U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

9,530 posts, read 2,900,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Which has **** all to do with this conversation.
Sure it does. Facts matter until they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

10,586 posts, read 6,395,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Believe it or not, I started out my adult life as pro-second amendment, pro-gun. I was married to an avid outdoorsman/gun collector for 20 years. I still have an old photo of myself with a big grin on my face and holding the rifle I bought my husband as a birthday gift in the early years of our marriage. So spare me your expressions of outrage as one of those good guys with a gun.

It took 20 years of one mass shooting after another for me to re-exam my values. All I have ever seen gun enthusiasts do is to dig in their heels in regard to doing anything about gun control. You are horrified about anything faintly resembling background checks and you demand endless magazines of ammunition and semi-automatics for the "protection" of your families. My Dad was a career US Army officer and he had an officer's Colt that he kept in a drawer near his bed. My Dad was a good man and an excellent marksman and he didn't require 100 rounds of ammo and a bump stock to keep me and my Mom safe.

The NRA and the worshippers of the Second Amendment have turned gun ownership in the United States into a sort of nuclear arms race. If a shotgun is good then the availability of military assault weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo to match is better yet. The intransigence of all you "good guy" gun owners has only led to more mass shootings rather than less, so yes, I do hold gun owners accountable.

Isn't it a shame that states like Texas and Ohio have become such liberal strongholds? If only Texas were a red state than every Texan would have had a concealed semi-automatic set to go and the shooting in El Paso would never have happened.

I now live alone on a ranch in rural Colorado and I still have that old Officer's Colt that I inherited from my Dad. No arms race required.
Nice rant, really happy for you to live in a nice safe rural setting. I'm not as fortunate, i live in metro Detroit, i'll choose what i want to protect myself and my family.

The El Paso shooting was in a gun free zone...those that legally can carry, were doing what they always do, follow the law.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Sure it does. Facts matter until they don't.
Typical thought process coming from your side...

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

9,530 posts, read 2,900,716 times
Quote:
Typical thought process coming from your side...
Yeah, shame on me for pointing out that facts aren't all created equal, lol.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

4,855 posts, read 4,446,238 times
Quote:
Nice rant, really happy for you to live in a nice safe rural setting. I'm not as fortunate, i live in metro Detroit, i'll choose what i want to protect myself and my family.

The El Paso shooting was in a gun free zone...those that legally can carry, were doing what they always do, follow the law.
How fortunate for you and your family that you choose to live in a setting where you require endless rounds of ammo and assault weapons in order to feel safe.

I've lived in large urban centers and I worked hard to get away from them to "nice safe rural" western Colorado. I live in Indian Country where the mountain lions roam and the coyotes howl, and I wouldn't live anywhere else, difficult as it may sometimes be. I suppose someone has got to live in Detroit - better you than me. Buena suerte.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

5,185 posts, read 2,285,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
agreed... but to morph the one use of "sniper" to "sniper rifle" and then morph that into gun grabbers wanting to ban them is rewriting the article intentionally to troll/rant.
pretty much what I was alluding to.....

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yeah, shame on me for pointing out that facts aren't all created equal, lol.
Again, that relates to nothing here.
I will gracefully bow out. You are right, i am wrong.
I know better than to try and have a rational conversation with an over emotional irrational person. Enjoy your weekend !

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
How fortunate for you and your family that you choose to live in a setting where you require endless rounds of ammo and assault weapons in order to feel safe.

I've lived in large urban centers and I worked hard to get away from them to "nice safe rural" western Colorado. I live in Indian Country where the mountain lions roam and the coyotes howl, and I wouldn't live anywhere else, difficult as it may sometimes be. I suppose someone has got to live in Detroit - better you than me. Buena suerte.
Luck of the draw, careers have brought us here. While i don't want and can't afford an "assault rifle" , whatever that really is, we make do with some semi auto mag fed rifles, shot guns and handguns.
15 more years and we will be settled in a cabin on the lake in rural northern MI.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

4,855 posts, read 4,446,238 times
Quote:
Luck of the draw, careers have brought us here. While i don't want and can't afford an "assault rifle" , whatever that really is, we make do with some semi auto mag fed rifles, shot guns and handguns.
15 more years and we will be settled in a cabin on the lake in rural northern MI.
Well, that cabin on the lake sounds pretty sweet. Have a nice weekend.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

34,612 posts, read 18,810,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Hey, gun guys, talk to me about limiting magazines.

Been several years since I did any deer hunting, but was certainly happy with six or seven shots in the magazine.

Would you be upset if we did away with, say more than 6, shot magazines? If we did away with things like 30 or 100 shot magazines we could slow down some of the killing sprees.

Is this something with which we can agree without infringing on the rights of sportsman?

Meet Jerry Miculek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw

Yes, I understand this is all he does, but anyone can have standard magazines and with practice, can reload pretty darn fast.....and if you have a double stack....well.....that much more....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies