U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 02:03 PM

51 posts, read 9,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
The state of Washington officially defined that as an assault weapon in a law passed within the last year.

And the state legislature and people that wrote that initiative couldn't buy a clue if it was free. The combined knowledge they have of guns couldn't fill a thimble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 751 times
Whenever I see an anti-gun lawmaker on the news holding an AR-15 with their finger inside the trigger guard, on the trigger, and refer incorrectly to magazines as “clips,” I think “Here is someone without an iota of firearm knowledge who not only shouldn’t be making decisions for us, but who shouldn’t be allowed to touch a firearm.”

Is it too much to expect that both sides be educated about what they are discussing/arguing over??

Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM

35,919 posts, read 32,603,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabujitsu View Post
Whenever I see an anti-gun lawmaker on the news holding an AR-15 with their finger inside the trigger guard, on the trigger, and refer incorrectly to magazines as “clips,” I think “Here is someone without an iota of firearm knowledge who not only shouldn’t be making decisions for us, but who shouldn’t be allowed to touch a firearm.”

Is it too much to expect that both sides be educated about what they are discussing/arguing over??
When I read things like "banana clip" I think of things like fruit. When I hear some lady "shoulder thingy that goes up" I think of a purse.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:35 PM

3,219 posts, read 988,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I have yet to see anyone who is advocating banning "sniper rifles" actually define what makes a particular gun a sniper rifle.

"Sniper" is a person with skills to shoot at a distance.

It's not a gun.
You are correct about the latter, however;

Many groups have a plan to ban everything, even muzzleloaders:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qpLuDOHHv4v9LR

"Cue the .50 caliber muzzleloader, which delivers a particularly lethal .50 caliber round," the report said. "This weapon is designed with a built-in device to suppress its sound. If any other firearm were built with such a device, it would be subject to the NFA as a silencer. But since this device is designed to suppress the sound of something that is exempt from federal firearms laws, it is not considered a silencer and not subject to the NFA. In fact, it is not subject to any laws at all and can be bought online."

The group called on Congress to take action and pass new laws restricting muzzleloaders and the other products outlined in the report.

"Before bump stocks were used to kill 58 people and maim hundreds of others enjoying an outdoor concert, most Americans had never heard of the device," David Chipman, a Giffords senior policy adviser, said in a statement. Congress has the responsibility to look forward not just backward. It’s time for them to show courage and leadership by drawing a line in the sand and saying they will defend the safety of Americans over an industry trying to line its pockets.".

Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 AM

1,234 posts, read 1,066,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Nobody needs the weapons outlaw gunslingers used to terrorize towns"

You have watched way too many westerns.

Gunfights were few and far between.

How do think those that did "terrorize towns " were stopped? "Please don't do it anymore and turn in your guns?"

"Around 9:30 the morning of October 5, 1892 five members of the Dalton Gang (Grat Dalton, Emmett Dalton, Bob Dalton, Bill Power and Dick Broadwell) rode into the small town of Coffeyville, Kansas. Their objective was to achieve financial security and make outlaw history by simultaneously robbing two banks."

"Suspicious townspeople watched through the banks' wide front windows as the robbers pulled their guns. Someone on the street shouted, "The bank is being robbed!" and the citizens quickly armed themselves - taking up firing positions around the banks. The ensuing firefight lasted less than fifteen minutes. A brief moment in time in which four townspeople lost their lives, four members of the Dalton Gang were gunned down and a small Kansas town became part of history."

After the battle
townspeople display
the bodies
of Bob & Grat Dalton

The Dalton Gang's Last Raid, 1892

The town has NOT had an attempted bank robbery since.
You completely missed the point of my post.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:05 AM

Washington State has followed California in "banning" assault weapons and since such things don't exist it shouldn't surprise anyone that no "ban" exists. Anyone can still buy an AR-15 or AK-47 in either State. Symbolism. What's the use?

Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,785,329 times
(sigh) I've been saying th transition from "assault" to "sniper" is coming sooner than later for a long time now. Anyone with a lick of sense can see that coming. Most of us in shooting circles know full well that one of the worst mass shootings in our history was done with a "sniper" rifle. A Rem 700 in 6mm. Three shot integral mag bolt action commonly used for deer hunting nationwide in a plethora of calibers.

The AR in 5.56 is sure no powerhouse as it is being claimed to be. Despite it's touted ability to use "military" ammunition. oooooo. "Military" ammo!! Impressive. Most impressive.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
(sigh) I've been saying th transition from "assault" to "sniper" is coming sooner than later for a long time now. Anyone with a lick of sense can see that coming. Most of us in shooting circles know full well that one of the worst mass shootings in our history was done with a "sniper" rifle. A Rem 700 in 6mm. Three shot integral mag bolt action commonly used for deer hunting nationwide in a plethora of calibers.

The AR in 5.56 is sure no powerhouse as it is being claimed to be. Despite it's touted ability to use "military" ammunition. oooooo. "Military" ammo!! Impressive. Most impressive.
Full metal jacket will punch right through and unless it hits a vital organ you'll survive. Hunting bullets? Not so much.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:42 PM

5,035 posts, read 3,473,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Charles Whitman.

Old Today, 10:40 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,785,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Charles Whitman.

Indeed. Charles Whitman. The anti 2A types have always found their focus shifting to land on whatever buzz term is in vogue. Saturday Night Specials, sniper rifles, assault this that or the other. Whatever they can inflate and make sound the most dangerous and "not needed" by citizens.

The terminology that comes out of this is often quite colorful and very amusing to actual shooters, but alas it catches on with the uninformed and spreads like a virus. They make the 223 sound like some sort of armor defeating smart round hat on its own is beyond lethal without a firearm to chamber it. I remember a craze back in the late 70s where they were running with the term "magnum" touting it as able to stop a tank.

And it all continues now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies