U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:13 AM

8,562 posts, read 1,971,654 times

Advertisements

"Forensic experts claim there is no way Larry Swearingen raped and killed Melissa Trotter. The state is still putting him to death."

No words.

https://reason.com/2019/08/21/tonigh...-didnt-commit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:18 AM

16,342 posts, read 9,193,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
"Forensic experts claim there is no way Larry Swearingen raped and killed Melissa Trotter. The state is still putting him to death."

No words.

https://reason.com/2019/08/21/tonigh...-didnt-commit/

you should have posted :

"Forensic experts" claim.... those quotation marks are ill placed in your post.

that dude is guilty as sin and everyone knows it.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

1,640 posts, read 315,858 times
He was in prison for 19 years and had 6 stays and 5 appeals.
It's not like they execute a week after being convicted.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

4,520 posts, read 2,694,980 times
All his lawyer wants is to do the DNA test that was never done. Why would Texas object to that if he is "guilty as sin"?

This is the problem with capital murder cases - it is a big career boost for a DA to get a high profile murder conviction. These ends up being a conflict of interest between ensuring justice is served and getting a major career boost. It is no wonder the DA doesn't want someone to have his conviction overturned. It would be a career killer for him. So he let's the guy be executed even though the evidence is pretty flimsy.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
All his lawyer wants is to do the DNA test that was never done. Why would Texas object to that if he is "guilty as sin"?

This is the problem with capital murder cases - it is a big career boost for a DA to get a high profile murder conviction. These ends up being a conflict of interest between ensuring justice is served and getting a major career boost. It is no wonder the DA doesn't want someone to have his conviction overturned. It would be a career killer for him. So he let's the guy be executed even though the evidence is pretty flimsy.
Has it been the same DA over the past 20 years ?

Old Today, 10:54 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 17 days ago)

12,518 posts, read 6,526,419 times
I'm going to need a more neutral source detailing things before I pass judgement against the verdict.

Old Today, 10:56 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 17 days ago)

12,518 posts, read 6,526,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

Because its re-litigating a case that was already decided. Now, if unique evidence comes up that would alter the verdict, I'm all for taking a look at it. But mere "claims" that something will do something I'm not sold on disturbing the jury verdict for.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm going to need a more neutral source detailing things before I pass judgement against the verdict.
There's plenty out there..he's been on Death Row since 2000.

Old Today, 11:05 AM

4,520 posts, read 2,694,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Because its re-litigating a case that was already decided. Now, if unique evidence comes up that would alter the verdict, I'm all for taking a look at it. But mere "claims" that something will do something I'm not sold on disturbing the jury verdict for.
They are not asking to overturn the conviction, they are asking to test the rape kit for DNA. If that comes back exculpatory then they would ask for for the conviction to be set aside.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

11,276 posts, read 6,594,654 times
I have some words. He was last seen talking to the girl. He had a history of violence against women. Her leggings were sound on his property. Her school papers were found at his mother’s house. Her hair was found in his truck. His cell phone hit off a tower near where he dumped her body, 70 miles away. He staged a break in to hide evidence. He tried to get another person on death row ti confess and told him details of the killing not released to the public. He’s guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or