Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Link?
by James Chung of Reach Advisors

But now there's evidence that the ship may finally be turning around: according to a new analysis of 2,000 communities by a market research company, in 147 out of 150 of the biggest cities in the U.S., the median full-time salaries of young women are 8% higher than those of the guys in their peer group.

He attributes the earnings reversal overwhelmingly to one factor: education. For every two guys who graduate from college or get a higher degree, three women do

Study: Young, Single, Childless Women Earn More Than Men - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 PM

59,021 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, that's not true.

I posted a link to a statistically solid study that was performed for a woman's group and it found statistical reasons explain all but about 5 cents (approximately) of the pay gap. They normalized for all of the stuff like types of jobs, taking years off work for kids, overtime and so forth.

It was a very sound study and then scientifically correctly concluded that the 5 cents that could not be explained were not automatically due to gender unfairness but likely some of it was, which is logical.

Heck, even on NPR they had a guy explaining that the 83 cent figure that gets thrown around is garbage and that the statistically adjusted difference is quite small and really mostly anchored in a few industries while not prevalent at all in others.
"It was a very sound study" and you are an expert on "studies"!

Old 08-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
How about equal work equal pay? Or how about, it doesn't matter the color of the skin but the content of the character? As OP mentioned, occupation should be taken into consideration. You see tons of black women working jobs that were never created for grown ass adults trying to raise a family. They are often working jobs that would have gone to teenagers 30 years ago. Whose fault is that? Whatever is trending on Twitter will not change that.

There used to be something called personal responsibility. It was accepted that your fate was generally determined by your own actions. The teachers and politicians have brainwashed people to reject the knowledge and lessons handed down from generation to generation. Why are "progressives" working tirelessly to create an underclass that has no will to lift themselves up? What have been the real world results of this madness?

" I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King Jr.

I think we can all agree that MLK had it right. So why are certain minorities so frequently hiding behind their race in 2019??? The KKK is not holding them down. Membership is minuscule and they hold no power. We defeated the Nazis, can't blame them. I think America has done away with all the institutions that could be blamed for holding minorities down.
"They are often working jobs that would have gone to teenagers 30 years ago. Whose fault is that?"

Maybe if they hadn't dropped out if high school and in many cases to have baby with no father around...

Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Abortion IS birth control. The right wants to stop abortion. The right also wants to stop covering birth control pills from the prescription drug coverage part of health insurance plans. The right wants to increase unwed teenage mothers by removing birth control. The left supports birth control.
"The right wants to stop abortion."

Do you know ANYTHING about the woman who started planned Parenthood and WHY? I doubt it.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
Either way, people should have enough sense to not make a baby if they're not ready mentally, emotionally and financially.

BTW, regardless of what the Right wants, abortion and birth control ARE currently available. So is abstinence. Nobody is stopping people from using these options.
"abortion and birth control ARE currently available." AND condoms are given out FREE in a lot of high schools.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:44 PM

5,979 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"They are often working jobs that would have gone to teenagers 30 years ago. Whose fault is that?"

Maybe if they hadn't dropped out if high school and in many cases to have baby with no father around...
I see college graduation rates, pay rates, and socio-economic status of Black women consistently rising yet everyone is still stuck in 1980's welfare queen mindset. Who are these black women you guys are talking about? Do you know any black women personally, did you bother to ask black folks if Black women in their families were successful, guessing its a no. I think your measurement is what ever you see at Walmart or while driving around your economically depressed area.

I see plenty of white women working at Wal-Mart, McDonalds, and other non-fine crappy dining establishments. I see white men pan handling daily, working the gas station line as lazily as possible, or cleaning gutters part-time because it's too hot for full-time work .

I guess I should assume all white men are like the ones in the trailer park I pass daily, bunch of lazy do nothings eating tax dollars instead of working hard like the Black Women I know.

Is that how it works? Is that all the proof I need so I can be ignorant too?

Old 08-26-2019, 12:49 PM

78,367 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Link?
Here is the Huffpo article on the topic.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wage-...eAU6O4wx2CPQyK

Quote:
The AAUW researchers looked at male and female college graduates one year after graduation. After controlling for several relevant factors (though some were left out, as we shall see), they found that the wage gap narrowed to only 6.6 cents. How much of that is attributable to discrimination? As AAUW spokesperson Lisa Maatz candidly said in an NPR interview, “We are still trying to figure that out.”
I'm having trouble finding the original study but Huffpo solidly quotes it.

The people at AAUW that funded the study, no doubt were embarrassed by it and have removed the link and replaced it with the non-statistical 20 cent wage gap bull-crap that doesn't adjust for differences in professions, overtime and a host of other statistically significant factors.

Clearly there is still a gap in some places but it's nowhere near what is claimed with simplistic division of all mens and womens wages and hard science shows that.

Can probably find the original study out there somewhere but it took me a while to hunt this down, I'll let someone else find the original study.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
I wouldn't be surprised if many feminists and similar were still angry even if said Black women averaged $0.91 to a White man's $1.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Aren't you 2 saying the same thing? There is no wage gender gap when you apply apples to apples?
yes. I think he was disagreeing that there are no studies that compare apples to apples. apparently there but none that the media uses

Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I see college graduation rates, pay rates, and socio-economic status of Black women consistently rising yet everyone is still stuck in 1980's welfare queen mindset. Who are these black women you guys are talking about? Do you know any black women personally, did you bother to ask black folks if Black women in their families were successful, guessing its a no. I think your measurement is what ever you see at Walmart or while driving around your economically depressed area.

I see plenty of white women working at Wal-Mart, McDonalds, and other non-fine crappy dining establishments. I see white men pan handling daily, working the gas station line as lazily as possible, or cleaning gutters part-time because it's too hot for full-time work .

I guess I should assume all white men are like the ones in the trailer park I pass daily, bunch of lazy do nothings eating tax dollars instead of working hard like the Black Women I know.

Is that how it works? Is that all the proof I need so I can be ignorant too?
" see college graduation rates, pay rates, and socio-economic status of Black women consistently rising (and I am glad to see it) yet everyone is still stuck in 1980's welfare queen mindset.

No different then ALL repubs are racist homo-phobes when 1 speaks out.

"I think your measurement is what ever you see at Walmart", You wouldn't know who goes to Walmart unless you GO THERE YOURSELF AND SEE 1st hand. Gothca'!

"or while driving around your economically depressed area." ANOTHER genius who thinks he knows everything. Hint, I do NOT live in an "economically depressed area." by any means.
"
  • One in three African American, Hispanic and Native-American children live below the poverty line. [Source: NCCP]
  • One in 10 white children lives below the poverty line. [Source: NCCP
41.6 percent of the African American population and 36. 4 percent of the Hispanic population participated in at least one government assistance program in a given month. [Source: United States Census Bureau]"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies