U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM

23,253 posts, read 17,194,992 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with this.

First of all, I will state that I smoked my first cigarette at age 17, so "restrictions" didn't stop anything. I smoked about 5 cigarettes until I joined the military. There, because we weren't allowed to smoke in basic, I would bum them off of a PFC in basic who was allowed to buy them because the PX didn't realize she was in basic, and sold them to her. Us privates couldn't get away with it. Still, I only smoked about 3 the entire time in basic and AIT.

Then I got to my permanent duty station in Germany, where I was allowed to drink and I could smoke if I wanted to. So I did. Because I was rebellious, and telling me something was horrible and disgusting and so very wrong it was close to evil, well, screw all of them, I'm going to do it.

That was my choice. No one forced me into it. I chose it. I had the right to choose it. And that's how it should be.

I have quit smoking, don't even drink (never really liked it anyway even if I did get drunk a few times in Germany because I had no idea what my limit was when I got to Germany since it was so forbidden in the states - think it would have been better to learn while young, at home, with supervision instead), and even though I wish no one would pick up a smoke or drink in the first place, it's their choice when they become adults.

I'm also against marijuana, and am not fooled by all of those who pretend it's "medical marijuana". No. All of the people who smoke pot around here are not using it for medicinal purposes, nor are all of them doing that in Colorado, so spare me the bs about "medical marijuana" and how great it is. It was an open for all pot heads to smoke it.

Yet, it's a choice. I despise the stench of pot, and I want there to be extremely tough penalties for the morons who smoke it and drive their car afterwards - or while they are driving, just as I want extremely tough penalties for every dbag who drinks and drives.

Nonetheless, when you're an adult, if you want to partake in something that is bad for you, the government should not get a say. As was pointed out earlier, if I can sign up to go get blown up in some crappy country, then you damn well better not get in the way of me having a cigarette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:00 AM

28,048 posts, read 17,995,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Just don't sell cigarettes on the sidewalk in NYC regardless of your age or the age of your customers.

That's a death sentence imposed by the State and carried out on the very sidewalk you are doing business.

On the bright side I guess that's some government efficiency for us tax payers. Makes the toiling to earn it a bit easier.

Sorry, I'm off track again. Where were we?

Oh yeah, another violation of freedom of association, freedom of movement, and property rights by the GOP. Put in the pile on top of the billions of other violations.
Do you think you'd do any better selling untaxed pot on the streets of Seattle or Denver?

Old 08-22-2019, 10:01 AM

13,566 posts, read 4,671,762 times
What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

Old 08-22-2019, 10:03 AM

7,320 posts, read 5,118,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
He must care so much. Wake me up when he introduces a bill to raise the enlistment age to 21
So hurry up and enlist teens before Mitch and his minions have another bout of alturism and take away your right to go off and die or have your genitals shot off for one of their causes.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/05/...ing-age-to-21/
as you were freedom lovin GOP'ers
I'm no fan or McConnell (understatement of the year), but I think this is probably a good move. Does not have anything to do with Enlistment age, they are unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
But smoking pot is no problem to a Democrat.
AFAIK, Pot smoking age already is 21. If it isn't, I support that too. Pot should be legal to grown-ass adults.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:03 AM

5,784 posts, read 3,754,660 times
election security can wait, but teens vaping is just bad...

Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 AM

28,048 posts, read 17,995,683 times
This is just as freekin' stupid as raising the drinking age to 21. Either you're an adult, with all the rights and responsibilities of adulthood-or you're a child. If you raise the drinking and smoking age, I trust the marriage and voting age will match.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM

30,693 posts, read 17,019,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
He must care so much. Wake me up when he introduces a bill to raise the enlistment age to 21
So hurry up and enlist teens before Mitch and his minions have another bout of alturism and take away your right to go off and die or have your genitals shot off for one of their causes.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/05/...ing-age-to-21/
as you were freedom lovin GOP'ers
WoW! ^^^ This should CERTAINLY be a priority right now.

If one is old enough to go to war; they are old enough to drink and smoke.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:19 AM

1,320 posts, read 240,591 times
Bipartisan Smoking bill after years of blocking everything by McConnell.

Better read that bill carefully, I am suspicious of bipartisan bills to address issues that are not even in the TOP 5 of priorities right now. Several states already have these rules in place. These bills are the ones that get loaded with goodies for the senators.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:20 AM

26,229 posts, read 10,119,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do you think you'd do any better selling untaxed pot on the streets of Seattle or Denver?
No.

Cops are pigs the world over.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 AM

448 posts, read 136,142 times
I am sure this will work great. Certainly none of us ever drank a beer or smoked as teens, and as bad as it got pre-marital sex never, ever occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or