U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 PM

21,380 posts, read 10,320,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I do understand how it can be taken that way, I'm just not offended by the commercial because it is right to a degree. I'm not saying all men are toxic but to say it isn't a problem is idiotic. I think toxic masculinity is too an extent correct but it is at the same time wrong. It isn't a 100% true or false dictomy.

As for the claim that I'm throwing crap to see what sticks, are ya kidding me or just ignoring the truth that there is a subset of the Trump voters who see talking the country back as being white males, not "putting citizens first." "Putting citizens first" is the conservative spin.

As for posters not wanting to disrespect women, what about the relationship forum on here or other websites? Yeah that totally don't happen ..
There you go again, throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Read the post above yours by VLWH. I agree 100% with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 PM

36,239 posts, read 10,766,263 times
Gillette isn't changing a thing.

All you have to do is look at its CEO's alphabet community resumé to see where he's taking Gillette and P&G. In addition, it was just a few weeks ago when he sniffed that he didn't regret the ad campaign, it offended a "small minority," and that losing the business of those people was a small price to pay.

So take your business elsewhere, guys.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 10,897,596 times
I tried to read through the whole thread but only got about halfway. Anyway, I'm a woman and when I first saw the commercial, I just rolled my eyes. I mean, c'mon. Not that certain "toxic masculinity" doesn't exist; of course it does. It means that some men are a-holes, to use a mild term. Some women are a-holes, too. "Toxic femininity"?

Anyway, talk about jumping on the phony, bump-up-sales bandwagon. Taking a subject like that and using it to promote sales. Ugh. And now they're retracting it?? Omg, just forget it.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

27,644 posts, read 16,001,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There you go again, throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Read the post above yours by VLWH. I agree 100% with it.
You are just full of cognitive biases huh. I replied and even agreed with some of your statements in the past two posts but it is still "throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks." I have shown my hand, and you reject it. That is the hostile media bias if I ever saw it. Hell, you're also backfiring at me with the comment that I quoted of saying and digging your feet in. I haven't and have been objective. You haven't. Instead you chose and wanted to be fully offended and think the ad was an attack on males and white males in particular. Two posts below you says that there are aspects of toxic masculinity that are in fact true, namely being a-holes. There are many men that act like a-holes and I can tell you from working in the public, it is true. I can tell you that there are toxic femininity that is true too. Hell, I saw it yesterday at work with a "just like a man" comment. I shrugged it off, not because I don't care, I do. It is just that I rather not have it be an issue like men "allowed" to act like a-holes.

The problem is in this world we choose to let things get to us. I wish Trump didn't have control of the media as much as he does. And Trump controls it because anytime he Tweets, it becomes a news story, not because of favorability. Why, because all he does is starts useless crap and bickering like in this thread. Just Thursday I heard about the kneeling crap again during my father's birthday cake thing from one of his season ticket buddies and I said the worst part is those that typically say that don't stand in reverence during the anthem (they cat-call and cheer the high note even if it is played, not sung) and fly the flag off their truck, even in rain. You know what, they said I'm right.

The commercial to me was color blind. It just chose white people to be a part of it because there are more whites in America and if they had two African-American kids wrestle, be a victim of bullying or be the bully, we'd never hear the end of that. That is the problem with having a minority in the ad. I wouldn't have run the ad at all PERSONALLY, I just don't fully disagree with it like many on here. That's my two cents on this matter.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

4,008 posts, read 1,696,336 times
Those minorities are guilty of domestic violence at a FAR higher rate than white people.

So using only white guys in the ad was tantamount to a lie.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

27,644 posts, read 16,001,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Those minorities are guilty of domestic violence at a FAR higher rate than white people.

So using only white guys in the ad was tantamount to a lie.
To be fair, I think it is still not talked about rather than people just specific to one race. I think that the minorities just have it reported more often...

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

4,008 posts, read 1,696,336 times
That's what you 'think' huh?

Prove it.

And keep in mind that the high rate of domestic violence for said minorities is no outlier. It's true of almost any violent crime you can point to. Domestic violence is just one data point, and totally consistent with a much larger trend.

So you appear to be making an extraordinary claim here.

What evidence are you basing this on?

Old Today, 09:10 AM

21,380 posts, read 10,320,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You are just full of cognitive biases huh. I replied and even agreed with some of your statements in the past two posts but it is still "throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks." I have shown my hand, and you reject it. That is the hostile media bias if I ever saw it. Hell, you're also backfiring at me with the comment that I quoted of saying and digging your feet in. I haven't and have been objective. You haven't. Instead you chose and wanted to be fully offended and think the ad was an attack on males and white males in particular. Two posts below you says that there are aspects of toxic masculinity that are in fact true, namely being a-holes. There are many men that act like a-holes and I can tell you from working in the public, it is true. I can tell you that there are toxic femininity that is true too. Hell, I saw it yesterday at work with a "just like a man" comment. I shrugged it off, not because I don't care, I do. It is just that I rather not have it be an issue like men "allowed" to act like a-holes.

The problem is in this world we choose to let things get to us. I wish Trump didn't have control of the media as much as he does. And Trump controls it because anytime he Tweets, it becomes a news story, not because of favorability. Why, because all he does is starts useless crap and bickering like in this thread. Just Thursday I heard about the kneeling crap again during my father's birthday cake thing from one of his season ticket buddies and I said the worst part is those that typically say that don't stand in reverence during the anthem (they cat-call and cheer the high note even if it is played, not sung) and fly the flag off their truck, even in rain. You know what, they said I'm right.

The commercial to me was color blind. It just chose white people to be a part of it because there are more whites in America and if they had two African-American kids wrestle, be a victim of bullying or be the bully, we'd never hear the end of that. That is the problem with having a minority in the ad. I wouldn't have run the ad at all PERSONALLY, I just don't fully disagree with it like many on here. That's my two cents on this matter.
You're hard of listening. I don't reject your hand - what b.s. I've told you numerous times that you don't have a problem with it and that's fine. No further explanation is needed from you. Early on I accepted the fact that you saw no problem with the commercial.

Yet YOU demand to know why others DO have a problem with it and when we explain our reason, you reject it out of hand and argue about it. I've already explained and will not continue explaining because the bottom line is - you'll NEVER be tolerant of other people's points of view about it.

As for the bolded above, I haven't once mentioned race in my comments here. You don't even remember who posted what.

I'm done with this discussion with you because it's fruitless and at this point, you're arguing just to argue.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

7,434 posts, read 3,827,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
They sized up their customer base wrong. Liberal men don't buy razors because they either don't have pubic hair or are into the hipster-beard aesthetic.
That`s true but they`re not afraid to leave their homes without a gun stuffed in their bras like conservative men.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

18,870 posts, read 9,218,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
That`s true but they`re not afraid to leave their homes without a gun stuffed in their bras like conservative men.
It has nothing to do with fear. Do you carry home owner's insurance? I do, but I don't live in fear my house will burn down or be destroyed. You may wear a BRA, but we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies