U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:41 AM

23,600 posts, read 11,684,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I wish I could give more positive feedback for this post it deserves it. This is the most insightful and accurate post I've read on here in months.

Well said. Thank you.
How is it well said when it doesnt actually answer the question ?

I doubt you support homophobia, cat calling, bullying in general , so you dont actually disagree with the commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:43 AM

21,366 posts, read 10,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not for me.

This is personal.
This is personal?? An offensive commercial is personal? LMAO - some of you folks seem to take things far too seriously.

In the list of things I take exception to because they're personal, a commercial will never make the list.

Stop buying because you hated the ad campaign, but to say this is personal is so over the top and ridiculous that it's laughable.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

23,600 posts, read 11,684,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
My apologies and no offense, but I'm not going to explain myself to someone who believes manufactured phrases like *toxic masculinity*. We wouldn't get anywhere.

They were pandering to a very small percentage of the population, which generally backfires. Someone who knows better didn't have the cajones to tell them so.
We dont have to agree on the phrase toxic masculinity for you to explain what specifically you disagree with from the commercial, and honestly I feel like you saying so is a cop out because you know there is nothing you actually disagree with.

Lets break it down

First video segment: 5+ guys chasing one guy, calling him freak and sissy. Do you approve of this ?

Second video segment: cat calling, physical touching of a women without her permission . Do you approve of this ?

third video segment: Play fighting, this is the one area where you and others could call Gillette out for going to far, but because you want to defend the other 2 areas for some reason, you never get to the part you actually could disagree with.

The arguments you and others are making seem to be more about the general climate and some random article you read from Huffington post about men than it does the actual Gillette commercial.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

1,651 posts, read 658,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How is it well said when it doesnt actually answer the question ?

I doubt you support homophobia, cat calling, bullying in general , so you dont actually disagree with the commercial.
I don't care what you say or what type of circular arguments you are using to try and play "gotcha"

I'm sick of being guilted for being a man. Enough with the man hating already.

There's a coordinated effort to try and push the narrative that men (in particular white men) are bad. It's creating this ridiculous stereotype. I'm sick of this character assassination.

The post I quoted that you are referring to is spot on 100% accurate.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

1,251 posts, read 428,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is just it. Why would executives of that or any company accept the marketing proposals of companies that will not only fail to attract new customers, but in fact alienate their core customer base?

In years gone by if Joe Blow employee embarks on a poor advertising idea, it is shot down by the powers that be, and he is demoted and/or fired.
Yet today many of these companies are convinced to "virtue signal" to small constituencies that will likely not even buy their products in the short, much less the long run.
In the interim, they alienate their loyal customers, many of which will never return.

I cannot even tell you what a pain in the rear it is to now boycott all Procter & Gamble products because of their SJW and anti-male advertising campaign with Gillette products.
But I walk the walk and our family now avoids most of what they offer for purchase.

The same is true of the lifelong purchasers of jeans we use to buy from Levi.
The funny thing is when you go looking for new products you might not have otherwise tried, you find those products are as good or even better. This without them looking to offend you from an ideological or political perspective.
In the case of jeans, Duluth now has my business, and I do not give a flip about what happens to the Levi company. The founders are probably spinning in their graves.

Levi's, Dick's, Procter & Gamble and others will reap what they have sowed.

`
Duluth

Old Today, 09:29 AM

5,043 posts, read 2,041,766 times
Quote:
Daniel, you sound like a punitive liberal with this. Revenge politics, revenge consumerism, revenge anything is unnecessary and evil. They've already taken a hit and learned their lesson. That's good enough.
Nah, even after this fiasco, Gillette's CEO doubled down on his insults against customers... don't let up til he's fired.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

27,631 posts, read 15,990,924 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with men. There is nothing wrong with women. There are simply bad elements in both groups. This ongoing social campaign to make it sound like men are inherently (fill in the blank) is wrong, manipulative, and offensive. It plays to the lunatics promoting such notions, which isn't a large group.

I don't know what NRA-gate is. As for the NFL - it's a company that can set whatever rules they like. It has nothing to do with anything but an organization trying to protect their bottom line.
So men should sexually harass women and bully. I'm not saying women don't, but this was taught to us as "alpha" qualities. Granted another person broke it down better, but it still rings true.

Old Today, 09:34 AM

11,935 posts, read 9,479,958 times
Unless they lower prices or start a monthly subscription they arenít going to compete with the newbies.

Adapt or die.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

1,651 posts, read 658,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So men should sexually harass women and bully. I'm not saying women don't, but this was taught to us as "alpha" qualities. Granted another person broke it down better, but it still rings true.
How do you get here???? That's a heck of a leap.

Real men don't do those actions.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 4,944,080 times
Real men in a civil society behave reasonable with reasonable women.
Real men earn respect from one another, it is not automatically granted no matter what you are.
Razor companies have never gotten my business ,I have been supporting beard since high school . the only one in my family to do so.
I would say that in this particular environment about 50% of the men sport a beard, long and short . I think it is a trend for the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies