U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 AM

4,279 posts, read 879,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
LOL! The most biased, Far Left, untruthful publication in the U.S. "works" for you? Wow.

The Editor recently admitted that the Russia hoax didn't work, and caught them flat footed, so they are switching to "Trump is Racist" as their new strategy leading up to the election. That works for you?

I don't watch cable news, nor do I read mainstream newspaper websites, nor AP, as they are all left wing biased. There are very, very few sources out there for just factual news with no spin.
What about WSJ? I think it's an excellent paper, although the liberals won't like it because it isn't....well.....it isn't the NYT!

On cable, which you said you don't watch, I like the Brett Baier show at 6 pm. Krauthhamer was a regular guest, may he RIP, so the show has lost a notch with his absence, but it's still very good. They are all adults in the panel - it's a discussion panel - so there's no temper tantrums and meltdowns that plague CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 07:08 AM

7,355 posts, read 5,149,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Are they any news outlets left in America that you trust or do you have to get your news from certain foreign news sources to find out whatís really happening in America.
This BS Narritive to discredit the media is the problem. Of course they all have bias, that his human nature. But the lies coming out of the whitehouse, and the intention to sew distrust among the American people by this POTUS and his admin are disgusting.

This MF is tearing the USA apart. Americans need to stand up. The best solution is to vote him out in 2020 (I am not confident).

The media reports the news. It is up to you as their consumer to digest it. To separate bias, and to understand context. It is actually very rare that they get things completely wrong (but it happens).

Quit supporting the actions of this meglomaniac wannabe dictator.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:08 AM

52,946 posts, read 42,593,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Democracy Now, NPR, NYTimes, SFChronicle, CNN, and CBC.

News pieces can be cross verified with other outlets. Donít trust social media, blogs, talk radio and definitely not opinion shows masquerading as news.
The part you're missing isn't that the news is correct, but rather what news is selected to present to you and which is not.

For example, you cite CNN above and I gave up on them after over 20 years and moved to Reuters.
They've been financially suffering and moved majorly left a few years ago to try to help their market position. As such I got tired of seeing story after story after story of national news about white woman yelling n-word at neighbor in apartment complex, white woman exchanging racial slurs with Asian nail salon owner etc but then CNN decides not to make national news out of a racially motivated black serial killer from the area I live in.

Same reason why if an illegal kills 2 people robbing a gas station, it's factual, but who makes it national news and who doesn't is rather biased operation.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Those are all so liberal, and you're getting slanted news. OP asked about objective reporting.

I like WSJ.
If you canít separate opinion from news, of course you will think itís liberal. WSJ has good reporting but their editorials definitely lean to the right.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:10 AM

5,703 posts, read 2,449,372 times
I don't need articles or commentary. I'll form my own opinion. I'll scroll through headlines from AP. They are biased if you read anything about Trump but it gives me an overview.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What about WSJ? I think it's an excellent paper, although the liberals won't like it because it isn't....well.....it isn't the NYT!

On cable, which you said you don't watch, I like the Brett Baier show at 6 pm. Krauthhamer was a regular guest, may he RIP, so the show has lost a notch with his absence, but it's still very good. They are all adults in the panel - it's a discussion panel - so there's no temper tantrums and meltdowns that plague CNN.
Liberals are fine with WSJ. As another poster said: Get your news and cross-check. As I said, they are all biased, it is up to you as the consumer to put it in context. The fact that the OP expects the news to tell him what to think is the problem (goes left and right). That is your job. If you accept that, and follow reliable news sources like WSJ, NYT, WaPo and the networks, you'll have a good picture of what is going on, and you can dig in and figure out what YOU think about it and what YOU think are the solutions and best people to carry them out.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:13 AM

52,946 posts, read 42,593,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This BS Narritive to discredit the media is the problem. Of course they all have bias, that his human nature. But the lies coming out of the whitehouse, and the intention to sew distrust among the American people by this POTUS and his admin are disgusting.

This MF is tearing the USA apart. Americans need to stand up. The best solution is to vote him out in 2020 (I am not confident).

The media reports the news. It is up to you as their consumer to digest it. To separate bias, and to understand context. It is actually very rare that they get things completely wrong (but it happens).

Quit supporting the actions of this meglomaniac wannabe dictator.
You're not really helping anything with empty hyperbole about "tearing America apart" or "dictator" even if you put the wannabe in front of it.

In fact, the claims of such are pretty indicative that you've been influenced by repeated showings of teeny tiny groups of people fighting with each other or some d-bag committing mass murder etc.

Those are highly reported outliers in a country of 330+million people. America is not being torn apart, Trumps critics and opposition are more commonly found in the media than not, there is no brewing dictatorship nor is there no impending civil war.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I don't need articles or commentary. I'll form my own opinion. I'll scroll through headlines from AP. They are biased if you read anything about Trump but it gives me an overview.
Exactly!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 AM

36,391 posts, read 32,956,908 times
I have local message boards where we sort out anything I'm remotely interested in. Once you realize the bigger news channels are about on par with TMZ you'll criticize everything. They go for ratings only now. It reminds me of how CNN jumped the Shark right after Iraq war coverage.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:16 AM

9,803 posts, read 8,216,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Credible media corrects when they get it wrong.

Not so much for clickbait, unless court- ordered to do so.

I will take WSJ, NYT and WaPO any day.

Our POTUS has, thus far, made more than 10,000 misstatements / falsehoods, since taking office. Itís laughable to hear him refer to most media as fake.

Pretty much this. Your best bet, IMO, to get the "real" story is to aggregate coverage from multiple sources. I'd also include AP/Reuters, BBC, Al Jazeera USA, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or