U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,224 posts, read 8,077,493 times
Reputation: 3918

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hopefully hooligan will see this, they're under the impression that all laws are legitimate or they wouldnt be laws.


Wrong again, but I figure you're used to that by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
 
13,310 posts, read 4,568,594 times
Reputation: 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The point being that the SCOTUS is the ultimate arbiter of what is or isn't constitutional. Whatever they say is, is. Whatever they say isn't, isn't. Or, more accurately, it all is, until they say it isn't. Period.


Don't conflate right/wrong or good/bad with questions of constitutionality.


This isn't Schrödinger's cat - it's not both constitutional and unconstitutional at the same time.
That's not true. It either is or isn't. Just because it hasn't been brought to their attention yet doesn't mean it's automatically Constitutional. It is TREATED as if it is but the reality is it isn't if it isn't and that's why they get overturned or struck down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,927 posts, read 17,858,049 times
Reputation: 15910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, and grandpappy's 30-06 could be considered a "sniper rifle." It does the same thing without the black plastic stock and muzzle brake.
It was quite effective as an actual "sniper rifle" for the last century. The M1903 Springfield is still perfectly capable of that role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
 
Location: MS
4,302 posts, read 4,110,774 times
Reputation: 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Especially the semi-automatic versions. Imagine an "assault sniper rifle" !!!
That "little gun" on top is an AR-15 with an 18" barrel. The bottom is an semi-auto chambered in .300 Win Mag. For those not familiar with a rifle of this type, with the right person pulling the trigger it can hit a target easily a mile away.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,927 posts, read 17,858,049 times
Reputation: 15910
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It's a little suspect that they immediately labeled it a "high velocity rifle" round, as that would almost certainly penetrate standard police body armor.
Exactly. Most body armor is designed to stop handgun rounds, not any center-fire rifle rounds. Just what is a "high velocity rifle"? What muzzle velocity defines it? Is a .30-30? .308 Win? .30-06? .22-250? .220 Swift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,927 posts, read 17,858,049 times
Reputation: 15910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That "little gun" on top is an AR-15 with an 18" barrel. The bottom is an semi-auto chambered in .300 Win Mag. For those not familiar with a rifle of this type, with the right person pulling the trigger it can hit a target easily a mile away.



I do want the .300 WinMag version-though I'd actually prefer either .300 WSM, .338 Lapua or .408 Cheytac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Status: "She was warned yet STILL she persisted" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,849 posts, read 4,443,477 times
Reputation: 10576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Cops kill more people in one year than all mass shootings in 10 years combined.

Your tax dollars have slaughtered thousands of 6 year-olds in numerous Middle Eastern countries since 1991.

The U.S. government has tens of thousands of guns and billions of rounds of ammo, all funded by you.
And gun control laws or the lack there-of would impact all of the above how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Not Real Activists Negotiating Rights Away is a gun control organization.
Thank you for the input from the anarchist's point of view although you seem to be mostly just a contrarian, ready to scream "black" whenever someone else mentions "white," or God forbid, shades of grey.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; Yesterday at 11:13 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,657 posts, read 1,979,435 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
And gun control laws or the lack there-of would impact all of the above how?
It's pointing out the fact that there should be ZERO gun control laws, and that the entire government should be completely disarmed.

People like you don't want to ban guns; you just want the government to be the only ones allowed to have them.

Quote:
Thank you for the input from the anarchist's point of view although you seem to be mostly just a contrarian, read to scream "black" whenever someone else mentions "white," or God forbid, shades of grey.
The NRA is a milquetoast, centrist lobbying group whose only purpose is to serve as the lobbying arm for gun companies. They couldn't care less about gun ownership rights.

The GOA, NAGR, 2AF, and others are FAR more effective. Yet the NRA is painted as some sort of malevolent entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,224 posts, read 8,077,493 times
Reputation: 3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's not true. It either is or isn't. Just because it hasn't been brought to their attention yet doesn't mean it's automatically Constitutional. It is TREATED as if it is but the reality is it isn't if it isn't and that's why they get overturned or struck down.


Exactly. It is, until it isn't. Then if they change their minds, it is once again.


It's constitutional right up until the moment it is ruled not to be so. Then it is constitutional once again the minute that decision is reversed.


Precisely what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
11,006 posts, read 10,655,969 times
Reputation: 9646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Exactly. It is, until it isn't. Then if they change their minds, it is once again.


It's constitutional right up until the moment it is ruled not to be so. Then it is constitutional once again the minute that decision is reversed.


Precisely what I said.
Sure, and if a car drives by my home, it is only blue once I declare it to be. The car's color is dependent upon my declaration.

You really don't seethe flaw in your logic, do you? Here is a question for you, then: where would the court get the motivation to declare a law unconstitutional if it were not unconstitutional? Do they sit there on the bench and examine the law, and then say something to the effect of this? "Hmmm, well gee, this law is constitutional at this point. But let's declare it unconstitutional. Then it will be unconstitutional from that point forward... unless we declare it constitutional again."

Rational people, ESPECIALLY those sorts of legal minds, don't do such silly things very often. They have to have a reason to declare something unconstitutional... presumably, because IT WAS, not because it wasn't. Now of course, it is possible to make mistakes and/or intentionally bad choices. But laws are not suddenly unconstitutional. Either they are or they are not. "Recognizing it" doesn't change the fact. You can declare that a blue car is green all day long... and it is still blue. Calling it green doesn't change its "blueness." Your thinking on this matter is just another example of leftist subjectivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top