lot of what the left wants to implement. Stuff like healthcare for all, a livable wage, legal marijuana, bodily autonomy for women, a clean environment, college loan forgiveness, LGBT rights, separation of church and state, etc. The Dems may lose some voters on the immigration issue but immigration isn't the top issue for everyone. He's angered about every minority demographic in this country so I'm sure there will be highly energized turnout among non-WASP voters. That plus a higher youth turnout will be a problem for Trump. Young people didn't vote in 2016 like they did for Obama.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think this scenario is close to how it will play out but I think the Democrats will get a boost from a higher youth turnout combined with a baby boomer generation that has declined in numbers since 2016. All three blue wall states will probably go back to the Dems. Trump will probably keep Florida but lose North Carolina. Arizona could easily go to the Dems. Georgia will be close. Younger voters aren't as concerned with "traditional values" and support a lot of what the left wants to implement. Stuff like healthcare for all, a livable wage, legal marijuana, college loan forgiveness, LGBT rights, separation of church and state, etc. The Dems may lose some voters on the immigration issue but immigration isn't the top issue for everyone. He's angered about every minority demographic in this country so I'm sure there will be highly energized turnout among non-WASP voters. That plus a higher youth turnout will be a problem for Trump. Young people didn't vote in 2016 like they did for Obama.
I'm from Michigan. I can tell you why Michigan was going for Democrats all along - White blue-collar workers like me - didn't like the Republican pro-Business, anti-Union platform. But now that the Democratic party is anti-White, we're forced to vote between our racial interests vs our economic interests. I personally cannot vote for a party that talks down to me as a White man and tries to lecture me where my "place is."

So no, I don't think Michigan will be an easy shoe in for the Democrats as it once was. A lot of us wisened up and hate your guts.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM

19,110 posts, read 9,850,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
So we can say that 62%of Americans are intelligent...sounds about right.

Old Today, 12:20 AM

89 posts, read 75,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I'm from Michigan. I can tell you why Michigan was going for Democrats all along - White blue-collar workers like me - didn't like the Republican pro-Business, anti-Union platform. But now that the Democratic party is anti-White, we're forced to vote between our racial interests vs our economic interests. I personally cannot vote for a party that talks down to me as a White man and tries to lecture me where my "place is."

So no, I don't think Michigan will be an easy shoe in for the Democrats as it once was. A lot of us wisened up and hate your guts.
Im from New York, and I can tell you, what you describe sounds like Upstate NY syndrome, which is, democrats being in power and you not feeling like they have delivered (and they haven't), and not putting youre concerns first, and as a result you have Trumpism.

You'd be hard pressed to drive around WNY and not see a Donald Trump poster, even in many of the inner ring suburbs....In Western NY, there is a very strong resentment for democrats here due to upstate and WNY having no voice. I mean NYC has the majority of the population of the state though, and therefore they control our political fates....so be it, it is what it is, but if you live outside of NYC in NY, you have zero voice.

Michigan, I didn't feel like the resentment was on that level when I was there a year ago, but it's stronger than it has been in recent years, but I still think it's a blue-lean state. But you have to give it up to Trump for a brilliant campaign, he attacked issues of trade, and putting america first, and that appealed to him.

For me personally, as an independent, I never could see the appeal to vote for a Trump only because I see him for what he is: a man with a large appetitie for the spotlight and power.

The people who hate him have a huge misconception of him. I don't think he is a racist, he's definetly not christian, not pro-life, has no real moral what so ever, and definetly not PC. But if it puts him in a position of power, he will pander to the bases like every other politician. You can be an outsider, but once your an outsider who gets on the inside, you're like everyone else. Trump would be a democrat who supports transgender rights, green energy, and universial health care if he felt that would get him to the white house, but the DNC would never let him get near the white house if he ran as a democrat.

One thing he does well is he is a brilliant self-marketer and brander who uses a lot of professional wrestling and boxing promo tricks. The smallest phrases like "build the wall", "MAGA", "america first", "drain the swamp", "lock her up"....the little things stick with people, and he's brilliant at delivering them to get his base to hear. And then there is the basis of him running? Why would a billionaire businessman be a good president? The Trump selling point: because he already has money, he will work for us.

But the reality is, men who money always want more, and when you have all the money in the world, the only thing left to get is power, which he has now. Trump will never be richer than a Jeff Bezos, but he certainly can't say he's the most powerful man in the world and in an elite class of history of 45 men. So for me personally, I always saw him as a person who only has his own interests first, just like every politician.

