Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Most of it came from book sales:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex.../#18f6d90b5bf0

It's not unheard of for people to gain money from their popularity. *cough*Kardashians*cough* Despite what the right might think, he remains a popular ex-President.
That's still not enough to afford over 20 million in homes. Are they over extending themselves like they told others not to do? I bet it's more than likely they got sweetheart deals like nobody else could get. That half white privilege is working nice for him eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
Still pretty cheap compared to how much Trump spends on his proprieties. Just admit you have an Obama crush.
Trump has billions of dollars worth of properties, but Trump doesn't criticize wealthy people or tell Americans how to live their lives -- that was the point I was trying to make.

The Obama's always talked a good talk about the 1% living too extravagantly and about needing to reduce our carbon footprint -- and now they're 1%'ers who obviously are not following their own advice.

Do as I say but not as I do.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
But Trump isn't telling people to lower their living standards like the Obama's have been.
Do you have a quote to share, or what?

Old 08-22-2019, 01:12 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Do you have a quote to share, or what?
GTFO. Where the hell were you when he was POTUS? He got on his stump many, many times to lecture everyone about it.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
President Trump became wealthy long before he became President, by way of ...
... bank fraud, tax evasion, swindling and money laundering.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
GTFO. Where the hell were you when he was POTUS? He got on his stump many, many times to lecture everyone about it.
OK, give us some quotes. Sounds like that should be easy for you.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I’m not sure a former President can reside in a small home with little space between houses. With all the security requirements and guest that cannot exactly be safe at a holiday inn when visiting, I imagine you have to buy a huge property with rooms for security and guest.

I’m not stating anything you didn’t already know.

But is it a requirement for former presidents to buy properties in some of the most expensive real estate markets in the U.S.? I have no problem with the Obama's becoming rich and living a lavish lifestyle, but they need to drop the environmentalist B.S. and stop telling other people how to live their lives. It's the same deal with all the Hollywood idiots who complain about the environment but they refuse to give up their private jets and mega mansions.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Well now the Obamas can be like those other wealthy Dems telling you how the rich are stealing your money.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:16 PM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Never seen so many people mad at capitalism because Obama made money from a book.

Is there anyone in politics without a book deal? Even the talking heads all have 2-3 books to sell you.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:16 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
I'd like to know where they get all this money. Selling a couple of books can't be that damn lucrative.
The TMZ link said they have his six figure pension, both have book sales, she had earnings from a book tour, he has speeches, and they have a deal with Netflix. A quick search of the Google says they had between 30-65m in rights on their books. It looks like that is for books from both of them and includes overseas rights as well- but I would still trust 30 something more than sixty.

If they haggled down cost its also possible they could be claiming it as an investment property that can rent out for significant parts of the year. The original asking was 22m, its currently at 14m, and the link says they would be buying at a discount- maybe 10m. I'm not really sure how that was going to be a 22m dollar house...

Other than the Carters, it is not out of line with the residences of any of the other former Presidents. The big question will be if they are able to make modifications to lessen its energy needs- or if it is already an energy efficient home. Presidents are always going to end up in large homes on larger plots because they are easier to protect for the Secret Service.

Similarly- Ex-Presidents also cause traffic pollution by requiring 3-4 vehicles at a clip for a simple grocery store run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies