U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 05:08 PM

52,474 posts, read 42,196,618 times

Advertisements

Can people just shut up about abortion. Go start your own stupid thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 05:17 PM

50 posts, read 5,487 times
"Racist! Waaaah!"

Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 PM

36,260 posts, read 10,772,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Abortion IS birth control. The right wants to stop abortion. The right also wants to stop covering birth control pills from the prescription drug coverage part of health insurance plans. The right wants to increase unwed teenage mothers by removing birth control. The left supports birth control.

No, it's not. Even Planned Parenthood knows that.

But so did you.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 PM

14,690 posts, read 22,572,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I see black women equal pay is trending on twitter. What is with these fools that cannot understand that these 'studies' never - NEVER - even attempt to control for occupation, experience, skills, etc.

These studies are literally an acknowledgement that you work crappier jobs on average, not that there is any discrimination going on.
How many black women are the top paid actors in Hollywood? How many white purple green yellow or brown women for that matter?

Old 08-22-2019, 08:30 PM

2,300 posts, read 868,749 times
Quote:
I see black women equal pay is trending on twitter. What is with these fools that cannot understand that these 'studies' never - NEVER - even attempt to control for occupation, experience, skills, etc.

These studies are literally an acknowledgement that you work crappier jobs on average, not that there is any discrimination going on.
Yes. When you have 70 percent of babies born to unwed black mothers, which means often lower education, and part time jobs, unskilled jobs, then they are going to make less money...

Old 08-23-2019, 01:45 PM

15,623 posts, read 8,008,484 times
As a black woman whose worked in jobs that tried to use me up, I'll note on the topic that in many industries that aren't typically low paying and where white people and black men make more money on average, black women often make less because of both discrimination and black women being less likely to negotiate for a higher wage.

I learned this the hard way when I got into supply chain. Prior to getting into the field, the company I worked in that capacity had hired me as a receptionist/admin assistant. Since I was just getting back into the workplace after having my 2nd child (I'm married BTW) I took what I could find since the job market was difficult at that time (this was 2008-2009). I was paid about $30k per year for the receptionist/executive admin job. Most executive admins at that time averaged over $40k but I needed the job so took the lower pay. Fast foward to ARRA and the company I worked for having a lot of men who were serial sexual harrassers and so two men got fired - one who did HR and one who did sourcing/procurement and project management (public sector SCM basically). Because I had been the assistant to our regional director and both of these men, I was tasked with their jobs. I didn't get a raise even though both of them made over $65k per year when fired. I got a promotion to be our procurement manager and project coordinator for ARRA funded construction jobs. I asked for a raise and was told because of the recession I couldn't get one. My boss was eventually fired but this was after I was also tasked with doing IT work at that office since our corporate headquarters were in the Midwest. I had to learn what "the cloud" was (didn't know WTF it was back then lol) and I single handedly had to migrate our region to "the cloud" by myself with a helpdesk for assistance after getting a bit of training. Didn't get a raise for this either.

Around 2011 with the new boss, I told her I was going to leave if I didn't get a raise. She gave me a $15k raise but it still was not high enough IMO. In the interim, they hired a new project manager for construction since I was stretched thin with construction - a white man was hired in that position at $65k per year when I had only made $45k doing 3-4 jobs along with that one.

I ended up leaving that position after starting my own consulting company and they actually hired me back to do work I used to do because they had no one to do it who was qualified and knowledgeable. I had a wage of $200 per hour and only worked for them for 4 hours a day max about 1-2 days a week. Even though I liked being in business for myself, I didn't have benefits and didn't want to buy them cause they were expensive and my husband's health insurance went up to over $800 a month at one point. So I took another job doing similar work but was told again that it was budgetary constraints and they couldn't pay me more than $50k per year. I kept doing some of my consulting PT and also worked as a consultant with another firm after winding down my own business.

Got sick of making only $50k at the regular job and feeling compelled to do other work so I moved back to my hometown and got a $25K raise to do basically the same job I did down south. There are less people where I live with SCM experience (amongst others) that I have and so I was well sought after. I also made sure to negotiate to the top range of what I should be paid once I was offered the job.

That said, often black women are low balled. They often do not know they are. However, they/we need to ask for more money for our skills. Contrary to what many on the thread have shared, a large amount of black women actually do work in highly skilled positions or in the business world and they are still underpaid compared to all other workers. Part of that IMO really does have to do with discrimination - the initial low ball is discriminatory, but IMO black women need to research their field and to go for the highest range in salary they can get.

Salary has nothing to do with your marriage status IMO. As noted, I'm married. I had a mentor at that first job I mentioned and she admitted she low balled me (and I got mad lol but we're still friends). She told me to never take the low ball again because that's how they "get" black women for cheap. We still get into trysts about this but I did take the advice (and she always provides me a great reference). The stereotypes many of you share here are just that -racial stereotypes. The amount of kids you have or your marriage status has nothing to do with the fact that black women are low balled just because we are black. Black women actually have historically been shown to be very good, dedicated, hard, productive workers. If people can get all that for cheap they will. We need to look out for ourselves and our families and not take the low ball.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:53 PM

5,646 posts, read 1,417,346 times
My friend's husband got laid off from his job a couple of year ago. It took him a year to get another job in a hot market because they wanted black women because it was a double minority hire. He was told he should be 'less white' by a black woman who interviewed him.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 769,671 times
Quote:

Liberals don't really want 'equality', they want preferential treatment for those they've deemed to be victims. It's all just an effort to buy votes and it has largely worked.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM

5,199 posts, read 1,025,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My friend's husband got laid off from his job a couple of year ago. It took him a year to get another job in a hot market because they wanted black women because it was a double minority hire. He was told he should be 'less white' by a black woman who interviewed him.
Black female privilege used to justify discriminating against a White man? Detestable. Of course, some SJW might say that a Black person cannot discriminate against a White person because they lack the power and that a woman cannot be sexist against a man!

Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM

30,865 posts, read 33,740,582 times
I think they are already more equal than logic sometimes dictates and I say that about almost every identity group. We don't get to define a group on something topical then compare it to other groups who are also defined in topical ways (gender, skin color, nationality, whatever) and pretend that means something specific. Those things only get you a "IN GENERAL" type of info, not something so definitive that you can use it to make valid claims about anything. People are a lot more complex than we seem to give them credit for, that's probably because the ones with the most simplistic ways of thinking are the ones complaining and doing useless studies while those with complex ways of thinking are busy being the most successful and well paid. Nothing will change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or