I don't the Democratic party became necessairly anti-white, but not a party of action....a party that delivers the big promises that never come to fruition, that say they will fight for the working man but never do.

I will vote for the best overall candidate regardless of party and who I feel will do the best for the country, but I can see why many can and have supported Trump.

Old Today, 12:33 AM

39,803 posts, read 48,190,294 times
I predict Trump in 2020 will be committed to the asylum for PPS, psychedelic psychotic syndrome.

Old Today, 12:43 AM

5,147 posts, read 5,118,389 times
The guy shows clear signs of senility poorly disguised by general nastiness of his persona, he'll be a mess by the time he'll reach 80 y.o. It is not a big deal for the trumpists as long as he remember to use dog whistles they like.

Old Today, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
Im from New York, and I can tell you, what you describe sounds like Upstate NY syndrome, which is, democrats being in power and you not feeling like they have delivered (and they haven't), and not putting youre concerns first, and as a result you have Trumpism.

You'd be hard pressed to drive around WNY and not see a Donald Trump poster, even in many of the inner ring suburbs....In Western NY, there is a very strong resentment for democrats here due to upstate and WNY having no voice. I mean NYC has the majority of the population of the state though, and therefore they control our political fates....so be it, it is what it is, but if you live outside of NYC in NY, you have zero voice.

Michigan, I didn't feel like the resentment was on that level when I was there a year ago, but it's stronger than it has been in recent years, but I still think it's a blue-lean state. But you have to give it up to Trump for a brilliant campaign, he attacked issues of trade, and putting america first, and that appealed to him.

For me personally, as an independent, I never could see the appeal to vote for a Trump only because I see him for what he is: a man with a large appetitie for the spotlight and power.

The people who hate him have a huge misconception of him. I don't think he is a racist, he's definetly not christian, not pro-life, has no real moral what so ever, and definetly not PC. But if it puts him in a position of power, he will pander to the bases like every other politician. You can be an outsider, but once your an outsider who gets on the inside, you're like everyone else. Trump would be a democrat who supports transgender rights, green energy, and universial health care if he felt that would get him to the white house, but the DNC would never let him get near the white house if he ran as a democrat.

One thing he does well is he is a brilliant self-marketer and brander who uses a lot of professional wrestling and boxing promo tricks. The smallest phrases like "build the wall", "MAGA", "america first", "drain the swamp", "lock her up"....the little things stick with people, and he's brilliant at delivering them to get his base to hear. And then there is the basis of him running? Why would a billionaire businessman be a good president? The Trump selling point: because he already has money, he will work for us.

But the reality is, men who money always want more, and when you have all the money in the world, the only thing left to get is power, which he has now. Trump will never be richer than a Jeff Bezos, but he certainly can't say he's the most powerful man in the world and in an elite class of history of 45 men. So for me personally, I always saw him as a person who only has his own interests first, just like every politician.

I don't the Democratic party became necessairly anti-white, but not a party of action....a party that delivers the big promises that never come to fruition, that say they will fight for the working man but never do.

I will vote for the best overall candidate regardless of party and who I feel will do the best for the country, but I can see why many can and have supported Trump.
WNY is part of the same area, call it the rust belt, call it great lakes. But same life, union life, working class but comfortable life. So I imagine what's happening in my old stomping grounds (Detroit, and surrounding suburbs) is happening there as well.

I have voted Democrat, or not voted, all my life until 2016. I couldn't trust a Republican as far as I could throw one, due to their promotion of big business and stomping on the little guy which is me, my family, and my friends.

But the Democratic party has changed. It changed from a party that advocated for the White working class guy - at least in their rhetoric - to one who advocates for every minority who just arrived to this country and tells us that we have "white privilege" etc etc. While this is mostly rhetoric, I understand that, it makes me and others angry at their entire platform.

Now, I cannot imagine voting for a Democratic nominee, even one like Sanders, who I'd have voted for enthusiastically prior to 2016.

Not that Trump isn't pushing things that are pro business, but at least he hasn't fully thrown us off the bus.

I no longer live in Michigan, and even in 2016 have lived in Florida where I voted for Trump my first time voting Republican. I called my friends and family back in Michigan, some of whom I haven't talked in years, to see how they voted. I was expecting, partly because the media was trying to convince us that Trump was not popular and everyone hated him, I was going to get into a lot of arguments. But everyone I called said the same thing - they voted Trump, and f*ck the Democrats. That's everyone who like me who used to vote Democrat. How do you think Michigan flipped? The White working class guy, you can spit us only so long before we start fighting back.

Michigan will be a tough one for Democrats to get back. Our cherry has been popped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or