U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:49 PM

52,527 posts, read 42,221,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Link?
Here is the Huffpo article on the topic.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wage-...eAU6O4wx2CPQyK

Quote:
The AAUW researchers looked at male and female college graduates one year after graduation. After controlling for several relevant factors (though some were left out, as we shall see), they found that the wage gap narrowed to only 6.6 cents. How much of that is attributable to discrimination? As AAUW spokesperson Lisa Maatz candidly said in an NPR interview, “We are still trying to figure that out.”
I'm having trouble finding the original study but Huffpo solidly quotes it.

The people at AAUW that funded the study, no doubt were embarrassed by it and have removed the link and replaced it with the non-statistical 20 cent wage gap bull-crap that doesn't adjust for differences in professions, overtime and a host of other statistically significant factors.

Clearly there is still a gap in some places but it's nowhere near what is claimed with simplistic division of all mens and womens wages and hard science shows that.

Can probably find the original study out there somewhere but it took me a while to hunt this down, I'll let someone else find the original study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:00 PM

5,241 posts, read 1,033,750 times
I wouldn't be surprised if many feminists and similar were still angry even if said Black women averaged $0.91 to a White man's $1.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 7 days ago)

990 posts, read 182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Aren't you 2 saying the same thing? There is no wage gender gap when you apply apples to apples?
yes. I think he was disagreeing that there are no studies that compare apples to apples. apparently there but none that the media uses

Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 PM

37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I see college graduation rates, pay rates, and socio-economic status of Black women consistently rising yet everyone is still stuck in 1980's welfare queen mindset. Who are these black women you guys are talking about? Do you know any black women personally, did you bother to ask black folks if Black women in their families were successful, guessing its a no. I think your measurement is what ever you see at Walmart or while driving around your economically depressed area.

I see plenty of white women working at Wal-Mart, McDonalds, and other non-fine crappy dining establishments. I see white men pan handling daily, working the gas station line as lazily as possible, or cleaning gutters part-time because it's too hot for full-time work .

I guess I should assume all white men are like the ones in the trailer park I pass daily, bunch of lazy do nothings eating tax dollars instead of working hard like the Black Women I know.

Is that how it works? Is that all the proof I need so I can be ignorant too?
" see college graduation rates, pay rates, and socio-economic status of Black women consistently rising (and I am glad to see it) yet everyone is still stuck in 1980's welfare queen mindset.

No different then ALL repubs are racist homo-phobes when 1 speaks out.

"I think your measurement is what ever you see at Walmart", You wouldn't know who goes to Walmart unless you GO THERE YOURSELF AND SEE 1st hand. Gothca'!

"or while driving around your economically depressed area." ANOTHER genius who thinks he knows everything. Hint, I do NOT live in an "economically depressed area." by any means.
"
  • One in three African American, Hispanic and Native-American children live below the poverty line. [Source: NCCP]
  • One in 10 white children lives below the poverty line. [Source: NCCP
41.6 percent of the African American population and 36. 4 percent of the Hispanic population participated in at least one government assistance program in a given month. [Source: United States Census Bureau]"

Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 PM

37,912 posts, read 16,400,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The people at AAUW that funded the study, no doubt were embarrassed by it and have removed the link and replaced it with the non-statistical 20 cent wage gap bull-crap that doesn't adjust for differences in professions, overtime and a host of other statistically significant factors.

Clearly there is still a gap in some places but it's nowhere near what is claimed with simplistic division of all mens and womens wages and hard science shows that.

Can probably find the original study out there somewhere but it took me a while to hunt this down, I'll let someone else find the original study.
"How much of that is attributable to discrimination?"

How much is attribute to the courses they took and the graded they got?

Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
yes. I think he was disagreeing that there are no studies that compare apples to apples. apparently there but none that the media uses
Dude, post #41 I linked to a huffpo article (the media) that cited a statistical study that did compare apples to apples.

I've seen the study itself, done by 2 women, funded by a womens organization but having trouble finding it again but the Huffpo article references it. Their link is dead and now sends you to the womens org's website that somewhat angrily states that they don't neeeed no stinkin science and then claims it really is as simple as dividing mens pay by womens pay.

The irony that the group is the American Association of University Women that are science denying the study they funded themselves is not lost on me.

Regardless, it does indicate there is (still) somewhat of a wage gap but that it's measured more in pennies than in dimes and that the problem is likely most concentrated in certain industries.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 AM

9,643 posts, read 4,934,365 times
Quote:

Graduating to a Pay Gap

https://www.aauw.org/files/2013/02/g...graduation.pdf

Old 08-27-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
^^Thanks! +1 Got tired\frustrated of hunting and dead links...I owe you some more reps in time.

Come on posters. You asked, you got.

This is a valid statistical study from a womens group no less and it tells a fair story unlike all the other crap that gets thrown around. This is not one of those "newsweek" style studies on "red or blue states" done by journalists that likely would fail college algebra.

Frankly, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Huffpo ran an article on it and was even a little snarky in their title about the results.

Blows the womens soccer teams silly 80cent claims out of the water (gee and now they don't want arbitration, but I knew that was coming, it wouldn't go well for them using math instead of emotion to calculate their fair pay) as well as refuting those that claim there is no gap.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:17 PM

15,627 posts, read 8,014,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Observing a majority white classroom and a majority black classroom for about 30 seconds will tell you why whites end up obtaining better jobs than blacks
LOL - only in your racist mind.

I've been in many majority black classrooms (attended an HBCU) and there was nothing of significance between the majority black and white classrooms. FYI if you're a teacher, you are whats wrong with our educational system. Anyone who has an inferior racial view of children doesn't need to be a teacher. Sadly I know and know of many teachers who do this.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:35 PM

15,627 posts, read 8,014,879 times
Quote:
Actually, it really does happen just depends upon the occupation.

My relative was in HR for a major US company (and pretty high up) and they did a lot of govt. contract work with certain ratios that needed to be met. There was constant high demand for women engineers and other roles with large numbers of men in them and it was definitely easier (at that company) to progress to higher levels.

My relative fyi wasn't angry or anything about it, they were just describing the reality of the situation.
There are no ratios that need to be met in hiring for government contractors. I've managed government contractors and been employed at companies who were/are government contractors for the past 10+ years. The consulting business I created was one where I used that experience to provide technical assistance and training to both vendors and companies who do or wanted to do business with the government.

There are no quotas or percentages needed for federal government contractors at all, which is how I know all/most of these comments are falsehoods. It is also rare to have a state/local government have this sort of requirement for contractors.

I have compiled data on probably thousands of companies over the years for certain agencies in regards to their staff and what sort of employees they have on staff. This is required of government contractors - to provide demographics of their employees, but they are not required to hire anyone of a particular background as to do so is actually against federal law if they are a federal contractor. They are encouraged to meet "goals" for hiring and subcontractors but there are usually no consequences if they do not.

I'll note though that many contractors do take the "goals" seriously and they do try to meet the goals. But if they don't, nothing will happen to them so most of them don't. Usually over 90% don't have a diverse employee base. Many of them even have less than 20% women, which is shocking. When you get to management positions, persons of color and women are often non-existent unless it is a minority owned company. Women owned companies (not construction related as many men still have their wives listed as owners of their business thinking they'll get a preference, when for federal contracts they really don't) usually are more diverse.

Not meaning to be argumentative here BTW, but I see folks say stuff like this all the time and just based on my experience, which spans the USA in regards to consulting work and work I did with companies who are government contractors (where I was hired as a consultant) the data doesn't back this up.

I do believe some executives/managers "feel" they will "look bad" due to their lack of diversity and they are afraid for non-existent reasons. The first place I worked that I mentioned earlier, we had a majority black staff. My hiring manager was always worried that she'd be looked upon poorly because we "didn't have enough white people" lol. So she actually did go out of her way to hire white people so she wouldn't "look" discriminatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or