U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 02:49 PM

21,862 posts, read 14,529,297 times

Advertisements

Donít know if it has been mentioned as Iíve not read the entire thread but China is only buying 40% of our recycling now, and they have strict guidelines now too, only certain types of plastic and steel, and it has to be separated.

The reality is that we need to start processing our own recycling and quit relying on the Chinese to do it. It may cost $$, but thatís why we pay taxes, not to give defense contractors million dollar bonuses. Iím guessing Trumps trade war has impacted this entire scenario.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 02:51 PM

11,881 posts, read 2,936,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Iím guessing Trumps trade war has impacted this entire scenario.

Everything is Trump's fault

This decline has been going on for the last several years. There isn't a market for that stuff any more to make it worthwhile financially for most companies

Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 PM

21,862 posts, read 14,529,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Everything is Trump's fault

This decline has been going on for the last several years. There isn't a market for that stuff any more to make it worthwhile financially for most companies
Thatís largely because we sold it all to China.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 PM

996 posts, read 1,147,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
But we all know that non-English speaking illegals dominate construction, landscaping and various other jobs. This puts pressure on all sorts of labor jobs that are reasonable substitutes and thus does put downward pressure on wages.

So we have illegals driving down wages, and increasing the cost of housing (again-per my prior post here there was a 1.8 million unit shortage in housing and an estimated 3 million illegals). Then add in the $9 billion in free healthcare they just gave them, plus assisted living food stamps and all the free free free the dems keep giving them, and that amounts to a huge tax bill, increased housing costs, AND lower wages for the legal working Californian. And it amazes me that they still vote blue.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:27 PM

1,874 posts, read 375,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
So we have illegals driving down wages, and increasing the cost of housing (again-per my prior post here there was a 1.8 million unit shortage in housing and an estimated 3 million illegals). Then add in the $9 billion in free healthcare they just gave them, plus assisted living food stamps and all the free free free the dems keep giving them, and that amounts to a huge tax bill, increased housing costs, AND lower wages for the legal working Californian. And it amazes me that they still vote blue.
CA voters aren't the brightest bulbs in the house, that's for sure.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 PM

1,571 posts, read 454,360 times
I didnít know they all closed when I went to recycle a few days ago. Iím driving around the store lot and Iím like where did it go. A few minutes later I actually saw the dirt footprint of where the business had been. Then I went to another location and same thing. By then I had to go to work and ended up finding another place about two days later. The new place has a better setup and took less than half the time and is much better run.

I donít think minimum wage had as much to do with this decision as the fact that itís become more expensive to process all the recycling and the companies are paid less for it. Also thereís so many different types of plastic and chemicals thatís another issue. Most of the RePlanet places I went to over the years have been way understaffed with extremely long wait times. One guy is working himself to death doing it all and itís very slow. In any event I was interested in this article I saw today and it explained a lot of things I didnít know about the backside of the business.

https://apple.news/An33TwBnyS9agv3miQWKLZg

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

163 posts, read 66,058 times
There is a lot of useful information on this government website on recycling. All our local RePlant centers went out of business so I researched what we are supposed to do to recyle our cans and bottles. I came across the attached web page and even emailed the CA government. I was told that, in the future, all businesses that sold drinks in cans/bottles (except liquor) would be recycled in machines at the stores. The CA government is in the process of making this happen. Meanwhile, I put in my zip code to see where my nearest recycling center was and, to my surprise, it was located right in the town I lived in behind our local supermarket. Bringing our recyclables there was 100% easier than using RePlanet. They are open 6 days a week and you don't have the aggrevation of lunch hours, etc. like you did at RePlanet. There is a small building set up and they only weigh bottles but, at least it's something for the time being until CA gets its act together.

https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

7,639 posts, read 2,722,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
This is always the liberal lie. Whenever a liberal policy puts the final nail in the coffin for a business, the response is "they were going to fail anyway." Saw it with smoking bans and bars, seeing it with minimum wage.

Fact is that left wingers don't have the first clue as to what allows businesses to succeed. Never have, never will.
Im a democrat. Retired at 58 after founding a very successful business. What is your resume? Or lack there of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies