U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 12:16 PM
 
1,659 posts, read 323,374 times
Reputation: 1875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Some would, some would have an honest discussion about culture or in the example you used, allowing women to get away with acting angry by saying "im on my period".

but again, Gillette never said all. You are just assuming that is what they meant.
$8 billion in lost sales because people "assumed" and didn't see the invisible disclaimer you say they had ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 12:17 PM
 
377 posts, read 41,457 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so this again comes down to personal projection rather than actually having a problem with the commerical.
This is not personal projection. We have a problem with the commercial that has now damaged their brand. I don't know why you're arguing this. If you want to buy Gillette products, go to the store and buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:18 PM
 
46,485 posts, read 18,388,463 times
Reputation: 19367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What exactly didnt come off well??? Your post makes it seem like your biggest grip is that white guys were the bad guys in the commercial. Which, I doubt you would make the argument in the reverse.

so this again comes down to personal projection rather than actually having a problem with the commerical. besides the horse playing, everything in that commercial was universal.
Dear go buy their razor blades. You are making it way too hard.



I can tell you that we have stopped and they won't be returning. In fact, I'll look at what I can do to get rid of all P&G products. Enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,600 posts, read 11,684,514 times
Reputation: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Same



Gillette and ALL PROCTOR AND GAMBLE PRODUCTS will never be in my home again
So you threw out products you already own ? and what about things that P & G have minority stakes in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,600 posts, read 11,684,514 times
Reputation: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
$8 billion in lost sales because people "assumed" and didn't see the invisible disclaimer you say they had ?
Basically yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,632 posts, read 15,990,924 times
Reputation: 9964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Here's what you aren't getting. It's a very small percentage of men who sexually harass women and bully them, but the impression being made is that it's a systemic problem based on gender and most, if not all, men are guilty of those things.

There is a good percentage of men in certain cultures that feel it's okay to smack your woman around if they're not *behaving*. Let's pretend these are black males or Muslims. If an ad geared toward black men or Muslims included the message that it's wrong to get physically abusive with women and this behavior needs to stop, some of you would be upset that this ad suggests that all black males and Muslims beat their women.

Can you honestly sit there and deny that??

What if Kotex created a commercial telling women that PMS doesn't give women a license to be witchy toward others.

That wouldn't be offensive?
Bullying is bigger than anyone realizes and sexual harassment is to an extent too. It is swept up the rug or romanticized. I talked to my father and he grew up when it was OK to fight back and when parents ENCOURAGED standing up for oneself. There was a time when secretaries were the willing mistress to a married executive and a nice firm smack on the but was fine. Thankfully we don't live in this world any more, but sadly people want it back this way. People got seriously hurt fighting back and it is asinine to think that the old workplace behavior is fine

The main reason it is bigger though is lack of reporting. How many times are we talking about bullying when someone dies? How many times do women fear for their job when a male president or executive harasses them and fear by not agreeing they are pissing their career away? How many times do we hear HR isnt on your side?

As for Blacks being used, I think some if not most would take it that way, maybe I wouldn't. Muslims are entirely different altogether since many have different beliefs. I'm not saying it is wrong, just a wide canvas. It is like saying all Christians say Gays are Sinners that need to die and face judgment. Everyone of course knows they are not to every Christian, but many do have that view.

As for the pantyliner ad, that is a tougher sell. I work with teenagers who have behavioral problems. They do have issues controlling emotions sometimes. A large part of it is background but some of it is in fact puberty. The hormonal changes during puberty can cause a lot of mood swings. You know what else has mood swings, the end/begining of the female menstrual cycle or the period. I am NOT condoning girls being... while on their cycle, but they are going through a emotionally draining time because hormones are issue at that time as well as different times during pregnancy itself. This is widely accepted science theory bordering on fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,600 posts, read 11,684,514 times
Reputation: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
This is not personal projection. We have a problem with the commercial that has now damaged their brand. I don't know why you're arguing this. If you want to buy Gillette products, go to the store and buy them.
Because you say you have a problem with the commercial, but cant actually name the thing you have a problem with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,371 posts, read 10,306,275 times
Reputation: 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Bullying is bigger than anyone realizes and sexual harassment is to an extent too. It is swept up the rug or romanticized. I talked to my father and he grew up when it was OK to fight back and when parents ENCOURAGED standing up for oneself. There was a time when secretaries were the willing mistress to a married executive and a nice firm smack on the but was fine. Thankfully we don't live in this world any more, but sadly people want it back this way. People got seriously hurt fighting back and it is asinine to think that the old workplace behavior is fine

The main reason it is bigger though is lack of reporting. How many times are we talking about bullying when someone dies? How many times do women fear for their job when a male president or executive harasses them and fear by not agreeing they are pissing their career away? How many times do we hear HR isnt on your side?

As for Blacks being used, I think some if not most would take it that way, maybe I wouldn't. Muslims are entirely different altogether since many have different beliefs. I'm not saying it is wrong, just a wide canvas. It is like saying all Christians say Gays are Sinners that need to die and face judgment. Everyone of course knows they are not to every Christian, but many do have that view.

As for the pantyliner ad, that is a tougher sell. I work with teenagers who have behavioral problems. They do have issues controlling emotions sometimes. A large part of it is background but some of it is in fact puberty. The hormonal changes during puberty can cause a lot of mood swings. You know what else has mood swings, the end/begining of the female menstrual cycle or the period. I am NOT condoning girls being... while on their cycle, but they are going through a emotionally draining time because hormones are issue at that time as well as different times during pregnancy itself. This is widely accepted science theory bordering on fact.

Thankfully, we don't live in this world anymore - which means there was no need to indict an entire group of people.

And what people 'want it back that way'? There will always be scumbags - it doesn't matter how evolved human beings are.

The commercial was a complete failure. It did nothing to promote dialogue, it simply slammed men.

And if any other group had been targeted, the SJW's who thought this up and those who are defending it, would be screaming about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:32 PM
 
46,485 posts, read 18,388,463 times
Reputation: 19367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Because you say you have a problem with the commercial, but cant actually name the thing you have a problem with.
Why would anyone answer you on this. Clearly you can't accept anything here but your own "opinion". And you keep making post after post why you trying to discredit anyone elses opinion on the matter.

You can only speak for yourself. And you certainty CAN'T speak for the millions of men who stopped buying their product because of similar high handedness. The fact that you have done so. Accused millions of falling for a hoax, speaks for your own issues. Nobody elses.


P&G has figured it out. It's cost them billions of dollars and many many lost customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,371 posts, read 10,306,275 times
Reputation: 20565
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why would anyone answer you on this. Clearly you can't accept anything here but your own "opinion". And you keep making post after post why you trying to discredit anyone elses opinion on the matter.

You can only speak for yourself. And you certainty CAN'T speak for the millions of men who stopped buying their product because of similar high handedness. The fact that you have done so. Accused millions of falling for a hoax, speaks for your own issues. Nobody elses.
Yep, I've answered that question more than once and it's still being asked because there's no defense of that commercial or the philosophy of toxic masculinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top