U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:01 PM

40,750 posts, read 40,315,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Gillette didnt say all men though, you put that imaginary "all" in front of it.

no different than people who say "only" black lives matter, even though there isnt an only there. If anything, there is an imaginary "too" at the end.
I understand that. I pay attention to myself, I monitor my views and what's going on in my head, I do this and try to be as objective as I can. That said the commercial just didn't sit well with me. I understand the larger context, I really do. It just didn't come off well. As others have said, why were all of the jackoffs white? Another layer of PC SJW horsecrap that just sorta annoyed a bit.

I just think companies, as I've posted upthread should, for their own profit margins, generally avoid promoting social messages just for fear of possibly offending people. It just doesn't make good business sense as the dip in sales and revenue prove out. If an organization feels the need to push a message, it should be something universal, curing cancer, ending childhood diseases, I mean fill in the blank. The blank not being some SJW agenda.

Yeah, some men are bad, most probably aren't. Aim your ads to that group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:03 PM

21,375 posts, read 10,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Some would, some would have an honest discussion about culture or in the example you used, allowing women to get away with acting angry by saying "im on my period".

but again, Gillette never said all. You are just assuming that is what they meant.

Do some of you NOT understand that the phrase *toxic masculinity*, which was the theme of the commercial, targets ALL men due to societal norms and standards?

FFS - this is getting tiresome, which is why I didn't want to engage with either of you in the first place.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

46,485 posts, read 18,388,463 times
What Gillette actually said. And the word "MEN" is used. Not "some men".

Quote:
THE BEST MEN CAN BE

Thirty years ago, we launched our The Best A Man Can Get tagline.

Since then, it has been an aspirational statement, reflecting standards that many men strive to achieve.
But turn on the news today and it’s easy to believe that men are not at their best. Many find themselves at a crossroads, caught between the past and a new era of masculinity. While it is clear that changes are needed, where and how we can start to effect that change is less obvious for many. And when the changes needed seem so monumental, it can feel daunting to begin. So, let’s do it together.

It’s time we acknowledge that brands, like ours, play a role in influencing culture. And as a company that encourages men to be their best, we have a responsibility to make sure we are promoting positive, attainable, inclusive and healthy versions of what it means to be a man. With that in mind, we have spent the last few months taking a hard look at our past and coming communication and reflecting on the types of men and behaviors we want to celebrate. We’re inviting all men along this journey with us – to strive to be better, to make us better, and to help each other be better.

From today on, we pledge to actively challenge the stereotypes and expectations of what it means to be a man everywhere you see Gillette. In the ads we run, the images we publish to social media, the words we choose, and so much more.

As part of The Best Men Can Be campaign, Gillette is committing to donate $1 million per year for the next three years to non-profit organizations executing programs in the United States designed to inspire, educate and help men of all ages achieve their personal “best” and become role models for the next generation.

Our tagline needs to continue to inspire us all to be better every day, and to help create a new standard for boys to admire and for men to achieve… Because the boys of today are the men of tomorrow.

We’ve all got work to do. And it starts today.
Gillette. The Best A Man Can Get.
Now, $12,000,000,000+ they take it all back. It speaks for itself.

Old Today, 12:06 PM

40,750 posts, read 40,315,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What Gillette actually said.

Now they take it all back. It speaks for itself.
They didn't say all men, but damn it sure seemed like it didn't it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree in general, but the bolded to me is just basic common sense and is how we should view the world in general.

Over in the Relationship board every other thread is why do women do this, why do men do that.

I think people should start learning to exercise some restraint and use qualifiers like "some" I mean it would just take the edge off of people becoming insulted. There's no reason to insult an entire group of people because some people annoy you.

I mean that sentiment should apply across every facet of life, race, religion, sex etc etc etc
Yeah, it's basic common sense. We don't need to create a philosophy that all men, due to cultural and societal norms and mores, are dbags, and all males must be raised differently because there's a problem.

27,633 posts, read 15,990,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
How do you get here???? That's a heck of a leap.

Real men don't do those actions.
That is what happened in the actual commercial. Or do you not care because it targets the stereotypical alpha male type?

Old Today, 12:09 PM

46,485 posts, read 18,388,463 times
Quote:
They didn't say all men, but damn it sure seemed like it didn't it???

I agree. They probably didn't count soy boys and girly men.

Old Today, 12:09 PM

Quote:
It’s time we acknowledge that brands, like ours, play a role in influencing culture. And as a company that encourages men to be their best, we have a responsibility to make sure we are promoting positive, attainable, inclusive and healthy versions of what it means to be a man. With that in mind, we have spent the last few months taking a hard look at our past and coming communication and reflecting on the types of men and behaviors we want to celebrate.
Ironically, they paid millions of dollars to run this during the Super Bowl. Too bad the wife-beaters were in the locker room and didn't see it.

Old Today, 12:11 PM

23,600 posts, read 11,684,514 times
Quote:
I understand that. I pay attention to myself, I monitor my views and what's going on in my head, I do this and try to be as objective as I can. That said the commercial just didn't sit well with me. I understand the larger context, I really do. It just didn't come off well. As others have said, why were all of the jackoffs white? Another layer of PC SJW horsecrap that just sorta annoyed a bit.
What exactly didnt come off well??? Your post makes it seem like your biggest grip is that white guys were the bad guys in the commercial. Which, I doubt you would make the argument in the reverse.

so this again comes down to personal projection rather than actually having a problem with the commerical.

Quote:
I just think companies, as I've posted upthread should, for their own profit margins, generally avoid promoting social messages just for fear of possibly offending people. It just doesn't make good business sense as the dip in sales and revenue prove out. If an organization feels the need to push a message, it should be something universal, curing cancer, ending childhood diseases, I mean fill in the blank. The blank not being some SJW agenda.

Yeah, some men are bad, most probably aren't. Aim your ads to that group.
besides the horse playing, everything in that commercial was universal.

Old Today, 12:15 PM

6,139 posts, read 3,161,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
meh. they're not getting my business back.
Same

Gillette and ALL PROCTOR AND GAMBLE PRODUCTS will never be in my home again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies