U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 PM
 
2,213 posts, read 1,736,661 times
Reputation: 2802

Advertisements

Called this a mile a way. Got flack for it on CD-R, but knew I was right. Too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2019, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,380 posts, read 10,320,893 times
Reputation: 20568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Just look at the forum and you'll see it. They make vague attempts if not full on attempts to take the country back. Apparently America is supposed to be a country of white males. I'm white male and realize that it is just plain stupid. America since the 1780's has always been a melting pot of races, religions and genders.
Help me out here so I understand what you're talking about. How are people making attempts to take the country back, and back to what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 04:50 PM
 
46,517 posts, read 18,414,017 times
Reputation: 19373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Just look at the forum and you'll see it. They make vague attempts if not full on attempts to take the country back. Apparently America is supposed to be a country of white males. I'm white male and realize that it is just plain stupid. America since the 1780's has always been a melting pot of races, religions and genders.
Gillette screwed by attempting to demonize Whites men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,380 posts, read 1,316,445 times
Reputation: 1458
Dollar Shave Club, $6 per month, and that is neither the cheapest nor the most expensive blades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,380 posts, read 10,320,893 times
Reputation: 20568
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Dollar Shave Club, $6 per month, and that is neither the cheapest nor the most expensive blades.
Owned by P & G's competitor - Unilever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,644 posts, read 16,001,337 times
Reputation: 9964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Help me out here so I understand what you're talking about. How are people making attempts to take the country back, and back to what?
So you haven't heard the countless threads and posts about "MAGA" being used by white males to take the country back? If you have been on this forum, this claim has come up whether you talk a pejorative or by actual supporters who still yell "Obama!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
12,569 posts, read 6,544,522 times
Reputation: 12143
I won't be going back to Gillette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,380 posts, read 10,320,893 times
Reputation: 20568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So you haven't heard the countless threads and posts about "MAGA" being used by white males to take the country back? If you have been on this forum, this claim has come up whether you talk a pejorative or by actual supporters who still yell "Obama!"
Context. What does it mean?

Take America back to me means putting citizens first. That does NOT mean America should consist of nothing but white males as you claimed. All ethnicities, races, religions, etc. are American citizens.

And it certainly doesn't mean posters want to go back to disrespecting women.

You're changing the subject by throwing everything at the wall. The commercial targeted a group of people when only a small subset of the audience needed to be indicted. The commercial was about toxic masculinity - a concept which indicts all males.

ANY other group targeted in this manner and you would have had a problem with it.

I can't make it any simpler. If you still don't understand why it was offensive, there's no hope and I'm done discussing it with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 08:35 PM
 
6,445 posts, read 6,742,642 times
Reputation: 6011
Come on, only an idiot would not see the commercial as offensive to white males. Only white males were used in the video as perpetrators of sexual harassers. It’s so obvious. Can’t even defend such crap. You know the advertising company and/or Gillette made sure not to offend minorities. They decided to play politics and lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,644 posts, read 16,001,337 times
Reputation: 9964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Context. What does it mean?

Take America back to me means putting citizens first. That does NOT mean America should consist of nothing but white males as you claimed. All ethnicities, races, religions, etc. are American citizens.

And it certainly doesn't mean posters want to go back to disrespecting women.

You're changing the subject by throwing everything at the wall. The commercial targeted a group of people when only a small subset of the audience needed to be indicted. The commercial was about toxic masculinity - a concept which indicts all males.

ANY other group targeted in this manner and you would have had a problem with it.

I can't make it any simpler. If you still don't understand why it was offensive, there's no hope and I'm done discussing it with you.
I do understand how it can be taken that way, I'm just not offended by the commercial because it is right to a degree. I'm not saying all men are toxic but to say it isn't a problem is idiotic. I think toxic masculinity is too an extent correct but it is at the same time wrong. It isn't a 100% true or false dictomy.

As for the claim that I'm throwing crap to see what sticks, are ya kidding me or just ignoring the truth that there is a subset of the Trump voters who see talking the country back as being white males, not "putting citizens first." "Putting citizens first" is the conservative spin.

As for posters not wanting to disrespect women, what about the relationship forum on here or other websites? Yeah that totally don't happen ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top